Advice for Moms

ktinaza
Why would pediatrics refer my baby
by ktinaza
January 11, 2013 at 7:37 PM
To a health and human services nurse? I'm so confused ...my son just turned one and he just changed to a large daycare and is getting sick a lot more than when he went to an at home daycare. He was tested and very allergic to dairy and peanuts and has an epi pen ...well 4. He also had an ear infection that wouldnt go away for 2 months. He also has tummy trouble and was getting constipated. Anyway I just got a call from a nurse from health and human services , a state nurse, and she said to tell her about my son. Once I did she said that sounds like that's a lot and she wants to help me come up with a plan to figure out these issues. She said to keep a log of when he has stomach pain and she wants to meet next Friday and she can come over or I can go there. I mean she's really nice but what's this really about? I asked if I was doing something wrong or if I'm in trouble or taking him to the Dr to much and she said no and pediatrics should have told me she'd be calling me and that they referee me. I'm a single mom and don't have a husband to vent to so please help me figure out what's going on??? I also have a 4 yr old and no one from there has ever called.

Update pg 12....

Replies

• MissTacoBell
    January 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    Idk that sounds strange to me. Bump though.
  • CLEKate
    by CLEKate
    January 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM

It sounds to me like a good thing.  Another person to help keep an eye on the various issues your kid is having.  Let's face it, he's a sick kid and combine that with the allergies, you are going to need help.  It sounds to me like the county/city/state is stepping up and providing the help you may need.

• CLEKate
    by CLEKate
    January 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Question for you: Are you and or your child under government/state health care?  I can see that they would step up quicker if this is the casee. 

• A.J.s_mommy
    January 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM
    I've never heard of anyone having that done. They are probably just making sure everything is ok with him.
  • Jynnifer292
    January 11, 2013 at 7:43 PM

It does sound odd but perhaps she will be able to help figure out what is wrong. Perhaps he has other allergies too? Honestly, if she said that you could come to her, it sounds like she isn't investigating you. Otherwise, she would want to come to the house. Good luck.

• frndlyfn
    January 11, 2013 at 7:43 PM

What state are you in?  A one on one nurse can be a good thing since they can focus on your child and really help you figure out what is going on.    I had a home nurse during pregnancy and through dd's first year of life.  She was able to spot a nearly fatal infection in me when the doctors did not the day before.

• aurora.dove
    January 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM

It sounds to me like they are concerned about him being sick so much and want a long term care plan as opposed to just repeated doctors visits every time something goes wrong. I would make sure when you meet her that it is at a public facility just to make sure in case you are concerned. If you were in trouble they would have called Child Protective Services, not a state nurse.

• navewife
    January 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    I would call the ped and ask them if they refered her
  • ktinaza
    by ktinaza
    January 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    Colorado

Quoting frndlyfn:

What state are you in?  A one on one nurse can be a good thing since they can focus on your child and really help you figure out what is going on.    I had a home nurse during pregnancy and through dd's first year of life.  She was able to spot a nearly fatal infection in me when the doctors did not the day before.

• hollydaze1974
    January 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    Idk, but I wouldn't panic. This is a nurse, not a social worker. Are your children on state insurance or Medicaid? Maybe pedi saw this may be an expense that the state could help with( meaning they would lose money treating him )

It really sounds like she's out to help your son, but I understand the freak out when anyone from dept of human services contacts you.
    Keep in mind , if there was abuse or neglect suspected, they just show up, there are no such thing as courtesy calls.
    I would do what she asked , and not obsess over it until there is a clear reason to, okay?

Advice for Moms