Advice for Moms

MaddiesMama09
Does anyone have any home remedies to help an adult ear infection? UPDATE
January 30, 2013 at 7:14 AM
This may seem ridiculous, but I have yet to find a new primary care dr (we got new insurance) and I'm having trouble finding anybody that will accept new patients right now so my only other option is urgent care, which id really prefer not to go to.

That being said, I'm 90 percent sure I have an ear infection in my right ear. The pain is horrible and keeping me from sleeping. Tylenol temporarily relieves the pain but nothing else seems to help. I'm pretty anti antibiotic (especially right now because I'm still nursing my son) and I'm willing to bet my ear infection is viral (I've had colds off and on for over a month now).

Any random home remedies out there for this sort of thing?

UPDATE: When I'm wrong, I will gladly admit it. I woke up this morning crying in pain and was unable to walk because I was so dizzy. The moment I stood up, I threw up everywhere and then passed out. I had my dad drive me to urgent care this morning (hubby works 2 hours away) and it turns out I have blown BOTH of my ear drums! Home remedies definitely work for some things but not for this infection I had. Just took my first dose of antibiotics (begrudgingly) but I gotta get this cleared up.

Thank you all for your recommendations. I think I should've tried some of these WAY sooner than I did. :)

Replies

• MaddiesMama09
    January 30, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    Bump. Anyone?
  • chairhead28
    January 30, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    Drop a drop or two of your BM in your ear, wait three seconds and turn your ear over..do it three times a day and in about three days, you should be fine. There are all sorts of antibodies good in BM for acne, infections, cuts, etc. :)
  • xanayda
    by xanayda
    January 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    When i was younger my uncle cut an onion in half put it in the microwave to get really warm and layed that on my ear. it was really stinky but it made it feel better. lol i don't know why.
  • MaddiesMama09
    January 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    Why didn't I think of that?! Thanks. Definitely going to try.

Quoting chairhead28:

Drop a drop or two of your BM in your ear, wait three seconds and turn your ear over..do it three times a day and in about three days, you should be fine. There are all sorts of antibodies good in BM for acne, infections, cuts, etc. :)
  • Queen_Bree
    January 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Infections require antibiotics. If it isn't an infection try these.

didn’t think I’d ever fit this neatly into the “nuts” or “off the grid” category.  I’ve always been a rebel, but never like this.

My 4-year-old son woke up Friday morning around 5 a.m. with pain, that by 7:00 he could articulate as being in his ear after coming to our room three times.  He is a tough kid, so I knew that he was really in pain when he couldn’t stop whimpering, and the nail in the coffin was that he said he wouldn’t care if we missed school to go to the doctor.  Out the door we went!

I couldn’t wait to get my hands on some drugs to make him feel better.

I wanted to know what was wrong and how to fix it, and I wanted it taken care of NOW.

An ear infection is not something to be taken lightly.  They are really, really painful, as I learned when I got my first (and only) ear infection as an adult when my son was a baby.  In a twist of fate, I got the ear infection when it would have been common for him, and I have been teething for a few years – cutting my wisdom teeth – when my kids should be the ones with new pearly whites.  Instead of living vicariously through my children, they’re living vicariously through me – in the pain category!

After diagnosis and prescription, I wanted the quick fix so badly I even tried to go to the closest possible pharmacy on the way home.  The mechanical drawer at the drive-through was broken, and my son said he’d rather wait the 20 minutes to get to our end of town than get out of the van and go in.  Praise be to God, because I forgot you have to wait half an hour for the order to be filled.

By the time Buddy Boy had a snooze on the way home, waited the prescribed time and I got both kids bundled up to go, he said he didn’t want the ear drops to relieve the pain instantly. He was feeling fine.  I had been uncomfortable about the antibiotics all morning, and with the help of my Twitter community, I had some natural remedies for the ear infection up my sleeve.  I couldn’t give him the first dose of antibiotics until I had read a little more and talked to my husband.

I knew that if we started the antibiotic regimen, we needed to finish it. All ten days’ worth.  For a pain that had only lasted 2-3 hours, that made me nervous.  I was thinking:

1. What if he doesn’t need the antibiotic?  Maybe we can get over this without it.
    2. If he has the antibiotic, his natural flora (the balance of good and bad bacteria) will be off, and he’ll be more susceptible to bacterial problems over the next few weeks.  We can eat a lot of homemade yogurt, but we already do.
    3. If he doesn’t neeeeeeed the antibiotic, are we contributing to bacterial resistance if he takes it and shares it with our ecosystem?
    4. I read that some ear infections are viral and wouldn’t be touched by an antibiotic anyway.  The thought of 10 days of medicine for nothing makes me shudder.
    5. What did our grandparents do before antibiotics?  (Husband says: “They were in pain.”  I said, “But he’s not any more.  I think they always had some sort of remedy for earaches.”  Hubs:  “They died a lot sooner.”  Me: “Not from earaches!!!”)
    6. My husband thinks I’m nuts to “experiment” on our kid.  Am I nuts?
    7. If he was in pain, I would give him the antibiotic.  Can I get away with waiting since he’s feeling fine?
    8. Is it a problem to put off the first dose?  Now I’ll be a half day or a whole day farther away from healing…

GarlicWhile I waited to make the final decision, I crushed a clove of fresh garlic for each foot and put it in my son’s socks, much to his dismay.  And yes, it felt a little like voodoo.  Would you do? UPDATE: Many folks have since told me that raw garlic can be pretty intense, almost abrasive, and that I’m lucky it didn’t hurt my son’s skin. Yikes! I would cut it with oil to do this again, but not I’ve purchased some garlic oil from a health foods store that I use instead.

I crushed more garlic and warmed it with extra virgin olive oil, allowed it to cool to just above body temp, and poured a few drops in his ear.  We sang the ABCs twice and he tilted it out.  We did that about three times throughout the day.  Voodoo?  Not quite.  EVOO and garlic both have antibacterial properties, and anecdotal evidence confirms that the warm oil also takes away the pain in the short term.

I also wouldn’t let the poor child drink his milk after a Twitter friend mentioned avoiding dairy to avoid ear infections and remembering that one of my milk group ladies doesn’t let her kids have milk when they have colds.

Our house – and my son’s head – smelled like a posh Italian restaurant all weekend.  But no one was waking up in the night with an ear ache, praise be to God.

So, my husband may joke that he’s never heard of someone curing an ear infection by pouring FOOD in their ears, but the medicine remains on the kitchen table while the food in the ear and the socks seems to have done the trick.

I post this not to teach you anything, but because I’m still in awe that I tried it…and it worked.  But don’t skip your medicine on my account – be sure to do your own research and make your own decisions.  As for me, my pediatrician is probably reading this.  *cringe*  I’m wondering what she’s thinking!  (I’m still wondering how I feel about the whole thing…)

UPDATE: Two years and two more ear infections later, this is what else I’ve learned about battling infection naturally:

• A Natural Home Remedies Medicine Cabinet – everything I know!
    • Antibiotics vs. Essential Oils – same son had antibiotics for strep, then developed a nasty ear infection immediately following. I have lots of new thoughts on the hazards of antibiotics after that…and we managed to let another prescription hit the garbage instead of my son’s system by using essential oils…
    • After the third ear infection that we battled naturally, a double job with two ruptured eardrums, (I haven’t written the post on this, yet) I recommend:
      • USE THE GARLIC
      • Oil of oregano didn’t do it for us this time, and I was SO disappointed. I thought it was supposed to be a very potent antibiotic…? Be sure to use probiotics if you use oil of oregano or any antibiotic, natural or unnatural.
      • Warm compresses for pain is the very quickest form of relief. Try a microwavable heat thingy.
      • Ruptured eardrums are ok – they may increase the child’s risk of needing hearing aids when they’re elderly, but it needs to happen multiple times to cause that kind of scar tissue. It’s blessed relief when they rupture, actually, because the pressure releases and the germs can come out.
      • A friend swears by Hyland’s homeopathic ear drops, (also sold for infants), although the advice came too late for this latest bout. :( Check your local stores as this item can be found in big box shops like Meijer. I’m ordering some from Amazon to have READY for next time!
      • The same friend uses olive leaf extract (or here or here) to fight infection, recommended by “her crunchy nurse practitioner friend” and says it’s amazing. (8-10 drops for a toddler, half that for infant, mixed in OJ because it’s yucky tasting)
      • A reader recommended mullein, and this one is the brand of garlic oil that worked with the oregano on ear infection no. 2 (and I wish I had used it on no. 3).
      • Another friend swears by “onion juice,” which I believe is just food processed raw onion, dripping the juice right into the ear. Don’t quote me on that one. (My pediatrician would say that anything in the ear can’t actually get to the infection, though, so…???)
      • Another friend tried Trilight’s ear drops, a company I trust, but they didn’t work (quickly enough) for her child. I now have them on hand anyway, because I’d rather have too many choices when the child is crying than wish I could…
    • Herbal Nurturing – an eBook by one of my colleagues that has given me even more ammo in my toolbox to fight infection naturally.

What if you’re already using antibiotics (or end up filling the prescription after the natural remedies don’t seem to be cutting it)? Then you switch modes to damage control. Antibiotics are sometimes necessary, but that doesn’t change the fact that they’re nasty for the body. Here’s how we are recovering and rebuilding after an antibiotics regimen. (By the way, I hope it goes without saying that you must always, always finish the entire prescription, no matter what.)

For your further information, I read the following online:

Read more at http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2010/01/18/kids-ear-infections-a-home-remedy/#69KCsOEd3Gm1smcA.99 

• MaddiesMama09
    January 30, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    I believe it. Onions are antiviral/antibacterial, much like garlic. I would've never thought to try that but I'm so desperate that I will certainly be doing this too. Thanks!

Quoting xanayda:

When i was younger my uncle cut an onion in half put it in the microwave to get really warm and layed that on my ear. it was really stinky but it made it feel better. lol i don't know why.
  • lwalker270
    January 30, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Ugh, I just went through this a couple of weeks ago.  I took garlic which has antibacterial properties, but with you breastfeeding, it could bother your son.

The other thing I did was warm, moist heat and took ibuprofen because it's an anti-inflammatory.

I've heard about using bm, but don't have any personal experience with that.  If you try it, let us know if it helps!

Hope you feel better!

• MaddiesMama09
    January 30, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    Antibiotics do nothing to cure viral infections. 2/3 of all ear infections are viral. 1/3 bacterial. I got chronic ear infections as a kid and they were always in conjunction with a cold virus that I had recently. I have been sick with cold/flu garbage off and on for about 4 weeks now. My daughter brings all kinds of germs from preschool.

Thanks for the link! Will definitely look into trying some of those suggestions.

Quoting Queen_Bree:

didn’t think I’d ever fit this neatly into the “nuts” or “off the grid” category.  I’ve always been a rebel, but never like this.

My 4-year-old son woke up Friday morning around 5 a.m. with pain, that by 7:00 he could articulate as being in his ear after coming to our room three times.  He is a tough kid, so I knew that he was really in pain when he couldn’t stop whimpering, and the nail in the coffin was that he said he wouldn’t care if we missed school to go to the doctor.  Out the door we went!

I wanted to know what was wrong and how to fix it, and I wanted it taken care of NOW.

An ear infection is not something to be taken lightly.  They are really, really painful, as I learned when I got my first (and only) ear infection as an adult when my son was a baby.  In a twist of fate, I got the ear infection when it would have been common for him, and I have been teething for a few years – cutting my wisdom teeth – when my kids should be the ones with new pearly whites.  Instead of living vicariously through my children, they’re living vicariously through me – in the pain category!

After diagnosis and prescription, I wanted the quick fix so badly I even tried to go to the closest possible pharmacy on the way home.  The mechanical drawer at the drive-through was broken, and my son said he’d rather wait the 20 minutes to get to our end of town than get out of the van and go in.  Praise be to God, because I forgot you have to wait half an hour for the order to be filled.

By the time Buddy Boy had a snooze on the way home, waited the prescribed time and I got both kids bundled up to go, he said he didn’t want the ear drops to relieve the pain instantly. He was feeling fine.  I had been uncomfortable about the antibiotics all morning, and with the help of my Twitter community, I had some natural remedies for the ear infection up my sleeve.  I couldn’t give him the first dose of antibiotics until I had read a little more and talked to my husband.

I knew that if we started the antibiotic regimen, we needed to finish it. All ten days’ worth.  For a pain that had only lasted 2-3 hours, that made me nervous.  I was thinking:

1. What if he doesn’t need the antibiotic?  Maybe we can get over this without it.
    2. If he has the antibiotic, his natural flora (the balance of good and bad bacteria) will be off, and he’ll be more susceptible to bacterial problems over the next few weeks.  We can eat a lot of homemade yogurt, but we already do.
    3. If he doesn’t neeeeeeed the antibiotic, are we contributing to bacterial resistance if he takes it and shares it with our ecosystem?
    4. I read that some ear infections are viral and wouldn’t be touched by an antibiotic anyway.  The thought of 10 days of medicine for nothing makes me shudder.
    5. What did our grandparents do before antibiotics?  (Husband says: “They were in pain.”  I said, “But he’s not any more.  I think they always had some sort of remedy for earaches.”  Hubs:  “They died a lot sooner.”  Me: “Not from earaches!!!”)
    7. If he was in pain, I would give him the antibiotic.  Can I get away with waiting since he’s feeling fine?
    8. Is it a problem to put off the first dose?  Now I’ll be a half day or a whole day farther away from healing…

GarlicWhile I waited to make the final decision, I crushed a clove of fresh garlic for each foot and put it in my son’s socks, much to his dismay.  And yes, it felt a little like voodoo.  Would you do? UPDATE: Many folks have since told me that raw garlic can be pretty intense, almost abrasive, and that I’m lucky it didn’t hurt my son’s skin. Yikes! I would cut it with oil to do this again, but not I’ve purchased some garlic oil from a health foods store that I use instead.

I crushed more garlic and warmed it with extra virgin olive oil, allowed it to cool to just above body temp, and poured a few drops in his ear.  We sang the ABCs twice and he tilted it out.  We did that about three times throughout the day.  Voodoo?  Not quite.  EVOO and garlic both have antibacterial properties, and anecdotal evidence confirms that the warm oil also takes away the pain in the short term.

I also wouldn’t let the poor child drink his milk after a Twitter friend mentioned avoiding dairy to avoid ear infections and remembering that one of my milk group ladies doesn’t let her kids have milk when they have colds.

Our house – and my son’s head – smelled like a posh Italian restaurant all weekend.  But no one was waking up in the night with an ear ache, praise be to God.

So, my husband may joke that he’s never heard of someone curing an ear infection by pouring FOOD in their ears, but the medicine remains on the kitchen table while the food in the ear and the socks seems to have done the trick.

I post this not to teach you anything, but because I’m still in awe that I tried it…and it worked.  But don’t skip your medicine on my account – be sure to do your own research and make your own decisions.  As for me, my pediatrician is probably reading this.  *cringe*  I’m wondering what she’s thinking!  (I’m still wondering how I feel about the whole thing…)

UPDATE: Two years and two more ear infections later, this is what else I’ve learned about battling infection naturally:

• Antibiotics vs. Essential Oils – same son had antibiotics for strep, then developed a nasty ear infection immediately following. I have lots of new thoughts on the hazards of antibiotics after that…and we managed to let another prescription hit the garbage instead of my son’s system by using essential oils…
    • After the third ear infection that we battled naturally, a double job with two ruptured eardrums, (I haven’t written the post on this, yet) I recommend:
      • USE THE GARLIC
      • Oil of oregano didn’t do it for us this time, and I was SO disappointed. I thought it was supposed to be a very potent antibiotic…? Be sure to use probiotics if you use oil of oregano or any antibiotic, natural or unnatural.
      • Warm compresses for pain is the very quickest form of relief. Try a microwavable heat thingy.
      • Ruptured eardrums are ok – they may increase the child’s risk of needing hearing aids when they’re elderly, but it needs to happen multiple times to cause that kind of scar tissue. It’s blessed relief when they rupture, actually, because the pressure releases and the germs can come out.
      • A friend swears by Hyland’s homeopathic ear drops, (also sold for infants), although the advice came too late for this latest bout. :( Check your local stores as this item can be found in big box shops like Meijer. I’m ordering some from Amazon to have READY for next time!
      • The same friend uses olive leaf extract (or here or here) to fight infection, recommended by “her crunchy nurse practitioner friend” and says it’s amazing. (8-10 drops for a toddler, half that for infant, mixed in OJ because it’s yucky tasting)
      • A reader recommended mullein, and this one is the brand of garlic oil that worked with the oregano on ear infection no. 2 (and I wish I had used it on no. 3).
      • Another friend swears by “onion juice,” which I believe is just food processed raw onion, dripping the juice right into the ear. Don’t quote me on that one. (My pediatrician would say that anything in the ear can’t actually get to the infection, though, so…???)
      • Another friend tried Trilight’s ear drops, a company I trust, but they didn’t work (quickly enough) for her child. I now have them on hand anyway, because I’d rather have too many choices when the child is crying than wish I could…
    • Herbal Nurturing – an eBook by one of my colleagues that has given me even more ammo in my toolbox to fight infection naturally.

What if you’re already using antibiotics (or end up filling the prescription after the natural remedies don’t seem to be cutting it)? Then you switch modes to damage control. Antibiotics are sometimes necessary, but that doesn’t change the fact that they’re nasty for the body. Here’s how we are recovering and rebuilding after an antibiotics regimen. (By the way, I hope it goes without saying that you must always, always finish the entire prescription, no matter what.)

Read more at http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2010/01/18/kids-ear-infections-a-home-remedy/#69KCsOEd3Gm1smcA.99 

• MaddiesMama09
    January 30, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    Thank you! Yeah I was worried if I start taking garlic supplements that it might cause a tummy ache in my son. But, it might be worth a try!

I probably should be taking ibuprofen instead of Tylenol. I also read aleve helps with the inflammation too.

I'm gonna try the breast milk thing and I'll let you know! Thanks so much!

Quoting lwalker270:

Ugh, I just went through this a couple of weeks ago.  I took garlic which has antibacterial properties, but with you breastfeeding, it could bother your son.

The other thing I did was warm, moist heat and took ibuprofen because it's an anti-inflammatory.

I've heard about using bm, but don't have any personal experience with that.  If you try it, let us know if it helps!

Hope you feel better!

• Queen_Bree
    January 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I didnt say viral infections... I just said infections assuming people know that a viurs isnt cured by antibiotics. In the future I will be more specific. Thanks for the detail and correction. I wish you the best.

Quoting MaddiesMama09:

Antibiotics do nothing to cure viral infections. 2/3 of all ear infections are viral. 1/3 bacterial. I got chronic ear infections as a kid and they were always in conjunction with a cold virus that I had recently. I have been sick with cold/flu garbage off and on for about 4 weeks now. My daughter brings all kinds of germs from preschool.

Thanks for the link! Will definitely look into trying some of those suggestions.

Quoting Queen_Bree:

• USE THE GARLIC

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts