Advice for Moms

angmarie0925
asking people not to buy my kids toys
January 28, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Is there a easy way not to sound mean to ask family and friends not to buy my boys any toys for birthday and chirstmas? They are 2 and 3 with too many toys already. Is there a way to set up a college saving at a bank they could add money to instead of buying toys? Whats your opinion?

Replies

• knoxmomof2
    January 29, 2013 at 8:19 AM

If they ask, tell them. If they don't, be appreciative of their thoughtfulness and purge some of the old toys to make room for the new. 

• ScrChk23
    January 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    Suggest a yearly membership to the local zoo or state park or museum
  • ScrChk23
    January 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    Books
  • ScrChk23
    January 29, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    Tickets to a local sporting event (college game)
  • CatFishMom
    January 30, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Personally I wouldnt ask for money-I think it's kind of crass but thats just me-but Ive found that the best way to avoid toys (my kids have tons, too) is to simply suggest other things. Im constantly telling people books because my boys love books, and I send my grandparents (who like to buy random stuff) lists of the books they dont have. It's been working great! And when I do get toys from people who dont listen, I let them play with them for a while and when they get bored (unless they love the toy) I sell it and get them something they actually need or put it in their banks.

Advice for Moms