Featured Posts
Terra22494
Need Advice
January 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I'm an 18 year old single mother, and the father has nothing to do with me or the baby for certain reasons is there anything i can do to make sure that if anything happens to me like lets say i passed away, that my baby wont go to his biological father  but to my parents? If anyone has any imputs or advice for me please help...

Replies

• StacyO722
    January 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Talk to a lawyer. Have a will made out.

• stephwordelman1
    January 4, 2013 at 10:29 PM

if you want to do that, you need to get a will, you can get one from a hospital and i forget where else. 

Quoting Terra22494:

I'm an 18 year old single mother, and the father has nothing to do with me or the baby for certain reasons is there anything i can do to make sure that if anything happens to me like lets say i passed away, that my baby wont go to his biological father  but to my parents? If anyone has any imputs or advice for me please help...

• ANSLUASI
    January 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM

First, you need to be on the books as his custodial parent. has he relinquished his parental rights? If so, get an estate lawyer and draw up a will. In it, specify who you wish to get custody for your child. They don't charge much when it is a simple basic will.  It will cost around $200 to do so (at least in my area outside of Cleveland) but the peace of mind is totally worth it.

BTW: You are young and it would be very cheap to do this because of your age: look into getting a term life insurance policy for yourself. God forbid anything should ever happen to you, you would know that you left your LO well provided for.

• frndlyfn
    January 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM

What everyone else said.  You may also want to look into turning grandparents into the childs legal guardians should something happen.  I am sure if the father does not want contact right now that he would not want ot step up for parenting later.

• GUTTADABOSSLADI
    January 4, 2013 at 11:11 PM

You have to take the bio dad to court and have him to sign over his rights and then make out a will for your parents to get ur child of you should pass. 

• DaniandTom
    January 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

You, pesonally cannot terminate his rights to the child so if you die, he can demand that he be given the child and it won't matter what you have in your will. That being said, you can put down in your will that you want your child to be raised by XYZ and as long as he doesn't contest it or decide to take custody, they will be allowed to raise the child IN MOST INSTANCES. Obviously, it does matter if the home is a dangerous place for the child.

• hollydaze1974
    January 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM
    Absolutely. Write a will, first of all. Make sure you insist that parents are guardians of education and health decisions. Talk to a lawyer , one visit to do it.
    Your child may still go to him, but with your parents ( or future husband) having control over educational and medical decisions, it ties his hands quite a bit. He may just sign over rights. He'll, he may do it now since he's so immature over this.

Good luck.
  • Emiliush
    January 5, 2013 at 7:15 PM

haha! well does the father pays child support? or on your babys birth certificate? if NO then you got nothing to worry about...

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN