Featured Posts
kableman
Baby Shower or no baby shower??
January 18, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Hi All, 

I am new to this group....I am a mom of a 6 year old son from a previous marriage.  I recently got remarried and we are trying to have a baby.  

My question is this:  is it ok to have a baby shower when/if we have a baby?  This will by my husband's first biological child and my ex-husband basically has all of my son's things from when he was a baby.  I have some clothes, but that's really all, so I am starting from scratch.  

I am jsut wondering if it's appropriate to have a shower?  

Thanks.

Replies

• DonnaPinitonya
    January 18, 2013 at 3:22 AM

YES! You can do just his family/friends if you feel uneasy or a virtual baby shower. I would skip classic all ladies bc my DH loved being part of welcoming the baby but you could go classic and do it a few weeks after the birth too... So many options, find out what he likes when you do get preggers and go from there.

• kableman
    January 18, 2013 at 3:28 AM

BUMP!

• Lindalou907
    January 18, 2013 at 5:17 AM

Yes, I think so. It's not like your kids are 2 years apart. And a lot of the guest list will be different anyway!

• kblpooh
    by kblpooh
    January 18, 2013 at 6:42 AM
    I was in a similar situation and I had a baby shower. I think it gives your husband's family a chance to celebrate the baby.
  • LilliesValley
    January 18, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    My mom had always told me no but all of my friends say otherwise. Especially since your child is older I think its ok. Maybe don't experience as much but your current husbands family will be excited and probably dissapointed if you didn't have one. My daughter is six too and we are trying to get pregnant again and I kept everything and I'm going to have a small shower when I get pregnant.
  • jdy9440
    by jdy9440
    January 18, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    Yes, go for it.
  • MamaJJ430
    January 18, 2013 at 7:36 AM

In my honest opinion I say go for it... your children are 6 years apart, it is your husband's first biological child, and you never know, you may have a girl. I think that if you would ask your mom, she would probably say no simply because she is old fashioned. It is like the discussion I just got in with my Great Aunt and my grandmother, they were complaining that my cousin invited guys to the shower (I did too) because it used to just be a time for the women to get together... the thing is that they don't understand that nowadays men want to be just as much a part of the whole baby experience as the women do.

• jenemiah
    January 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Why wouldn't it be ok? Sorry don't mean to answer a question with a question. Baby showers are to celebrate a new baby.  Most of the people I know have a shower for each new baby. Even the ones that have 5 kids.  I love shopping for baby stuff. There are always new things on the market.   Go have your baby shower....its not just for you and your new hubby.....but for the baby as well.   

• myloves.050709
    January 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM

If you want a baby shower then have one!  It is a new baby and a celebration.  I say go for it.

• Emilytrademark
    January 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Baby shower etiquette is so silly to me! If you are having a baby and want a baby shower, you should have one! :)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN