Advice for Moms

yperez0209
Night time feeding of a 1 yr old
January 3, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Apparently there is this women who I don't really know but is adamant that it is safe to put snacks next to a child's bed, who is one and a half, for them to snack on unsupervised during the night. Because they need nourishment during the night.

I think it's all wrong. It's a choking hazard and a one way ticket to the dentist.

Is there any reason other than some type of physical element that you would do this? I understand if the child is sick and dehydrated. But we're talking about a perfectly healthy child. It's just beside me that any one would think this is normal.

Opinions thoughts? BTW I am not saying this is someone on here specifically. Let's just leave it at that.

Replies

• frndlyfn
    January 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Depending on the snack, it would alter my opinion.  DD was still nursing during the night at that age.   You do or the person in question does know a child needs to see a dentist as soon as the first tooth comes through right?  At this age, I preferred dd to ask before she ate anything so i could monitor her eating habits.

• yperez0209
    January 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I'm specifically speaking about solids being left next to a child's bed unsupervised at 1 and a half. For him to snack on during the night by himself. A child who is nursing is not alone.

The teeth thing is secondary. I don't know if nursing ( breast milk does have sugars in it )  can cause cavities, but formula or regular milk can cause bottle root. Even a child as young as one can get cavities if sugars hang out on there teeth over night.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Depending on the snack, it would alter my opinion.  DD was still nursing during the night at that age.   You do or the person in question does know a child needs to see a dentist as soon as the first tooth comes through right?  At this age, I preferred dd to ask before she ate anything so i could monitor her eating habits.

• frndlyfn
    January 3, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Solids i definitely preferred i could supervise even though she was pretty good with cheerios at that age.  I wasnt sure if you meant cereal, chips, pretzels, graham crackers etc for the particular snacks.

luckily even though dd was an extended nurser she did not get her first cavity until after she was done nursing and that was not the cause of it.   She has always loved brushing her teeth so we are lucky in that respect and she drinks lots of water.  She is 6 now.

Quoting yperez0209:

I'm specifically speaking about solids being left next to a child's bed unsupervised at 1 and a half. For him to snack on during the night by himself. A child who is nursing is not alone.

The teeth thing is secondary. I don't know if nursing ( breast milk does have sugars in it )  can cause cavities, but formula or regular milk can cause bottle root. Even a child as young as one can get cavities if sugars hang out on there teeth over night.

Quoting frndlyfn:

• PinkButterfly66
    January 3, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Unless there is something medically wrong with the child, a snack BEFORE bedtime should suffice.  My daughter was on solid foods by a year and her favorite bedtime snack was milk and a jar of purred bananas.

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    January 3, 2013 at 8:25 PM

No, at most a cup of water in case they wanted a drink.  But not anything to eat or drink that would stay on their teeth the rest of the night. When they fall asleep right after eating and without cleaning their teeth, that food stays on their teeth. Saliva and tongue swishing the saliva around doesn't happen the same way when they are asleep, so there is more damage done.

• prettymomma1204
    January 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM

That just screams "Choking Hazard!" Little guys (and some older ones) don't understand that you shouldn't lay down to eat or bounce up and down. If  a person is so concerned about their child's physical well-being they should get their lazy buns outa bed and supervise their feeding. Geez! No food in the bed!

• yperez0209
    January 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I'm still in shock that a mom would defend this ridiculous point that a child needs nourishment so it's ok to leave food during the night. I believe that beds are sleeping point blank, not eating or jumping or playing.

Quoting prettymomma1204:

That just screams "Choking Hazard!" Little guys (and some older ones) don't understand that you shouldn't lay down to eat or bounce up and down. If  a person is so concerned about their child's physical well-being they should get their lazy buns outa bed and supervise their feeding. Geez! No food in the bed!

• prettymomma1204
    January 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM

it's just so dangerous! 

Quoting yperez0209:

I'm still in shock that a mom would defend this ridiculous point that a child needs nourishment so it's ok to leave food during the night. I believe that beds are sleeping point blank, not eating or jumping or playing.

Quoting prettymomma1204:

• butterflycircle
    January 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I think this does sound odd too. at 1yr old my kids were sleeping through the night. Even my son who was bf slept through the night before 1yr. I would not let my kids have snacks in bed especially at a young age. Even now they don't eat after 8pm usually (my daughter is 7 and goes to bed at 8pm and my son is 2 1/2 and goes to bed around 9:30). If they wake up during the night and are hungry they wake me up and tell me and this only happend once a few weeks ago to my 7yr old who was sick for days and hadn't eaten much at all. A dr once told my grandpa that your stomach sleeps while you sleep (I am sure there are like real medical terms but that is the gneral idea). I think this is true, how else could be go 8+ hours with out feeling hunger at all?

It is of course their call, a mother knows her child better than anyone else. I wonder how often the child actually wakes up and eats and goes back to sleep. At that age my kids were still in a crib and I don't let food or drinks in the bed rooms, that is just me though. 

• sarahfaith123
    January 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM

i wouldn't purposly leave it in there and i have been ditzy enough to leave snacks in there that my son has eaten but actually reading your post makes me realize it's careless. that said i do allow a snack after teeth have been brushed, usually oatmeal or pretzels washed down with plain water. my 2 yr old kid gets about 10 books read @ 7 or 730 at night so he has a snack while we read. it's part of a long wind down. he's very active and consumes food about every two hours. i personally believe hunger wakes him up in the morning. some day i will post what he eats in a day on here just for the shock value haha. (he's not overweight or anything and eats mixed diet of healthy and regular stuff)

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts