Advice for Moms

babies46
Newborn Sleeping Tips
January 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Hi there !  I am a mom of twins that were born December 7 at 35 weeks, they were preemies.   Both babies were in NICU one for 2 weeks and the other for 3 weeks, everyone is doing well and home now.   I had a C-section and currently we are all sleeping downstairs babies are in a pack and play but usually like to sleep when I hold them.

I want to eventually transition them upstairs I have a pack and play in my room and then eventually to their room were they each have there own crib.  At what age is best to make these transactions ? - also how long should you let your newborn fuss to calm themself, my niece said her dr said only 3 minutes when they are so little.   I have alot of nieces and nephews that I have taken care of as babies but its so different when they are your own :)

Replies

• mom2the.rescue
    January 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I've found the key is to not put them down until you're calm and ready to rest yourself.  They can feel your stress and won't relax if you put them down...so unless you're losing it & you need a break, cuddle them until their bed looks really comfy to you ;)  I'd keep them with me in the room for a few months...you'll probably just feel it when you guys are ready.  Don't rush anything.  I always let babies fuss for a few minutes...but a little one crying is not the same as fussing. 

• jenaree
    by jenaree
    January 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I slept with my daughter beside my bed in the Rock and Play Sleeper (a life saver for us by the way!) until she was 6 weeks old and then put her in her crib. I nursed on demand until she started sleeping longer (like once she slept 5-6 hours on her own a couple times I wouldn't nurse her if she woke up sooner than that, I would just rock her back to sleep). Slowly she started sleeping longer and longer and she has always been an amazing sleeper. I would usually only let her fuss for a couple minutes before I would go get her when she was an infant.

• amonkeymom
    January 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Congrats!  I'm so glad everyone is home & healthy. 

Quoting babies46:

Hi there !  I am a mom of twins that were born December 7 at 35 weeks, they were preemies.   Both babies were in NICU one for 2 weeks and the other for 3 weeks, everyone is doing well and home now.   I had a C-section and currently we are all sleeping downstairs babies are in a pack and play but usually like to sleep when I hold them.

I want to eventually transition them upstairs I have a pack and play in my room and then eventually to their room were they each have there own crib.  At what age is best to make these transactions ? - also how long should you let your newborn fuss to calm themself, my niece said her dr said only 3 minutes when they are so little.   I have alot of nieces and nephews that I have taken care of as babies but its so different when they are your own :)

• Aishamusty
    January 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Congrats, just do what works for you because every child has his/her own special needs 

• SewingMamaLele
    January 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Honestly, every baby is different and will be ready for things at different ages... you just do whatever works for survival!    For fussing... some babies will learn to calm themself easiler, others just aren't capable of it.   You will learn your babies and what they are or aren't capable of.  

• CLEKate
    by CLEKate
    January 11, 2013 at 7:46 PM

At that age, I never let my boys (14 months apart) cry for more than a minute or so because I learned quickly that they could not handle it.  The only time it was longer was when I was in the middle of something I just couldn't stop.  I resigned myself to the fact that they were happier sleeping on me for naps--which honestly was a good thing after my c-sections because it gave me another reason to slow down.

Each mom is different on how and when to transition. You do what is right for your situation.  If you find it's easier having them in the room with you, go with it.  When it is no longer easier, move them.

Both of my boys were in my bedroom for 1-2 nights after birth.  Then they went into their cribs.  I could not rest with them in the room. 

With twins, I have heard it's best to let them sleep together until they get to the age where they are moving around in the crib---that's when they become a hazard to their sibling.  They were in tight quarters for 9 months, so it makes sense they still need that bond after they are out.

• EmmaGlenn20
    January 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    At first glance I read the title as "Newborn stealing tips".
    I need to go to bed.
  • Mom2Just1
    January 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I respond promptly to my baby's cries.  We are still co sleeping and probably will for awhile.  I would wait until the are on a schedule.

• rrs256
    by rrs256
    January 12, 2013 at 4:56 AM

Congratulations on your babies!! I currently have a 5 month old son that I just transitioned into his crib maybe two weeks ago? When he was first brought home, he didn't like his crib way too big for him. So what I did was I put him in the bassinet until he started rolling over completely and pushing himself up with his legs (backwards crawl I guess). He still goes in the pack and play when he is with me in the living room for a nap when he's in the bedroom at night, it's his crib. He loves his crib now. As far as sleeping tips I would definitely swaddle the babies they have the zip up kind that they can't just kick out off. Also the hospital recommended the HALO kind ( I think it's called)  when I was there. When my son cries I rush to him. I don't wait in minutes or whatnot. As long as he was fed and changed every two hours he went to sleep on his own. I don't know if it helps much. Sorry.  

• raye-chan
    January 12, 2013 at 5:48 AM

Congrats to having twins! 

I did not transition my son to his crib until he was about 6 months old, give or take. He slept (and still sleeps) just a couple feet away from us in the same room since we don't have the second room ready for him to go in on his own. When he was first born, he loved sleeping in my arms but would instantly cry the second I'd place him in his bassinet. Because it was just him, I'd co sleep for a little bit until he was calm and relaxed enough to be shifted over to his own sleeping area. 

Every baby is different so it could be easy to transition them or it may not be. The best thing is to see what kind of "pattern" they seem to take the best to (IE: Dante would want a bottle, a song sung to him and then rocked a bit to sleep then snuggled up on mommy's chest for a few minutes before relaxing enough to go in his bassinet). When the bassinet wouldn't do, we got a Rock and play Sleeper from Fisher Price and I'll say, that thing was a lifesaver! 

As for letting them fuss, depends on what you mean. Sometimes I'd have to let Dante fuss it out for a bit while I was going to the bathroom or doing something else and couldn't immediately get to him. Otherwise, I'd be right there trying to calm him and let him know I was there for him. You could always try a white noise machine; a friend of mine swears by these. I just used really soft playing music (instrumental/jazz) and it helped relax my little man. 

Also, you could try swaddling both. That worked for awhile with my son until he decided he wanted to be a little wiggle worm! You can try the HALO swaddling bags or just swaddle them on your own, just depends on what you and the babies seem to prefer. 

Also, don't rush to put them on a schedule right away. Just do things at your own pace and go with the flow. You know them better than anyone else who tells you otherwise. It took me 9 months before I finally got Dante on a somewhat normal schedule but even still, sometimes he doesn't always agree with it lol 

I hope that something I might have rambled on about has helped! Feel free to comment and/or message if you would like any more potentially helpful advice and I'll try to share what I can! Blessed be to you and your lovely little family!! <3

Advice for Moms