Advice for Moms

mamalusbear
Pregnancy and Hallucinations
January 30, 2013 at 12:47 AM

So hubby and I took a walk tonight, and after I got back I started having hallucinations.....they went away for awhile, but now I'm up doing the dishes and they're back!  WTF is going on?  I went to the OB today and got a clean bill of health.....I drink plenty of water and eat healthy, so I'm not sure what's going on.  Anyone else have this issue during pregnancy?

Replies

• Mrsfarr
    by Mrsfarr
    January 30, 2013 at 12:51 AM
    I've had hallucinations since before I got pregnant so I have no clue.
    Mine are like bugs crawling or little things moving out of the corner of my eye. My neurons fire in a funny way and send these signals out. Are yours like mine or are they full on "do you see that unicorn over there?" hallucinations?
  • la_bella_vita
    January 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM
    I had this too but only when I was pregnant and post partum.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Mine are like bugs crawling or little things moving out of the corner of my eye. My neurons fire in a funny way and send these signals out. Are yours like mine or are they full on "do you see that unicorn over there?" hallucinations?
  • mamalusbear
    January 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM

It was more like just lights...I'm wondering if my blood sugar was low.  I had a glass of milk and was fine afterwards.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

• lovegrandbaby
    January 30, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I haven't had them, and didn't when I was pregnant.  Could be just a drop in sugar level, because I know when my sugar level drops I get little flickers of light spots, then black spots.  You could always check your sugar levels, or tell your ob about it if it keeps happening.

• SlightlyPerfect
    January 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM

How far along are you? It could be your blood volume increasing.

Quoting mamalusbear:

It was more like just lights...I'm wondering if my blood sugar was low.  I had a glass of milk and was fine afterwards.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

• mamalusbear
    January 30, 2013 at 3:37 PM

28 weeks today :).

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Quoting mamalusbear:

Quoting Mrsfarr:

• SlightlyPerfect
    January 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Probably not then. I'm guessing blood sugar or pressure.

Did you feel anything else, like faint?

Quoting mamalusbear:

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Quoting mamalusbear:

Quoting Mrsfarr:

• mamalusbear
    January 30, 2013 at 3:54 PM

No, nothing else.  I went to the OB and my BP was really good.  I wonder if I was just running around too much

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Quoting mamalusbear:

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Quoting mamalusbear:

Quoting Mrsfarr:

• SlightlyPerfect
    January 30, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I'm not pregnant, but honestly? I sometimes see stars for a bit if I look at something closely and move my eyes quickly, like when I'm shaving my armpit and need to look as closely as I can. The stress on the retina and eye muscles may cause it.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless it happens again. Weird shit happens when you're preggo.

Quoting mamalusbear:

No, nothing else.  I went to the OB and my BP was really good.  I wonder if I was just running around too much

• kirbymom
    January 30, 2013 at 4:02 PM

@ mamalusbear

I had the same happen to me when I was pregnant.  but only when either one or bother were below normal.  You should try frequently snacking throughout the day for a week and see if that doesn't help.  Always keep a jar of peanut butter and a jar of syrup. If you find that you can not eat or your food isn't turning the starches into sugar fast enogh, 1 table spoon of either one will put you back to normal in about 10 - 15 minutes or less.  

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Quoting mamalusbear:

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Quoting mamalusbear:

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Advice for Moms