Advice for Moms

kableman
Baby Shower or no baby shower??
January 18, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Hi All, 

I am new to this group....I am a mom of a 6 year old son from a previous marriage.  I recently got remarried and we are trying to have a baby.  

My question is this:  is it ok to have a baby shower when/if we have a baby?  This will by my husband's first biological child and my ex-husband basically has all of my son's things from when he was a baby.  I have some clothes, but that's really all, so I am starting from scratch.  

I am jsut wondering if it's appropriate to have a shower?  

Thanks.

Replies

• nates-mommy
    January 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    I dont think it is tacky either way...I planned all details of mine bc I several food allergies... I picked the place and decorations and everything....even helped make it....And its a good thing bc THE MORNING of the shower the lady who was hosting the party ended up with her daughter in emergency surgery 4 hrs away.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting atlmom2:

Yes, that is tacky. I would not attend.

Quoting honeydewdid:

Well our families suck so we're throwing it ourselves otherwise there wouldn't be one.

Quoting JMmama:

This warrants repeating...

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

It's only tacky if you throw it yourself.  =)

I refuse to attend baby showers thrown by the parents.  I will go to a welcome the baby celebration after the baby is born. I will stop by with a gift and food after the baby is born (calling first, of course)

But i won't attend a shower you throw for yourself.

• Tea4Tas
    by Tea4Tas
    January 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Quoting nates-mommy:

I dont think it is tacky either way...I planned all details of mine bc I several food allergies... I picked the place and decorations and everything....even helped make it....And its a good thing bc THE MORNING of the shower the lady who was hosting the party ended up with her daughter in emergency surgery 4 hrs away.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting atlmom2:

Yes, that is tacky. I would not attend.

Quoting honeydewdid:

Well our families suck so we're throwing it ourselves otherwise there wouldn't be one.

Quoting JMmama:

This warrants repeating...

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

It's only tacky if you throw it yourself.  =)

I refuse to attend baby showers thrown by the parents.  I will go to a welcome the baby celebration after the baby is born. I will stop by with a gift and food after the baby is born (calling first, of course)

But i won't attend a shower you throw for yourself.

yOu still had someone ELSE hosting it.  But yeah i probably wouldn't have gone to yours if I knew you had actually thrown it.

• ScrChk23
    January 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Absolutely.  Even if it wasn't his first child.  A baby is reason enough to have a party or at least a get together.

• JTriches
    January 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM

yes, have a blast and enjoy this baby

• prdmama1154
    January 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    I would. I would also make it Co Ed
  • emeraldangel2.0
    January 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM

go ahead. i believe in live and let live. i don't care who throws the showers, the baby showers are about celebrating a new life coming, not about who throws it.

• Jennie0715
    January 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM

No.

• Apatosaurus
    January 19, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Usually someone in the family will give you a shower. I think it is alright to have a shower. People like to see your new little one in brand new things they give you. Some showers will also give a present to a brother or sister they have. I thought that was different and the children enjoy getting something too. Maybe less jealousy that way. I don't think you should give yourself a party, but a hint to the right people would be alright. I think I had a shower for all my kids. Girl first, than a boy, then a girl again. I appreciated having my churches shower, got what I needed. I don't think it is greedy. It gives someone the opportunity to show their love to your family, that they can have a part in this child life, even before birth. Happy Baby to you when God in His timing sends you a child to bring up. Like Hannah who had Samuel. 

• kableman
    January 20, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    Thank you for all the replies and comments! Now hopefully we can get preggo this month!
  • rstuart66
    January 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Definately.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts