Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
luvnyoustwos
Dental X-Rays on your children?
January 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM

We took our 5 year old and our JUST turned 3 year old to the dentist and he said he needed to take dental X-Rays (which are digital) because there seemed to be a lot of areas that needed treatment. I absolutely hated the idea of doing it, but after talking with him for a while we agreed to go ahead and do it. They did a full set of X-Rays on both of our children, which involved about EIGHT pictures total. It's been eating me up and worrying me ever since, and it has now been 8 months ago. My daughter (who is the 3 year old) is "needing" another complete set according to her dentist, or he won't finish her dental fixes (she needs to have a few more fillings, but we took a break because she had a bad last experience). Her last X-Rays were 8 months ago, is it REALLY necessary to re-do them before finishing treatment? I feel horrible that I ever even let them do them in the first place, although I do realize they were necessary at the time. Or were they? Since her baby teeth are going to fall out anyways....

Replies

• -PB
    by -PB
    January 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Oh wow.  Idk.  My dd is 3 and she has been to the dentist 3 times but she hasn't had and x-rays yet.  Here's a bump for ya.

• mamalusbear
    January 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    If her baby teeth get damaged, it can affect the adult teeth negatively. Could you get a second opinion if you're concerned? Seems like the dentist did them because he needed to.
  • DalesLgndLvsOn3
    January 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Just be SURE when they do the xrays that they cover the throat (thyroid area), if they don't have anything to cover it, don't get the xrays. 

• EsmeVincent
    January 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    Did he say why he needed new ones? Unless she had any damage done to her mouth before and y'all are looking for signs of healing or if there has been damage since the last set then I don't see why she would need a new set. DS had his 2 front teeth damaged and they had to do a few sets to see if they were healing or if the teeth were going to do damage to his permanent teeth behind the baby ones
  • EsmeVincent
    January 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    His are damaged(roots are broken) and if they don't fall out on their own within the year we will have hem pulled because they will mess up his permanent teeth.
  • mamaslilpunkin
    January 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM

mmm that sounds a bit odd.2 set of xrays in a year?Usually insurance will only cover 1 set of xrays per year.I would get a second opinion.

• LilDzMamma2010
    January 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    I would get a second opinion
  • sabrtooth1
    January 22, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I am a Registered Dental Hygienist.  Firat of all please realize that her "baby teeth" do not completely fall out until she is 12 to 14 years old!!!  Until they do, decay in those teeth can cause damage to the adult teeth underneath, and infection that CAN spread from the teeth thru the facial bones into the eyes, sinuses, and even the brain.  That said, most dentists do not take xrays on a child under the age of 4 or 5 UNLESS an examination reveals visable cavities.  If that is the case, then a full set of xrays ARE necessary, to show the extent of decay between all the teeth, and how deep the decay is.

Whether or not she needs another FULL set of xrays depends on several things.   Rampant decay on a 3 year old indicates poor parenting choices.  A 3 year old is NOTcapable of looking after their OWN oral hygiene, or choosing what goes into their mouthes.  So the chances are, that those previous parenting choices have continued.  The dentist also takes into consideration how proactive you have been in restoring your child to health.  If only a few of the cavities were fixed over the last 8 months, your dentist would have a valid concern that there may be more decay, or that the previous decay has worsened.

If, on the other hand, 99% of the cavities have been fixed, you have removed ALL sugary and acidic drinks, and fermentable carbohydrates like crackers, chips, snacks, white bread, dry cereal, candy, cake, and cookies from her diet, you  brush her teeth twice daily, and floss them once daily, then I would ask the dentist why he can't just take xrays of the work that is not completed.

• Purple3000
    January 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I would question if the x-rays are really needed. My dentist always wants to get x-rays for my kids (3 and 6) everytime they come in for a cleaning, that's every 6 months. So, I guess my insurance covers every 6 months. My 6 yr old already had one done a year ago and the x-rays were nothing more than "procedure" even though they always act like I am doing something bad everytime I decline. In fact, they would try and set it up and go forward with it. I would stop them and ask them what they are doing, then they say "oh, it's standard we take these x-rays." I don't think so. I remember when they only take it once every 5 years, but lately, in recent years, I've noticed that they take one every year. If I don't have a cavity or something they need to see, I don't let them get x-rays.

• EsmeVincent
    January 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    I mostly agree with you but its not always the parents fault...my nephew and niece don't eat candy and rarely get juices and their molars started to decay for no reason...they had to get their teeth capped to save them from anymore damage.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

I am a Registered Dental Hygienist.  Firat of all please realize that her "baby teeth" do not completely fall out until she is 12 to 14 years old!!!  Until they do, decay in those teeth can cause damage to the adult teeth underneath, and infection that CAN spread from the teeth thru the facial bones into the eyes, sinuses, and even the brain.  That said, most dentists do not take xrays on a child under the age of 4 or 5 UNLESS an examination reveals visable cavities.  If that is the case, then a full set of xrays ARE necessary, to show the extent of decay between all the teeth, and how deep the decay is.

Whether or not she needs another FULL set of xrays depends on several things.   Rampant decay on a 3 year old indicates poor parenting choices.  A 3 year old is NOTcapable of looking after their OWN oral hygiene, or choosing what goes into their mouthes.  So the chances are, that those previous parenting choices have continued.  The dentist also takes into consideration how proactive you have been in restoring your child to health.  If only a few of the cavities were fixed over the last 8 months, your dentist would have a valid concern that there may be more decay, or that the previous decay has worsened.

If, on the other hand, 99% of the cavities have been fixed, you have removed ALL sugary and acidic drinks, and fermentable carbohydrates like crackers, chips, snacks, white bread, dry cereal, candy, cake, and cookies from her diet, you  brush her teeth twice daily, and floss them once daily, then I would ask the dentist why he can't just take xrays of the work that is not completed.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts