Featured Posts
trublonde130
Daycare Question
January 7, 2013 at 4:47 PM

So with some semi-recent changes I've had to put my oldest into daycare. He attends preschool in the AM then goes to daycare afterwards. Today was his first day, when I went to go pick him up he was so interested in all the toys that he didn't notice I walked into the door despite all the other children saying "your mommys here". When he finally noticed me he ran out the exit door which also leads out to the fenced in playground, the door was unlatched/locked (kind of like a free range door that swings, it has a push bar like you would see at a school, if that makes any sense) and not a single one of the teachers acknowledged it. If it were not for me running out to get him, I don't think they would have noticed. Since it was his first day I don't want to call the director and complain and be 'one of those parents' but I would also like to address the situation. My concerns are: why is it unlocked/latched, why was it not acknowledged, is the door always that way, anyone could walk off the streets or climb over the fence and into the daycare, the door is heavy and could come back to slam the childrens fingers & WHY?!?!?

Would you wait till it happens again just incase it was a freak incident and address the situation then or should I call the director now?

Replies

• frndlyfn
    January 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I would talk to the teachers first and find out their policies for the entrance/exit points of building for safety.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    January 7, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    I would have asked then, not later.
  • LucyHarper
    January 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM

It might have been cracked to let some fresh air in or it just didn't latch behind the last person to come in and they didn't notice, I would have just asked the teacher.

• Karen_S
    by Karen_S
    January 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I'd alk to the teacher in a really friendly, non-confrontational way.  Just say that you noticed it yesterday, and were wondering if it is a regular thing, and if they worry a kid might go out without being seen.  Maybe they have an explanation that sounds reasonable. If not, then you can ask harder questions, express your concern, ask to talk to the director, etc. depending on how serious it is. 

• peanutsmommy1
    January 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    Here in MI children are required to be signed in and out by a parent daily
  • trublonde130
    January 7, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Thats how it is here.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Here in MI children are required to be signed in and out by a parent daily

• letstalk747
    January 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM

call now

• alexis_06
    January 9, 2013 at 3:15 AM

i wouldve asked at the time.. but thats me...however, i would just ask tomorrow what the "rules" are about that.  just explain what happened and express your concern...not in a rude way, just out of curiousity..(lol, not saying you would be rude...lol)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts