Featured Posts
mommyinthe303
braces
January 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Is 9 to Young for braces.

Replies

• lucky2Beeme
    January 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I wouldn't do them then. I have seen so many young children get 2 or 3 sets of braces before graduating HS. At $5,000 there is no way I would want to buy more than 1 set.

• mommyinthe303
    January 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    They want to put them on my 9 year old daughter

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I wouldn't do them then. I have seen so many young children get 2 or 3 sets of braces before graduating HS. At $5,000 there is no way I would want to buy more than 1 set.

• lucky2Beeme
    January 5, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Quoting mommyinthe303:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

they wanted to put them on my son when he was around that age. I said no we waited until he lostalmost  all his baby teeth. He had to have his wisdom and 4 other pulled before we could get the braces on.He got and had his during HS.

• mommyinthe303
    January 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    See that's what i thought. My oldest didn't get then done till she was 13.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Quoting mommyinthe303:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

they wanted to put them on my son when he was around that age. I said no we waited until he lostalmost  all his baby teeth. He had to have his wisdom and 4 other pulled before we could get the braces on.He got and had his during HS.

• sabrtooth1
    January 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM
    I'm a dental hygienist. Braces on a 9 year old are usually needed because of functional impairment. The lower jaw is growing faster than the upper. Important teeth are not erupting and may fuse to the bone if not pulled down. There's severe crowding, or facial distortion. What reason did your dentist give?
  • mommyinthe303
    January 5, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    Her teeth are crowded

Quoting sabrtooth1:

I'm a dental hygienist. Braces on a 9 year old are usually needed because of functional impairment. The lower jaw is growing faster than the upper. Important teeth are not erupting and may fuse to the bone if not pulled down. There's severe crowding, or facial distortion. What reason did your dentist give?

• sweetmissy_05
    January 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM

My son is 9 and needs braces and we are going to wait another year or 2 for him to get them.  He just got his adult molars in so we are going to wait and see. 

• sabrtooth1
    January 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

They call braces at this point "early intervention".  Fewer orthodontists than in the past are doing it, UNLESS they think her teeth are crowded to the point that her face will not develop naturally.  Go to the ORTHODONTIST for a consultation, and ask SPECIFICALLY what the braces at this time will do.  If she's so crowed that her canines (which are the 'cornerstones' of the face) are not erupting properly, or if they are going to widen a too narrow palate, these are legitimate reasons.

• mommyinthe303
    January 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    Will do. I'm just afraid she's not responsible enough to take care of them. Plus the retainer. Would a year really hurt.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

They call braces at this point "early intervention".  Fewer orthodontists than in the past are doing it, UNLESS they think her teeth are crowded to the point that her face will not develop naturally.  Go to the ORTHODONTIST for a consultation, and ask SPECIFICALLY what the braces at this time will do.  If she's so crowed that her canines (which are the 'cornerstones' of the face) are not erupting properly, or if they are going to widen a too narrow palate, these are legitimate reasons.

• sabrtooth1
    January 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Quoting mommyinthe303:

Will do. I'm just afraid she's not responsible enough to take care of them. Plus the retainer. Would a year really hurt.

No retainer at this point.  A retainer is only placed AFTER intervention is complete, in order to give the bone time to harden sufficiently around the moved teeth.  And many orthos these days cement the retainer in, so no worries about not using it, or losing it.  As for not taking care--my kids did NOT have braces, and I still had to frequently brush them myself, until they were 11 or 12.  Even after that, I still had to check that they were doing a decent job.  At least half of the kids I see, need parental help.  They ALSO often need parental help with OTHER hygiene matters.  YOU get used to it, but WE  smell stinky kids.

Edited to add: You can always get a second opinion from another PROFESSIONAL.  But don't make your decision based on money, or convience.  Make it based on what is best for your child.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN