Advice for Moms

poohsybear
Hone School VS. Public School
January 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I have a almost 5 year old and  I am trying to decide wether to put her into public school or to home school her. I am not sure about public schools right now with all the recent events. I mean you have all the shooting and not to long ago there was a 2nd grader raped by another one in the school bathroom. I am very nervouse about sending her to school. Plus the schools around here suck. We nolonge have a school district we can take our kids to any surrounding school. The only problem with that is then I willhave to drive her to and from school out of town and thats a  lot of gas, miles, and time on the road daily.  So I am looking to see what other people think. Thanks for your help all!!!

Home School VS> Public School
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 68% - Home School
  2. 31% - Public School

Replies

• jamiebell
    February 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM
    No this is great thank you for all the info and your insight. I've been reading and trying to gather info on homesick vs public, but I always feel I get more out of hearing peoples real life experiences with things vs what some random "study" shows. What is this co op everyone mentions? As for socializing your child, I know homeschooled kids socialize and have friends I don think they're locked up inside 24/7, its more of having the familiar everyday cosistant relationship /friendships they develop with their classmates. As much as I love my children to be close with their eachother and have a close relationship, I do want them to have their seperate lives from eachother, have their own identities. I love the ideas of having the freedom for vacations and field trips, especially when its not packed with the rest of the world lol and going at the child's own pace. Our schools where we are are over crowded. I have one child who excells at school and is top of his class, then I have my child who is struggling nd so behind and I know he is not getting the help and attention he needs because there's just too many kids in his class. It sucks! Like everyone else I just want to do what's best for my kiddos! Thank you again for your advice nd input , I appreciate it!!

Quoting Isabelles_mommy:

You could send him to a co-op class for those if you feel he misses out being with his own age, or if he needs peers. But my husband grew up homeschooled from 1st grade on and he had 2 younger brother who were homeschooled as well and they were great peers.  But my daughter has many friends, who are homeschooled and they come over regularly during school days ( since homeschooling only takes a few hrs in the mornings) to play (so theres your recess with other kids, although I don't find that a reason to send her to a public school) And she has cousin whom we see at least once if not twice a week who are in school during the day. 

My child gets one on one training with me and my MIL. We are a great team. She is in 1st grade and has tested to be a 3rd grade reading level, and a 2nd grade math level. It's the benefit of having one on one training. Again we are done a few hrs in the morning so that frees us to go on trips, we go to libraries, museums, fairs, bowling, skating, gymnastics all when there isn't a bunch of people and she can invite anyone she wants( usually homeschooled friends, unless schools out)  You can plan a vacation whenever you want and bring her school work with you and not miss a single lesson and also use that trip as a lesson in itself (what school can actually take your child to different states and see 1st hand the history, nature, and culture.) My child isn't stuck in a building and in a chair most of the yr. 

I went to a private and a public school, my hubby was homeschooled and I've seen both sides and researched it alot before making my choice.

As for sports, well as I said on another post, there are homeschool teams and sports. My daughter is into gymnastics and is joining a competitive team this spring. Your child can still be apart of any extra curricular things, just as any public schooler. They make friends just like any public schooler. The benefit is she gets a private tutor, so to speak for every class and subject. Even if she did a co-op class, I'd still be there and making sure she learns right and isn't lost or confused.

She goes to Sunday school every week and wednesday night church. She is around alot of kids and has many friends from everywhere and every background. I'm not trying to sell you homeschooling, but this is what I see with my child and what works for mine. For us it's better then going to a public school.

Quoting jamiebell:

I've been considering homeschool but I can't help but think of the things they'd miss out on. For me I think of the little things, eating lunch everyday with friends, not only with family everyday. Recess, my son has made so many different friends and learned Awsome new games because of recess. Specials such as music art pe computer classes. I cam teach him about music and fitness and stuff on the computer but not to the extent when he has a whole class of peers to participate and extend the level of learning learn. I think of his class play he's doing now that he's so excited over. When they get rewarded for good behavior and get to have pj day and a movie. Sure I can do that at home but that's not as fun for him as it is when he's with 22 friends. He feels independent cuz he has his part of his life that is his. I feel torn cuz I see the benefits of what homeschool can do too. But there are things that he will miss out on not being in a public school and socialize in sports or church and such are not going to fulfill what areas I think my kid would miss out on. I'm not criticising either side as Im on the fence, these are just my own thoughts about where Im torn about it.

Quoting Isabelles_mommy:

You get the same opportunities in Homeschooling that you do when you go to a school. I don't understand why you think this. There are co-op classes homeschoolers can take, if there is something your unsure about teaching. Every class you can get at school can be taught in a home environment or through a co-op.

And if your thinking socialization, you get that with homeschool groups or sports interactions. Homeschoolers tend to socialize with every age from young to adult, instead of just kids their age and a teacher.  

Quoting Bmat:

I voted public school. I feel it is good for the children to have opportunities there that may not be available at home. Perhaps you could carpool with other parents. Having said this, it is very scary about the happenings in the schools. I think I'd volunteer in the school a lot.

• Shari55
    by Shari55
    February 1, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I homeschooled two of my three daughters from fifth grade on, for many reasons the biggest being that they were not challenged enough in the school they were in. What I instilled in their education was the desire to always learn and think for themselves, They established great friendships through staying in touch with their friends from school, community activities that counted toward the mandatory volunteer time required by our city for high school students. No they didn't attend homecoming, and dances or the proms they never wanted (we asked them every year if they wanted to return to PS, and they didn't). 

The only difference between my children and those that attend PS is they never got days off like the PS students.

Quoting AshieBeth_Xo:

Quoting CityofRosesMama:

I think there are some moms out there that are definitely intelligent enough to home school their children. I also think that many of them are not. It doesn't make sense to me for the government to say some kids must go sit long hours in classrooms with our missing more than 5 days but some
    Kids stay home with their moms all day without anyone coming in regurly to make sure the children are Actually learning. I'm sure there must be some kind of testing standards for home schooled children, I just don't think it's as demanding as the one placed in schools. All of our children should be getting the same kind of education.

Emotionally I honestly feel bad for home schooled children. They miss so much. Even if they play at the park or play organized sports. Those are things my children do in addition to all
    Of there school activities, not instead of. I think HS children don't get all of that interaction like other kids do and that helps get them ready for life.

• Isabelles_mommy
    February 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

A co-op is where a bunch of homeschools come together and express their need for a class, they can't get at home or their parent isn't all to comfortable teaching (like I'm not much of a science person, i'm more of a math/grammar person.) So I have a few options with that aspect.

1)I can go to a homeschool group (we are apart of several) and see if anyone knows of a certain science we need(lets say chemistry 1 and 2) Usually there are several co-op classes you can choose from, they can range from parents teaching it ( who may or may not have chemistry backgrounds) to an actual professor from a college (we had one once) all students pay a fee for whatever is needed, either for supplies or teaching fees. (usually there is someone in charge of each co-op and the classes and fees for them)

2) I can find a family member who is comfortable teaching this subject, like my hubby or his mother, Which my hubby is a great science teacher.

3) I can contact a public(or Private) school and sign my child(ren) up for this particular class, although some schools may give you issues b/c your not signing up for the rest of the classes and yr (they like to make more money in other words) So that's why most homeschoolers go with co-ops.

As for the socialization, we see the same kids all the time. we do alot of homschool projects/ meetups. As  I said before, she has many friends and she is close to some of them. As for having friends from school, I have one who i retained from my highschool, she lives across the country and I talk to her maybe once a yr. My hubby has a few from homeschool, but again he's very close to his brothers. I did have a bully in my school. Nothing was ever done about it, even when we did mention it to the management. Homeschool there is no chance of a bully, b/c if I was ever told my child was bullied, I would take to the parent immediately. If the parent didn't do anyhting about it, then we would re-frame from hanging out with them or interacting with them during outings.

And you having one at the top and one who struggles, in homeschooling you go at their pace, so you could challenge the top of the class one and slow down for the one whos struggling. In my hubbys experience, the younger tend to listen to when the older ones are taught and they learn then too, even though they have their own work to do. My BIL learned to write cursive before printing, b/c his older brother were learning it and he wanted to do what they were doing. Same with reading. But he was slower in math, so she took her time and made sure each child understood at their lv and then moved on. Or if they got it fast, then they could move on then.

Quoting jamiebell:

No this is great thank you for all the info and your insight. I've been reading and trying to gather info on homesick vs public, but I always feel I get more out of hearing peoples real life experiences with things vs what some random "study" shows. What is this co op everyone mentions? As for socializing your child, I know homeschooled kids socialize and have friends I don think they're locked up inside 24/7, its more of having the familiar everyday cosistant relationship /friendships they develop with their classmates. As much as I love my children to be close with their eachother and have a close relationship, I do want them to have their seperate lives from eachother, have their own identities. I love the ideas of having the freedom for vacations and field trips, especially when its not packed with the rest of the world lol and going at the child's own pace. Our schools where we are are over crowded. I have one child who excells at school and is top of his class, then I have my child who is struggling nd so behind and I know he is not getting the help and attention he needs because there's just too many kids in his class. It sucks! Like everyone else I just want to do what's best for my kiddos! Thank you again for your advice nd input , I appreciate it!!

Quoting Isabelles_mommy:

You could send him to a co-op class for those if you feel he misses out being with his own age, or if he needs peers. But my husband grew up homeschooled from 1st grade on and he had 2 younger brother who were homeschooled as well and they were great peers.  But my daughter has many friends, who are homeschooled and they come over regularly during school days ( since homeschooling only takes a few hrs in the mornings) to play (so theres your recess with other kids, although I don't find that a reason to send her to a public school) And she has cousin whom we see at least once if not twice a week who are in school during the day. 

My child gets one on one training with me and my MIL. We are a great team. She is in 1st grade and has tested to be a 3rd grade reading level, and a 2nd grade math level. It's the benefit of having one on one training. Again we are done a few hrs in the morning so that frees us to go on trips, we go to libraries, museums, fairs, bowling, skating, gymnastics all when there isn't a bunch of people and she can invite anyone she wants( usually homeschooled friends, unless schools out)  You can plan a vacation whenever you want and bring her school work with you and not miss a single lesson and also use that trip as a lesson in itself (what school can actually take your child to different states and see 1st hand the history, nature, and culture.) My child isn't stuck in a building and in a chair most of the yr. 

I went to a private and a public school, my hubby was homeschooled and I've seen both sides and researched it alot before making my choice.

As for sports, well as I said on another post, there are homeschool teams and sports. My daughter is into gymnastics and is joining a competitive team this spring. Your child can still be apart of any extra curricular things, just as any public schooler. They make friends just like any public schooler. The benefit is she gets a private tutor, so to speak for every class and subject. Even if she did a co-op class, I'd still be there and making sure she learns right and isn't lost or confused.

She goes to Sunday school every week and wednesday night church. She is around alot of kids and has many friends from everywhere and every background. I'm not trying to sell you homeschooling, but this is what I see with my child and what works for mine. For us it's better then going to a public school.

Quoting jamiebell:

I've been considering homeschool but I can't help but think of the things they'd miss out on. For me I think of the little things, eating lunch everyday with friends, not only with family everyday. Recess, my son has made so many different friends and learned Awsome new games because of recess. Specials such as music art pe computer classes. I cam teach him about music and fitness and stuff on the computer but not to the extent when he has a whole class of peers to participate and extend the level of learning learn. I think of his class play he's doing now that he's so excited over. When they get rewarded for good behavior and get to have pj day and a movie. Sure I can do that at home but that's not as fun for him as it is when he's with 22 friends. He feels independent cuz he has his part of his life that is his. I feel torn cuz I see the benefits of what homeschool can do too. But there are things that he will miss out on not being in a public school and socialize in sports or church and such are not going to fulfill what areas I think my kid would miss out on. I'm not criticising either side as Im on the fence, these are just my own thoughts about where Im torn about it.

Quoting Isabelles_mommy:

You get the same opportunities in Homeschooling that you do when you go to a school. I don't understand why you think this. There are co-op classes homeschoolers can take, if there is something your unsure about teaching. Every class you can get at school can be taught in a home environment or through a co-op.

And if your thinking socialization, you get that with homeschool groups or sports interactions. Homeschoolers tend to socialize with every age from young to adult, instead of just kids their age and a teacher.  

Quoting Bmat:

I voted public school. I feel it is good for the children to have opportunities there that may not be available at home. Perhaps you could carpool with other parents. Having said this, it is very scary about the happenings in the schools. I think I'd volunteer in the school a lot.

• CityofRosesMama
    February 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    Quoting AshieBeth_Xo:

Hi AshleyBeth, Yes. I do agree that my daughter needs consistent friendships. We found a Christian preschool and she attended today. She was so happy, and I feel that we needed to homeschool for a while until we found the right school for her. Now I know we found the right place for and I trust her new teacher. Public schools are really suffering right now, and the children there deserve more. I worked as a public and private school teacher, so I know a lot about this issue. I'll have to work some evenings and weekends to pay for her private school. I am researching for next year. I don't trust the public schools here, so I believe I did what I needed to do to keep her safe.

Advice for Moms