Featured Posts
kableman
Baby Shower or no baby shower??
January 18, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Hi All, 

I am new to this group....I am a mom of a 6 year old son from a previous marriage.  I recently got remarried and we are trying to have a baby.  

My question is this:  is it ok to have a baby shower when/if we have a baby?  This will by my husband's first biological child and my ex-husband basically has all of my son's things from when he was a baby.  I have some clothes, but that's really all, so I am starting from scratch.  

I am jsut wondering if it's appropriate to have a shower?  

Thanks.

Replies

• nates-mommy
    January 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    I dont think it is tacky either way...I planned all details of mine bc I several food allergies... I picked the place and decorations and everything....even helped make it....And its a good thing bc THE MORNING of the shower the lady who was hosting the party ended up with her daughter in emergency surgery 4 hrs away.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting atlmom2:

Yes, that is tacky. I would not attend.

Quoting honeydewdid:

Well our families suck so we're throwing it ourselves otherwise there wouldn't be one.

Quoting JMmama:

This warrants repeating...

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

It's only tacky if you throw it yourself.  =)

I refuse to attend baby showers thrown by the parents.  I will go to a welcome the baby celebration after the baby is born. I will stop by with a gift and food after the baby is born (calling first, of course)

But i won't attend a shower you throw for yourself.

• Tea4Tas
    by Tea4Tas
    January 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Quoting nates-mommy:

I dont think it is tacky either way...I planned all details of mine bc I several food allergies... I picked the place and decorations and everything....even helped make it....And its a good thing bc THE MORNING of the shower the lady who was hosting the party ended up with her daughter in emergency surgery 4 hrs away.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting atlmom2:

Yes, that is tacky. I would not attend.

Quoting honeydewdid:

Well our families suck so we're throwing it ourselves otherwise there wouldn't be one.

Quoting JMmama:

This warrants repeating...

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

It's only tacky if you throw it yourself.  =)

I refuse to attend baby showers thrown by the parents.  I will go to a welcome the baby celebration after the baby is born. I will stop by with a gift and food after the baby is born (calling first, of course)

But i won't attend a shower you throw for yourself.

yOu still had someone ELSE hosting it.  But yeah i probably wouldn't have gone to yours if I knew you had actually thrown it.

• ScrChk23
    January 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Absolutely.  Even if it wasn't his first child.  A baby is reason enough to have a party or at least a get together.

• JTriches
    January 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM

yes, have a blast and enjoy this baby

• prdmama1154
    January 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    I would. I would also make it Co Ed
  • emeraldangel2.0
    January 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM

go ahead. i believe in live and let live. i don't care who throws the showers, the baby showers are about celebrating a new life coming, not about who throws it.

• Jennie0715
    January 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM

No.

• Apatosaurus
    January 19, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Usually someone in the family will give you a shower. I think it is alright to have a shower. People like to see your new little one in brand new things they give you. Some showers will also give a present to a brother or sister they have. I thought that was different and the children enjoy getting something too. Maybe less jealousy that way. I don't think you should give yourself a party, but a hint to the right people would be alright. I think I had a shower for all my kids. Girl first, than a boy, then a girl again. I appreciated having my churches shower, got what I needed. I don't think it is greedy. It gives someone the opportunity to show their love to your family, that they can have a part in this child life, even before birth. Happy Baby to you when God in His timing sends you a child to bring up. Like Hannah who had Samuel. 

• kableman
    January 20, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    Thank you for all the replies and comments! Now hopefully we can get preggo this month!
  • rstuart66
    January 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Definately.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN