Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
RAJ88
Over sensitive daughter
by RAJ88
January 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM

So we are having a little trouble with our four year old. She has always been very sensititve ever since she was a baby. Well recently its gotten much worse. We have been visiting my parents for the past month and for last week or two she constantly talks about how sad she will be when we go home or that we arent going home and we are staying here forever. Sometimes she works herself up so much she starts crying and cant stop. The other night she had a horrific meltdown crying becuase me and my DH was going out for the night. She has never done that before. Now its getting to the point that she pouts over EVERYTHING. Anytime we say no or if we cant do something she wants right away she pouts. I know its a phase but its driving me freaking nuts! I want to give her support and not blow off her feelings but I also dont want to feed into it.. Any advice?????? I dont need any negative comments just looking for some help. TIA!

Replies

• PinkParadox
    January 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM
    She's been taken out of her normal environment, therefore her sensitivity/insecurities are heightened. Normal.
  • ekh2010
    by ekh2010
    January 18, 2013 at 11:43 PM
    I hope its just the age...try and stay consistent even though you are away from home remind her when you go homr you can still talk to and see grandparents again. My almost 5yo is extremely sentimental right now everything sets her off idk what to do... Hugs mama
  • frndlyfn
    January 18, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I would tell her it is ok to miss people when we are away from them and that i am sorry you are upset we are leaving for a bit but we will be back and have lots of cuddles when we get back.  That way you are not disregarding her feelings nor are you giving in to her demands.

• pll13
    by pll13
    January 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM

It is a phase and she has to get over it on her own. Explaining things out and as to why it has to be can sometimes help them too. If she cries, alot, let her know that its ok to cry but there are other things she can be doing instead of crying, like playing with her toys or other kids. getting her to play with other kids.

Let her know you understand that she will miss her grandparents when you leave but, she can talk to them on the phone and send pictures online or skype with them. Let her know that they are ways to still see or talk to them and you will still plan visits to go back.  At that age, they don't understand when something is gone, its not gone forever. And pouting can be tough, maybe letting her know that when she pouts, you cant understand what she is saying and its easier to talk to her when she is not crying and figure things out. Its does take time and patience but it worked for me. Talking soft, because when they are screaming they cant hear you and the stop crying to try to hear what you are saying and it has worked quite well for me.

let me know what you think, Good Luck!

• alexsmomaubrys2
    January 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Quoting PinkParadox:

She's been taken out of her normal environment, therefore her sensitivity/insecurities are heightened. Normal.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts