Advice for Moms

Mandy121907
Scarring my 5 y.o DD for life? UPDATE!!!! 1/11/13
January 5, 2013 at 9:16 AM

My 5 y. o has a very....colorful...style.  She will match orange and black striped shirt with purple and yellow and white polk-a-dots skirt and tights.  I think it's fine, she's 5, and as long as it's weather appropriate i am not going to fight that battle with her.  My mother, however, has accused me of being a bad mother and of scarring my child for life by letting her wear mis-matched clothes.  What do all of you think?

OMG!!!!  My mother is being absolutely ridiculus!  I was told today that if I let her wear "those kind of outfits"  that she will be viewed as mentally unstable, no kids will want to play with her, the teachers will look down on her and my family (meaning her and my father and my brother and his kids) will be humiliated.  Seriously?  WTF!  I kinda lost my temper with her. Because she couldn't say it just once, she had to continue to harp on it.  Ugh.  I can not believe I am actually moving to with in 10 miles of her.  Limits are going to have to be set and if she can't abide by them she is NOT going to like it.  There are some other issues between us but we are making the move to save money and for our dd well being.  I just hope my mental health can handle being around her.more often.   

Replies

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    January 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    ROFL. Who cares what she wears!! Your mom is the crazy one. OCD maybe.
  • OliviaW.
    January 5, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    Lmao! If it's weather appropriate what does it matter? My sil used to do the same thing that your dd does and she's fine. Heck I used to do the same thing.
  • suetoo
    by suetoo
    January 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Tell your mother to shut her face. Really! Admire your daughters style wholeheartedly! Tell her, as I tell my dgd, "you go girl!" Colors are wonderful, no matter how they are mixed! Look at what a great job God did with the rainbow. My dgd is 4, and we are drawing rainbows and learning Roy G. Biv, (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet)   :-). She got an art desk, paints and markers for Christmas.

• mynewlife2012
    January 5, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    My 4 year old is the same way today she is wearing blue stretchy pants a purple tutu a white frilly shirt with sparkles two different socks and purple boots. She tells me " mom the style is mismatch" she even pointed out the store little miss mismatch in the mall and see I told mismatch is In style. I figure when she goes to school and see other little girls not mismatch she will change a little bit. But who cares. Tell your mom that it is her style PUNKY BREWSTER had her own show
  • lucky2Beeme
    January 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I think what she chooses is fine for inside the house.

• rstuart66
    January 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I have the same problem with my 4 year old daughter.  My MIL goes insane everytime she doesn't match.  I wouldn't worry too much, it's how they show independence.  

• robyann
    by robyann
    January 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I do see your mom's point, BUT, that is outdated now. I also cringe when I see some of the clothes my grandkids are wearing, lol.  Now it seems our kids let their kids chose their own clothes and their own styles. If they were the only ones doing it, they would get teased at school, but they aren't the only ones, all the kids are doing this now. I do understand how it is allowing them to express themselves and make their own choices about what they wear. I have gotten used to it now, lol.

All of the style rules of us grandparents day, are gone.....we have to go with the times. :)

• MeghMirab
    January 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I think you sound like a really fun mom! She's creating her own style to go with her amazing personality. Let it shine. (: Tell your mom that calling you a bad mother because you let your child be a child is NOT OK. ): Let her know how much that statement hurt you. I hope you didn't let it get to you too bad though. One of my favorite quotes: "People know what good a Mommy you have by the size of your smile." (:

• Mom2Just1
    January 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM

My son wears what he wants. He is 6 years old and it is not worth a battle over clothes. I always wanted to pick my own clothes as a kid, but my parents never would let me.  :(

• wifeynmommie80
    January 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Seriously wow, thats too funny. I say as long as its age appropriate and weather appropriate, she should be able to express herself. You are being a good mother by allowing her to do that.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts