Featured Posts
JasonsMom2007
any clue how I can make her more comfortable?
January 22, 2013 at 2:08 AM
I love my niece like she is one of my own. I remember having my living room full of nervous kids (my bils, nephew, and other niece) the day she was born. I remember taking them to the hospital to meet her and how cute and tiny she was.
by 6 months old my sil (her mom) got a job. I cared for my niece 10 hours/day 5 days/week. I didn't have kids of my own at the time and I just loved caring for her. she loved staying with me and would hide when her mom came to pick her up. she's been sleeping over a couple of times a month since she was about 9 months old. it crushed me when her mom quit her job when she was 3. it felt like someone ripped my heart out. but I understood and there wasn't any reason I couldn't still spend time with her.
at the age of 9 she is still very special to me. and she still frequently comes over to spend the night. in fact she is here right now because I called my sil and asked if she wanted to come. she will go home Wednesday.
anyways, despite being so close and spending such a huge chunk of her life with me she cries for her mom every night she stays here. she didn't start doing this until a few months ago. I always let her call her mom and say good night. any other ideas to make her more comfortable? I hate seeing her so upset. she has adhd so bedtime is challenging for her even at home.

Replies

• frndlyfn
    January 22, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Do you keep the same bedtime routine that she has at home? Is she being treated for the adhd with medication or behavioral therapies?  I havent really heard of a child this age being upset when they are with someone who is very close to them..  I would question what has changed in the last 6 months to cause this reaction in her.   Perhaps in the future wait until she asks to spend the night instead of you calling to ask her.

• Mommy2justone
    January 22, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Get her a dream lite!

• Mommy2justone
    January 22, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Make a fort in the living room to camp in with her!

• Mommy2justone
    January 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Have a mani/pedi night, and stay up REALLY late!

• Mommy2justone
    January 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Let her get a new pair of pajamas, or stuffed animal to sleep with

• Mommy2justone
    January 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Let her sleep where she wants

• signingmama2915
    January 23, 2013 at 12:25 AM

distract her?

• JasonsMom2007
    January 23, 2013 at 12:27 AM
    I moved her to my 2 year olds floor and that helped. thanks :)
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN