Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
JasonsMom2007
any clue how I can make her more comfortable?
January 22, 2013 at 2:08 AM
I love my niece like she is one of my own. I remember having my living room full of nervous kids (my bils, nephew, and other niece) the day she was born. I remember taking them to the hospital to meet her and how cute and tiny she was.
by 6 months old my sil (her mom) got a job. I cared for my niece 10 hours/day 5 days/week. I didn't have kids of my own at the time and I just loved caring for her. she loved staying with me and would hide when her mom came to pick her up. she's been sleeping over a couple of times a month since she was about 9 months old. it crushed me when her mom quit her job when she was 3. it felt like someone ripped my heart out. but I understood and there wasn't any reason I couldn't still spend time with her.
at the age of 9 she is still very special to me. and she still frequently comes over to spend the night. in fact she is here right now because I called my sil and asked if she wanted to come. she will go home Wednesday.
anyways, despite being so close and spending such a huge chunk of her life with me she cries for her mom every night she stays here. she didn't start doing this until a few months ago. I always let her call her mom and say good night. any other ideas to make her more comfortable? I hate seeing her so upset. she has adhd so bedtime is challenging for her even at home.

Replies

• frndlyfn
    January 22, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Do you keep the same bedtime routine that she has at home? Is she being treated for the adhd with medication or behavioral therapies?  I havent really heard of a child this age being upset when they are with someone who is very close to them..  I would question what has changed in the last 6 months to cause this reaction in her.   Perhaps in the future wait until she asks to spend the night instead of you calling to ask her.

• Mommy2justone
    January 22, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Get her a dream lite!

• Mommy2justone
    January 22, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Make a fort in the living room to camp in with her!

• Mommy2justone
    January 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Have a mani/pedi night, and stay up REALLY late!

• Mommy2justone
    January 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Let her get a new pair of pajamas, or stuffed animal to sleep with

• Mommy2justone
    January 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Let her sleep where she wants

• signingmama2915
    January 23, 2013 at 12:25 AM

distract her?

• JasonsMom2007
    January 23, 2013 at 12:27 AM
    I moved her to my 2 year olds floor and that helped. thanks :)

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts