Advice for Moms

kableman
Baby Shower or no baby shower??
January 18, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Hi All, 

I am new to this group....I am a mom of a 6 year old son from a previous marriage.  I recently got remarried and we are trying to have a baby.  

My question is this:  is it ok to have a baby shower when/if we have a baby?  This will by my husband's first biological child and my ex-husband basically has all of my son's things from when he was a baby.  I have some clothes, but that's really all, so I am starting from scratch.  

I am jsut wondering if it's appropriate to have a shower?  

Thanks.

Replies

• AM-BRAT
    by AM-BRAT
    January 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM

LOL for people like that you word it differently. Like a baby welcoming or something lol.

Does she have resentments that her son is having a baby with someone who is so newly separated with such a young child? Some mamas are like that...

Quoting honeydewdid:

WOW, me and my SO just set up our baby registries and a FB event and invited our friends and family. SO immediately got a call from his mom "You can't have a baby shower, you already have a baby." Well this is our first baby, we are celebrating OUR baby, second, my son who is 15 months old is not his and has no baby stuff because guess what, I was previously married and never planned to have another child, third, he was not even a part of his son's (who is 3 months) baby shower. 

Good thing he was on the phone and not me because I would have told her, well we are celebrating our baby and if you think we don't need anything because both of us already have a young child then don't bring anything. It isn't about the stuff anyway, though we really need help with some of the big ticket items, but maybe because neither of our families have met so why not bring them all together and celebrate a new life. 

• Jadegirl1819
    January 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM

It's only tacky if you throw it yourself.  =)

• MommeisQueen
    January 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Absolutely. If you two want a shower, I say have one.  

• MommeisQueen
    January 18, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I agree. If you will be throwing it yourself then get everything you absolutely need for the babies first few months yourself and then throw a "meet the baby" party or a "sip n see". This way people can meet the baby and bring him or her gifts instead or bringing the parents the gifts befor the baby arrive.

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

• JMmama
    by JMmama
    January 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    This warrants repeating...

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

• honeydewdid
    January 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM

No, unfortunately his baby wasn't conceived in a serious relationship. They never even thought to stay together. BUT you won't believe what his mom said yesterday. She actually tried to convince him that this baby wasn't his!!! She had some crazy dilusional thoughts about it. My ex husband left me in November of 2011, she tried to say it was probably my ex's. HE WAS IN KOREA lmao. I still don't think she's convinced. 

Quoting AM-BRAT:

LOL for people like that you word it differently. Like a baby welcoming or something lol.

Does she have resentments that her son is having a baby with someone who is so newly separated with such a young child? Some mamas are like that...

Quoting honeydewdid:

WOW, me and my SO just set up our baby registries and a FB event and invited our friends and family. SO immediately got a call from his mom "You can't have a baby shower, you already have a baby." Well this is our first baby, we are celebrating OUR baby, second, my son who is 15 months old is not his and has no baby stuff because guess what, I was previously married and never planned to have another child, third, he was not even a part of his son's (who is 3 months) baby shower. 

Good thing he was on the phone and not me because I would have told her, well we are celebrating our baby and if you think we don't need anything because both of us already have a young child then don't bring anything. It isn't about the stuff anyway, though we really need help with some of the big ticket items, but maybe because neither of our families have met so why not bring them all together and celebrate a new life. 

• honeydewdid
    January 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Well our families suck so we're throwing it ourselves otherwise there wouldn't be one.

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

• AM-BRAT
    by AM-BRAT
    January 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    I honestly think it's not tacky if you're not extravagant.

We throw our own kids' bday parties right? No different to me...

Quoting honeydewdid:

Well our families suck so we're throwing it ourselves otherwise there wouldn't be one.

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    January 18, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    Yes, that is tacky. I would not attend.

Quoting honeydewdid:

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    January 18, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    B'days and showers are different.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

I honestly think it's not tacky if you're not extravagant.

We throw our own kids' bday parties right? No different to me...

Quoting honeydewdid:

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts