Featured Posts
slnkl
4 year old daughter with the flu
by slnkl
January 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM

so i've been told this year's strain is the worst in a decade. my daughter hasn't ate much, nor drink much today. she's been coughing but mainly resting all day. she has the fever, and woke up with very dry chapped lips. i took her temperture earlier and it was at 100.1. she keeps complaining that her head hurts and would cry. so i wanna know, when do you take your child in to the er?? 

Replies

• AM-BRAT
    by AM-BRAT
    January 21, 2013 at 11:37 PM
    No I wouldn't take my child to the er. But what you do is up to you.

Er's don't cure the flu. They are to stabilize people and usually parents use it as peace of mind.

Sounds like your dd is already stable.

My 4yo the other night was throwing up. Dh texted me at work (in the er lol) i said okay keep her close. She spent the next day with a fever around 102 and didn't eat a bite. She was in between sleep and awake all day.

I alternated ibu and acet and made sure she had water and juice.

She finally snapped out of it the second or third day I don't remember.

100 in not a fever to me. Not eating is an emergency to me.

So would I take my child in? No. Should you? I can't give that kind of advice. I can't tell you NOT to go- that's up to you for sure. But if I have a regular ped and am that bothered I would do that.
  • lnr187
    by lnr187
    January 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM

if her fever isn't increasing, give her tylenol or motrin for the head ache. give her lots of fluids, even if she isn't drinking much, keep it by her whenever she needs it. if it lasts more than 24 hours or she's lethargic, call dr and ask what they recommend

• jamiekakes6
    January 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    I would just make sure she is getting lots of fluids Popsicles, water, juice, suck on plain ice...whatever she can do. She should have some sort of fluids available to her (in a cup not that she has to ask for) 24/7. 100 isn't a high fever. And remember fevers are actually a good thing. They help our bodies fight off the germs causing the sickness. As long as it stays on the lower end ( under 102) I wouldn't even give her mess. Just a cool cloth or such if she needs it. If you are concerned she is dehydrated monitor her pee. Increase fluids. Make a drs appt if u would like but the ER isn't going to help you here. Possibly just do more harm as her immune system is compromised with this and you'd be exposing her to more.
    I hope she's back to herself soon!
  • momsince04
    January 22, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    This, alternate between the Tylenol and Motrin. Giver a warm bath, and lots of rest and fluids. The E.R won't do anymore than what you are doing now.

Quoting lnr187:

if her fever isn't increasing, give her tylenol or motrin for the head ache. give her lots of fluids, even if she isn't drinking much, keep it by her whenever she needs it. if it lasts more than 24 hours or she's lethargic, call dr and ask what they recommend

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    January 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    Push fluids. I have a friend who is in her 4th week with it. It hangs around a long time. Gotta wait I out. That feverf is not high. Most flu is 103 or 104 which for a kid is not high. Its a virus that has to run its course.
  • LoreleiSieja
    January 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Bringing her to the ER when she has a flu could actually do more harm than good.  She is already sick and run-down.  She needs bed rest, and to be kept away from others who are sick.  Do not bring her to the ER unless her symptoms become severe.  A high-sustained fever might be one.  Kids can spike a high fever very quickly, but if it responds to tylenol, then it is not serious.  Of course, if she lost consciousness, or vomited and had diahrea for so long that you think she's getting dehydrated. But for normal flu symptoms, keep her home, keep her calm and resting.  

• momof6nokc
    January 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Nowhere near ER worthy. In fact, the ER is the LAST place I want to take my sick kids this time of year :o(

Keep her well hydrated with ice chips, popsicles, jello-o, etc.  No pop!

Lots of rest, chicken noodle soup (just the broth if she won't eat the soup), run a humidifier to help keep her nose and mouth from drying out, alternate tylenol and motrin, warm baths to help with the aches, vicks on her chest. 

I had the flu a few weeks ago and those are the things I did to make myself feel a little better. 

• la_bella_vita
    January 22, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I agree

Quoting jamiekakes6:

I would just make sure she is getting lots of fluids Popsicles, water, juice, suck on plain ice...whatever she can do. She should have some sort of fluids available to her (in a cup not that she has to ask for) 24/7. 100 isn't a high fever. And remember fevers are actually a good thing. They help our bodies fight off the germs causing the sickness. As long as it stays on the lower end ( under 102) I wouldn't even give her mess. Just a cool cloth or such if she needs it. If you are concerned she is dehydrated monitor her pee. Increase fluids. Make a drs appt if u would like but the ER isn't going to help you here. Possibly just do more harm as her immune system is compromised with this and you'd be exposing her to more.

• whoodathunk
    January 22, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Call your pediatrician, don't ask people who cannot even see your child for advise!  If you're questioning, follow your intuition.  If your pediatrician isn't available, sometimes your insurance company will often have a nurse hotline.  That has saved me a fortune in er co-pays.

• kirbymom
    January 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM

This. 

Try not to worry so much. I know its hard, but you really won't help her by taking her to the ER.  She could have this type of a temp. for a few days and not be in any danger.  I would also have some saltine crackers or bread handy to snack on with some room temp Ginger Ale.  Ginger Ale because it helps keep the acids down in her stomack and saltine crackers to absorb the other acids. You should also make sure her room isn't overly hot either. That will make her uncomfortable which will detract from the healing process.  You will get through this and she will too. 

You have my thoughts and sympathies.  :)  

Quoting jamiekakes6:

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN