Featured Posts
Hayleesma09
When is a good age....
January 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM

To enroll a child into dance classes?? She is 2 now, and I dont think she would be able to concentrate considering her attention span is .5 seconds. So around what age is a good age? 

Replies

• crwspringer
    January 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    All kids are different. Dd is 6 and will be taking her first class next week. She has a friend who has been taking ballroom for 2 years.
  • Jeremmy
    by Jeremmy
    January 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

It depends on the kid, but I think 4 is the youngest I would do it.

• frndlyfn
    January 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM

4 is the youngest i would consider it. DD is almost 7 and still does not have the attention span i feel needed for dance.

• Hayleesma09
    January 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I was also thinking around 4 or older was a good age. She dances all the time is why I think she would love to take dance classes, but just wasn't sure of the age! 

• PerfectVirgo
    January 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    Probably 5. That's when my sensei started teaching little ones.
  • ANSLUASI
    January 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM

We did gymnastics (I know, not dance, but reasonably similar) at age 3 and DD was pretty young for it. She spent more time wandering around, staring off into space, giggling with the other kids and in general fooling around than she did doing gymnastics. DD is 4 now and still loses focus a bit but in general is much more attentive.

Based on my experience, I would say 4 or 5. Stick to things like library storytime for socialization purposes at ages 2 and 3, its cheaper and less frustrating when they lose attention.

• ANSLUASI
    January 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM

BTW: You might want to check with your local library and see if they offer (or know of) any dance or rhythm type activites for young kids. In my area (west of Cleveland) the local library system has a free once a week rhythm and movement storytime for little ones that my DD loved at age 2/3. They banged on drums, clapped, hopped, moved to music and got the wiggles out.

• erinsmom1964
    January 4, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Erin started dance class at 2.5.  It was a class geared to young children.  She had a blast and it was great watching her learn to follow someone elses directions and work as a team with her friends.  

• alexis_06
    January 5, 2013 at 12:49 AM

my daughter started dance at age 4..she loved it.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    January 5, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    Most do not take kids till 3. They have to listen and not have mom around. My dd was 4 and danced till 15.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN