Advice for Moms

hot_momma633
cloth diapers
January 28, 2013 at 3:27 PM
expecting baby #2in september and was looking at trying cloth diapers this time around. whats your guys opinion on this? any good advice or tips?

Replies

• breebree04
    January 28, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I never used them. Was never interested in using them, I always thought it would be more work and its already enough work taking care of a baby. Ive heard people say it saves money since you dont have to keep buying diapers but I would think you would have to buy alot of cloth diapers and then you have more laundry to do all the time

• GELiz
    by GELiz
    January 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I only ever used cloth diapers. I'm a grandma now. I kept a bucket with a latched llid that had bleach water in it. I would wishy- washy the poopy diapers in the comode and then stick them in there. It kept the stink out and started the bleach process. I did a load every day and hung them outside to dry. We did not have much money when we got back from the mission field, so even in the winter I hung them to dry; sometimes on a wooden rack over a heater.

positives: you save on putting nasty stuff in landfills, and it is much cheaper.

negatives: you must always carry plastic bags to keep them in your diaper bag until you get home.

The cloth diapers must be changed more regulary- every two hours- than disposables.

They make a lot of thickness between the legs, unless you get the kind that are really nice and you do not have to fold them.

Quoting hot_momma633:

expecting baby #2in september and was looking at trying cloth diapers this time around. whats your guys opinion on this? any good advice or tips?

• cowgirlsmommy
    January 28, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    I cloth diaper. Join the Cuties with Cloth Booties group.
    I will tell you though it is not a lot of work. They are not messy. There are no buckets full of bleach water or toilet dunking. There are less rashes, less leaks, less trash but a lot more cuteness.
    I keep our dirty diapers in a standard diaper pail with a cloth pail liner. When we're out somewhere, they go in a wetbag. On wash day I toss them in the washer with some cloth diaper safe detergent.
    How many diapers you have depends on how often you want to wash. Many people also buy extra just because there are so many cute ones.
  • bpryce
    by bpryce
    January 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    I love them. I started for the savings. Im addicted because of the health, environmental, and cuteness factors. I will never use disposables again. Join cuties with cloth booties. There is a sticky in the group that explains everything cloth related. And then if you have specific questions those mamas are great.
  • MrsJoe125
    January 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I wanted to do cloth diapers, but I had health issues that caused dh to think it was better if I didn't add a load of laundry a day to my life.

I say, if you can do it, go for it.  As far as I know, it's FAR more economical.  I did the math for how many diapers a baby uses and the cloth diapers would have paid for themselves before my kids were out of newborn size; they all started out big (7 10; 8 3; 8 15; 715).

• Raeann11
    January 28, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I love cloth diapering and so wish I had know more about them with my first two. I thought off them as the old style way. But they are so easy and cute. Yes I have a day I have to be home to get them done. But really they are not bad at all. I bring them down, put them in the wash, get it going and then go do what I want and need to do. Go down 35 mins later. Start it up again and put in soap. Then back up to what I want to do and need to do. Then back down 35 mims later for the last wash. 35 mins later I am down to put in the dry what needs to go in there and hang the rest up on a cloth line either outside or inside.

I worried it would raise our water bill or electrical bill and it never did. I am a SAHM so it is no big deal to have to do them for hald a day.

• CatFishMom
    January 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I really liked cloth diapering-I used FuzziBunz and enjoyed them-but both my boys ended up with infections in their poor little peepees from the amonia, even if I changed the diaper every two hours with my little one (my older was only using them for overnights so that wasnt an option). I spoke with the doctor about it and he didnt know why it would happen but the diapers were out for us. I'll try one more time if baby number three is a girl, but Im not risking it if it's a boy. (sigh) I hope you have better luck!

• Mommy2justone
    February 16, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I loved flips, easy to use and wash! 
    We are fostering and plan on cloth diapering all of our babies! Good luck! 

• alexsmomaubrys2
    February 16, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Bleach? Doesn't that cause the babies to break out?

Quoting GELiz:

I only ever used cloth diapers. I'm a grandma now. I kept a bucket with a latched llid that had bleach water in it. I would wishy- washy the poopy diapers in the comode and then stick them in there. It kept the stink out and started the bleach process. I did a load every day and hung them outside to dry. We did not have much money when we got back from the mission field, so even in the winter I hung them to dry; sometimes on a wooden rack over a heater.

positives: you save on putting nasty stuff in landfills, and it is much cheaper.

negatives: you must always carry plastic bags to keep them in your diaper bag until you get home.

The cloth diapers must be changed more regulary- every two hours- than disposables.

They make a lot of thickness between the legs, unless you get the kind that are really nice and you do not have to fold them.

Quoting hot_momma633:

• GELiz
    by GELiz
    February 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM

NO, because when the bucket gets full, you wash them and do an extra rinse- My babies had beautiful bottoms- always as their diapers were checked very frequently and changed.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Bleach? Doesn't that cause the babies to break out?

Quoting GELiz:

Quoting hot_momma633:

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts