Featured Posts
mommyrebecca
2yr old children know more than him
January 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM
My son turned 4 in September and he is a little slow. He's been switched homes so much cause I made one wrong choice. I wish I hadnt but all i can do now is work hard with him.
He absolutely refuses to learn. 4 and 5 font exist and he has no idea of abcs. We spend about 2hrs a day on flash cards and its like he doesn't care to learn. Rather its fun or i use it as a "you do this you can watch cartoons" he refuses.
I got him a talking teaching tablet and he never uses it.

Needing advice on helping him learn. I mean my friends 2yo knows all 26 abcs and knows how to counts to 15.

Replies

• lucky2Beeme
    January 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM

make it run. Play games where he points out the letters to you. The letters can be on cereal boxes, magazines in books even on theose letter cheezits.

Teach him to count with inexpensive objects. you could even use M&Ms.Put 10 in a tiny bowl . Count them out with him. then have him count them back into the bowl.Ask him to take 2 out. Then 1 or random numbers. Tell him if he plays the game mommy will let him eat them when they are done.

• peanutsmommy1
    January 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM

4 year olds don't learn by flash cards, they learn through experience

• mamakin616
    January 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I think you are pushing him too hard because you are worried about him being behind.All kids learn at different paces,there are no set ages when kids know everything by,there are milestones to compare too and set goals for,but remember every child is different and they learn things in different ways.Flash cards are not normally used until kids are in school ,if you let him watch learning cartoons like Dora and Sesame Street he will pick thinfs up very fast .I have7 kids and all of them are very smart ,one of my older kids has ADHD and learns in a whole different way than the rest of her brothers and sisters. She is 20 now and is doing well but had many struggles as a small child,we had to allow her to find her way and feel comfortable.Your son will find his place also ,just always be there with love and encouragement.

• sabrtooth1
    January 8, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Your "poor choices" may have hurt him physically, as well as developmentally.  Start by taking him to a pediatric neurologist, and get a full workup so you know if there is something physically or emotionally wrong.  If not, then call your public school system, and request a learning evaluation.  The PUBLIC schools are required by the government to give you literacy assistance if your child is behind.  If the only problem is that you have not been teaching him properly, they may be able to catch him up quickly.  If something MORE is going on, you need to start treating it NOW. 

• frndlyfn
    January 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Has he ever been evaluated by dept of education?   Leapfrog brand has tons of dvds and flashcards out for learning.   For a 4 yr old flash cards are boring as all get out.  If you have a computer or your phone allows sites to load, go to starfall.com for fun phonics learning and abc work.

• JasonsMom2007
    January 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM

You can try using letteroftheweek.com to try to teach him.  Flash cards are so boring!  Point out letters in the world around you.  Talk about things.  Play with him.  Have fun!  When I taught preschool 4 year olds had a 15 minute circle time and the rest of the day was all play.  Even circle was singing songs, playing games as a group, etc.  Preschoolers need toplay because that's how they learn.  Stop pushing and pressuring.

• chcon
    by chcon
    January 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    Learning through games and experiences are best when kids are that young. Flash cards alone would not be fun, unless you made some sort of game out of it.
  • Kellyjude1
    January 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Every child will learn at his or her own pace.  I would suggest to go on the internet to nick jr. or seame street there are lots of fun and educational places to go to on the internet.  Just pull one up and sit along with your son and allow him to use the computer.  Show him the different learning activites children love the chance to use the computer and with your help I am sure he will love to see the fun pages and be learning at the same time.  My son absolutely loved getting on the computer.  If you need any help feel free to message me. I hope this helps.

• RutterMama
    January 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM

#1 - don't compare.
    #2 - Have you had him evaluated? He might have a slight delay (NOT a big deal) but most states if he does have a delay he will qualify for interventions.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN