Featured Posts
boat4fun
Ear infections and tubes
January 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Does anyone know how many ear infections a baby needs before they consider tubes?

We have been fighting ear infections with our little girl. I think we are on #7.  We get meds - go through them...then when meds are done BAM - we get another infections. It's been a revolving door. 

Was wondering if other people have had experience with this.  We have an appointment on Jan. 14 - with the ENT. Hoping he is going to say it is time for tubes. Our poor little peanut can not keep going through this.

Replies

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    January 5, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    My dd had them and fluid about solid for 4 months between 6 and 10 month. She got tubes then and started talking right away too. You are way overdue for tubes. I worked at the ENT office.
  • Rhiannon1980
    January 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    How old is your little one? I know it depends on age. With my ds he was only 7 weeks old with his first set of tubes but by then he had 4 ear infections one that put him in the hospital.
  • young-mommy10
    January 5, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    Yeah I'd say your overdue for the referral as well, my ds was on number 4 in as many months when we started talking about it, an as soon as he got the 5 one we got the referral same day, saw the ENT, and tubes were placed shortly after. He got his tubes in August 2012, as has had no ear infections since
  • suetoo
    by suetoo
    January 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Hi!

i vote to take her to a pediatric ENT for a second opinion. My dd had them chronically, too. In fact, they found she had a hearing loss at school, and when we discussed tubes?, the ENT said she had an infection then I wasn't even aware of. He put her on a daily dose of antibiotic and said she would soon grow out of them. And that the hearing loss would resolve itself. He was right, the following winter was ear infection, and antibiotic free. My daughter was 8 yrs old then, and I think I remember counting infection #12. 

• peanutsmommy1
    January 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    I think d had 9 or so before we finally got a referral because our peds were idiots and we didnt know any better
  • Sendmeaway2012
    January 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Unfortunately, they need to have at least back to back episodes or 6 in six months. Kids do grow out of them, if they are treated quickly there is usually no hearing loss. I know I hated the idea too, but they can fall out very quickly or clog right up. Sometimes the risk of anesthesia is not worth it.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    January 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    They don't clog up often. They are supposed to fall out in 6 to 12 months. The anesthesia is for minutes, not long at all. 5 minutes usually. My dd's were treated quickly but the fluid never went away and got reinfected over and over. It was like glue and never going anywhere without tubes and being sucked out before the tubes were inserted.

Quoting Sendmeaway2012:

Unfortunately, they need to have at least back to back episodes or 6 in six months. Kids do grow out of them, if they are treated quickly there is usually no hearing loss. I know I hated the idea too, but they can fall out very quickly or clog right up. Sometimes the risk of anesthesia is not worth it.

• amommyslife03
    January 5, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    My lil one go tubes for fluid that wouldnt drain she wasnt talking bearly at all soon the put the tubes in she was talking and hasnt stoped. since. she got them in over a yr almost yr n half n there still there

for op ask the ent about tubes and your concern for the infections. they should do something i thought after 4 they talked about doing them i might be wrong. if you dont like there answer find another doc till somes helps gl

Quoting atlmom2:

My dd had them and fluid about solid for 4 months between 6 and 10 month. She got tubes then and started talking right away too. You are way overdue for tubes. I worked at the ENT office.
  • New.OrleansLady
    January 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM

It's so many within a year. As own as the ent saw DS he said tubes. They are a lifesaver!! 

• Bella14308
    January 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    My dd has had her tubes for 6 months now. she had recurrant ear infections and fluid built up so much she had lost her hearing completely in her left ear and half in her right ear. she was 15 months when she got her tubes. her infections started after her first birthday. her hearing test 5 months ago was low normal so she did regain alot of her hearing but she still has some hearing loss. overall im glad i got the tubes for her. yes she is behind in verbal development (the only thing she is behind in, every other area she is considered advanced), but i work with her daily and we learning sign language.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN