Advice for Moms

RandiBear
Bedtime Woes
January 27, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Help!!! lol

My son will NOT sleep in his bed. Last year he stopped sleeping with the light off. Nightlights will not work. His room must be 100% lit or he screams hysterically, to the point of making himself sick. He says that the monsters outside look in his windows when the lights are off. This all happened literally in one night. He was fine when I put him to bed, all lights off (he hated even a nightlight then). An hour later, he was a screaming, inconsolable mess. I turned the lights on, he was fine and went right back to bed. It has been that way ever since (almost a year now).

Now, he wont sleep in his bed anymore. He would rather sleep on his floor or beanbag chair. This wouldn't be too big of an issue except that since he has been doing it for the past 4 months, he has gotten incredibly crabby. You can tell he's sore, stiff, and miserable all day. He is also staying sick, I think because his immune system has lowered because he is not getting restful sleep (on the floor, which IS carpeted by the way, with the light on).

My question is, how do I get him to sleep in his bed with the lights off again? I'm just worried that it's going to really start effecting his long-term health and I am at my wits end.

Replies

• jhslove
    by jhslove
    January 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I'm wondering--if he really wants to sleep on the floor, why not set up a floor bed for him? Either a mattress on the floor (no bedframe), or just a comfortable bunch of blankets, pillows, etc. If he wants to sleep on the floor, but the issue is just that he's not getting restful sleep there, how about setting it up so that when he sleeps there it's restorative sleep?

Kids go through weird phases where they want to sleep in unusual positions, places, etc. I remember when I was in middle school and high school, if I couldn't sleep, I'd sleep on the floor. I don't know why it worked, it just did.

Setting up a floor bed wouldn't solve the problem of his being afraid, but if he's going to insist on sleeping on the floor, at least that part you can make better for him. The fear is just a phase--it will pass eventually.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    January 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM
    Get a blind so he cannot see out.

Quoting RandiBear:

Okay, I want to address a couple of you, about the bed issue. He isn't afraid of the bed, he just doesn't like it. He actually crawls under the bed to play lol. What he's afraid of is outside his window. At 3am today he woke up hysterical again and pointing out the window. We are now in a basement apartment so his window is at ground level.

Also, he doesn't leave his room when he gets up so half the time I don't know he has gotten out of bed until I get him up in the morning. He just moves from the bed to the floor or his beanbag. He wont sleep anywhere except his room unless he is over-tired.

Tonight we are going to rearrange his room, put up curtains, and try a new bedtime routine using the monster spray. I am wondering if he has seen deer outside his window with their big antlers and that's what is scaring him now. I'm going to sleep in his room for the next few days to see if I can't get him to sleep in his bed all night. Also, I have put a small camera up in his window so I can see if anyone is coming up and trying to scare him because I will be pressing charges if they are.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    January 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    My dd slept on the floor, no mattress, nothing for 6 months. She could sleep anywhere but our room. and she chose the hallway.

Quoting jhslove:

I'm wondering--if he really wants to sleep on the floor, why not set up a floor bed for him? Either a mattress on the floor (no bedframe), or just a comfortable bunch of blankets, pillows, etc. If he wants to sleep on the floor, but the issue is just that he's not getting restful sleep there, how about setting it up so that when he sleeps there it's restorative sleep?

Kids go through weird phases where they want to sleep in unusual positions, places, etc. I remember when I was in middle school and high school, if I couldn't sleep, I'd sleep on the floor. I don't know why it worked, it just did.

Setting up a floor bed wouldn't solve the problem of his being afraid, but if he's going to insist on sleeping on the floor, at least that part you can make better for him. The fear is just a phase--it will pass eventually.

• -PB
    by -PB
    January 27, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I let my dd sleep with a small table lamp on. 

• RandiBear
    January 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM

You know, my DH asked me today if it might be the bedframe he doesn't like because he has gotten his foot stuck in it before (something I wasn't aware of since it happened when I was in class lol Yay for delayed knowledge). I will try that tonight (he's watching a bedtime movie with DH right now) and if he sleeps on the mattress I will take his frame apart and put it in storage. He said he didn't like his bed anymore, but I thought he meant the thing as a whole but it never occured to me he meant the frame. Thank you for that!

Thank you to all you ladies. I got curtains up in the room this afternoon and we sprayed his room with some lavendar water for "Monster-B-Gone" then put his cross up next to his window. As soon as that went up he said "And Daddy in the sky will make them go away" so that felt good. He seemed much more willing to go in his room for his bedtime movie tonight (every Sunday night he and DH watch something together before bed while I do homework). Thanks again!

Quoting jhslove:

Advice for Moms