Advice for Moms

garrettleesmom
15 month old not sleeping through the night
January 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Hi my son is almost 15 months old(he was premature so adjusted 13 months) and still does not sleep through the night. He wakes up usually twice and drinks 4-6 oz of formula each time. It is becoming a problem lately because i work in the evenings and lately because of being shorthanded and sick calls i have been working until midnight or later. My boyfriend works construction and has to get up very early and is not happy about getting up to feed him before i get home. He knows it is part of being a dad but it makes him way too tired the next day. Any suggestions on how to get my son to sleep through the night

Replies

• Groove
    by Groove
    January 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    if he's still waking up bc he's hungry, unfortunately there isn't anything you can do.
  • frndlyfn
    January 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Perhaps try to give him some good snack and a bottle before bed.  At this age he can have table foods so perhaps a toddler size bowl of oatmeal or something to help him sleep.

• garrettleesmom
    January 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    He does have a bottle before bed, the oatmeal is a good idea. He eats all different kinds of table foods. He just has bottles to go to sleep and during the night.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Perhaps try to give him some good snack and a bottle before bed.  At this age he can have table foods so perhaps a toddler size bowl of oatmeal or something to help him sleep.

• frndlyfn
    January 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM

my dd didsnt sleep 8 hrs through the night until age 3.  We didnt have to worry about getting up for work though.  I am thinking giving a more solid food with the bottle will help keep him sleeping since toddlers will wake up when their sugar levels are dropping. It is usually a survival instinct.

Quoting garrettleesmom:

He does have a bottle before bed, the oatmeal is a good idea. He eats all different kinds of table foods. He just has bottles to go to sleep and during the night.

Quoting frndlyfn:

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    January 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    My oldest dd was having 8 oz of formula at once at 2 months old and sleeping 9 hours straight. She slept 6 hours first night home. Still on formula at 13 months?? 4 oz is more for a newborn. My youngest worked up to 6 oz at a feeding around 4 months. She had reflux. She didn't sleep through the night till 5 months and I thought it was terrible because I was spoiled with my first.
  • Mom2Just1
    January 10, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Some kids just do not sleep through the night.  It is a myth.  (:

• BraeBaysMom
    January 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    Good luck! My oldest is 3 in a half n still wakes during the night. Its parenthood. Not tryin to sound rude its just the truth but if ur bf cant handle being tired n going to work prolly wasnt a good idea having a baby.
  • atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    January 10, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    They should eating most table foods you eat at that age.
  • stepconfused182
    January 10, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Is there a reason you're still giving him formula at 15 months? He should be weaned off the bottle at this point as well. Maybe work on weaning from the bottle first and then working on the sleeping through the night. A lot of kids don't sleep through the night for years! Mine started sleeping through the night when I night weaned her from the breast around 13 months. This works for some, doesn't for some. Have you let him cry for 2 or 3 mins before you go get him at night? Sometimes my dd will cry for a minute or 2 at night and if I don't go to her, she soothes herself back to sleep. Good luck, I know how hard lack of sleep is!

• juniebug11
    January 10, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    My DD Is 19 months and never sleeps through out the night . She wakes up and wants to be held, I just hold her untill she falls asleep.

I just can't do CIO , I feel to bad . I don't mind waking up with her in the middle of the night, my husband usually does. It's part of being a mom , and I will do it till she's grown.

She's still my baby , even if she's almost 2, lol.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts