Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
Half of Babies Are on a Slower Vaccination Schedule – Should Yours Be?
January 24, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Half of Babies Are on a Slower Vaccination Schedule – Should Yours Be?

Posted by Adriana Velez on January 23, 2013 

baby doctorAre you delaying vaccinations for your baby? If so, you're part of a growing trend. Vaccination delay (not following the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommended schedule), or under-vaccination, is something parents are doing more and more lately. It seems like we want more say in our kids' vaccination schedules, and we want those schedules to slow the hell down.

A recent study took a look at the under-vaccination trend and confirmed that it's building momentum. Nearly half of the 300,000 children in the study were under-vaccinated by at least one day by the time they reached their second birthday. What's especially interesting is that the study looked at children who were under-vaccinated because the parents chose that, and children who were under-vaccinated for any reason.

So there's the major finding that under-vaccination is a growing trend, the study also looked at what kinds of visits these babies had while they were under-vaccinated.

• Under-vaccinated children do fewer outpatient visits than on-schedule kids. (This means visits to clinics, doctors' offices, and short hospital appointments.)
  • Under-vaccinated children have more inpatient visits than on-schedule kids. (This means hospital stays.)
  • Children who are under-vaccinated because of parental choice do fewer outpatient visits and have fewer emergency encounters.

In other words, under-vaccinated kids go longer between doctors' visits. But here's the worrying part -- under-immunized babies also check into the hospital more often. Other studies show that children who don't get vaccinations at all are nine times more likely to get chicken pox and 23 times more likely to get whopping cough than immunized kids.

So there you go -- some information to mull over while you decide whether you want to follow the ACIP schedule or an alternative schedule -- or none at all. Every parent who made a decision about this has their unique story to tell. My son followed the ACIP schedule (more or less) and has never needed a hospital stay. But that's just my story. We're all a special case and you can't generalize from one person's experience. All I know is, I'm glad I never had to check my baby into the hospital.

And if I had to do it all over again, I might delay the schedule for my child just a little bit more, but I'd still do all those immunizations pretty much on schedule. Except that chicken pox! Damn you, chicken pox vaccine. I had the chicken pox when I was five and I was just fine. Oops -- there I go, generalizing from my unique experience.

Have you chosen to delay vaccinations? Why or why not?

Replies

• ohmandy
    by ohmandy
    January 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM

at this point in time, i plan to delay vaccinations... ive started reading up on it and i do understand the need for the vaccinations, but the schedule is crazy as is and i look back at watching 4 needles in ds's arm at a time and cringe... wish i knew more then.

something else i read talked about how their arent studies of the ways all these vaccinations interact when given at the same time... thats scary.  shoot, i wont take a bunch of meds myself, even if im told i can, cause it scares me, but im gonna let it happen to a newborn?  crazy.  (i dont have a source for that info... cant think of where i read it)

• AtillaTheHun
    January 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM

No. There is a reason why this schedule was set up this way. My children tolerate every vaccine just fine, and I don´t see a reason to take the risk of them getting sick when there is something that can prevent this. 

• Pandapanda
    January 25, 2013 at 12:33 AM

We don't vaccinate at all. 

• Blueliner
    January 25, 2013 at 12:35 AM

My almost 5 year old and 2 year old were both delay and select vaxed and haven't had to go to the Dr or ER or anything except for well checks... with one exception... DD smashed DS's finger in her bedroom door 2 days ago and it looked so bad I took him in to make sure it wasn't fractured!

Anyway, 7 years on this planet between them and neither has ever been sick enough to go to the Dr.

• hollydaze1974
    January 25, 2013 at 12:46 AM
    Both sons get them on schedule. Why? Because an alternative schedule would mean I would forget, I don't want to forget, I want to vaxed, ergo... to be sure I do, I take the form that says when they are to be done and follow it to the letter.
  • kcangel63
    January 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM
    Mine are on a no vaccine schedule.

My 3rd was the last to get vaccinated. We stopped at 1. She's now 8 1/2.
  • VarelaClan
    January 25, 2013 at 1:08 AM
    We quit vaccinations altogether after one of our children had a reaction. I'm a SAHM and we do virtual school with the kids. They also were all breastfed, some past their 2nd birthdays. They are low risk and healthy.
  • Mommyfish831
    January 25, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I think the author should have stated sources on these fact.  Well all her fact actually.  Where did she find these studies because I'm not just willing to believe what anyone says just because they said "studies show". If you look up the flulaval packet insert it say "there have been no controlled trials adequately demonstrating a decrease in influenza disease after vaccination with flulaval". Yet the media says that the flu vaccination is 63% effective..... Hmmm if there have been no trials then where does the 63% effective come from?  

Other studies show that children who don't get vaccinations at all are nine times more likely to get chicken pox and 23 times more likely to get whopping cough than immunized kids.

• JasonsMom2007
    January 25, 2013 at 1:11 AM
    I was wondering the same thing.
    My completely non-vaxed kid is so much healthier than the one I vaccinated until 2 months

Quoting rmgriffberg:

i would like to know what they are basing the whooping cough statistic seeing as how with this last outbreak most of the kids who got it were vaccinated

• Momniscient
    January 25, 2013 at 1:12 AM
    No. We are all vaccinated fully and on time. No outpatient visits. No hospital visits.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN