Featured Posts
mamisjourney
Wetting the bed
January 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM

My SS is 5 years old and his is wetting the bed!!! Honestly, I'm not sure why he is still doing it but its awful. I have to wash his sheets every other day and his room always smells like urine. I am beyond frustrating. I have a 3 year old DD as well and she doesn't pee her bed. I'm not sure what is wrong. I have tried not giving him drinks before bed and making him go to the bathroom before bed. I have grounded him and now the other kids make  fun of him. He doesn't seem to care at all. I don't want to put him in diapers because that is just plain embarrassing for a 5 year old who has been potty trained for years now. I just don't understand and I'm lost. Please help. Does anyone else deal with this? Is there something wrong with him? Is punishment the right thing to do?

Replies

• DutchBaby12
    January 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Don't let him drink a an hour before bed. Make sure he pees before he goes to sleep. Put a mat under him for when he has an accident so it wont get on the bed. (You can use the ones for old people.) Everytime he goes without an accident give him a reward. It will train his subconscious brain.

• janessa27
    January 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Bump- my son just turned 4 and has been day potty trained for a year. We limit his water after a certain time and wake him in the middle of the night to pee......he still has accidents about 2-3 times a week:(

• xoxRachelxox
    January 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM

You're grounding him for peeing the bed? Really? Do you think he's doing it because he likes it or wants to?

I wet the bed until I was around 9 or 10. I felt horrible. I just couldn't wake myself. I also had emotional shit going on in my life.

Maybe he is scared about something? Maybe he's sick?

I get that it's frusterating but now you're going to make him feel even more ashamed for it happening instead of helping him to get through it.

• ashuiren
    January 11, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I've heard that sometimes after a growth spurt it can take time for their bladder to catch up with the rest of them. I'm not sure that's exactly what's going on, but I know of many fully potty trained kids who have a bedwetting phase around 5 or 6. Please don't punish him for something he can't control. I'm sure he would stop if he could.

• confused632
    January 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM

How long have you had custody?  Changes in routine?  Or could he actually feel "safe" now and is sleeping heavier?  Food allergies or sensitivities?  Is there something new he is learning and not quite understanding and stressing over?

My son just turned 6 and he only wets the bed when he is getting sick.  I don't have any other advise but I hope everything works out for you two.

• Aishamusty
    January 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM

This issues raised you need to look into because it might just be psychological due to any of this changes best of luck , be patient also 

Quoting confused632:

How long have you had custody?  Changes in routine?  Or could he actually feel "safe" now and is sleeping heavier?  Food allergies or sensitivities?  Is there something new he is learning and not quite understanding and stressing over?

My son just turned 6 and he only wets the bed when he is getting sick.  I don't have any other advise but I hope everything works out for you two.

• mskitty6
    January 11, 2013 at 3:57 PM

My youngest son is 8 and we had to put him in "Good Nights" when he started school because he would play so hard at school he would sleep hard at night and wouldn't wake up. We are home schooling our kids now and he has gotten better. It just takes time. 

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN