Featured Posts
kirbyland1986
wean onto cow milk
December 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM

hi everyone this is my first post! thank you for letting me join this forum and I hope I can help when needed as much as you will help me :)

anyway the health visitor told me I can start weaning my 10 month baby onto cow milk and let him be exclusive cow milk by 11 month but not sure hows the best way to do it. He has had yoghurt and today he had cow milk with baby cereal which he loves. I gave him a bottle of milk and brought it out when I thought he would take it but he tried to get my milk occassionally he will drink from the bottle but not much (only drank half of bottle in a day so I have a long way to go!)

is there an easy way to do it? or what I can do to help him a bit? or what? 

many thanks for any advice 

Replies

• Kris_PBG
    December 30, 2012 at 4:11 AM
    Wow op- you were given horrible advice.

Cows milk should not even be introduced until at least one year, and even then it is not necessary.

Continuing to nurse is a MUCH wiser move.

• Mrs.Pedro
    December 30, 2012 at 4:13 AM
    I just wouldn't give it. Humans don't NEED cow milk at all. At this age he should still be breastfed anyway(WHO and AAP recommend until two years old, but after one they can have nutrition solely from food) so if keep going. Why pay for milk when you have it for free from your breasts? I'd offer lots of healthy foods, and maybe some juice here and there(very sparingly- like an ounce or two until 12/13 months old) as long as its 100% juice.
  • kirbyland1986
    December 30, 2012 at 4:15 AM
    Noah has about 2 beakers of squash, 2 sessions on breast in day then 2-4 in the night..., I used to love it but its now very painful
  • Kris_PBG
    December 30, 2012 at 4:16 AM
    An effective way to get them to not bite is immediately remove them from the breast and firmly say "no biting". Don't offer the breast again for a few moments. They quickly learn biting means no milk.

Definitely watch for when he is not property latched. When actively latched, they can nothers bite, so when he is biting, he is not actively nursing.
  • kirbyland1986
    December 30, 2012 at 4:28 AM

i do that. he doesnt go back on till the next session 

• NearSeattleMom
    January 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Quoting kirbyland1986:

thats a bit hard as i breastfeed him so hes drinking from me - wont even touch a bottle with breastmilk or formula so its a bit hard to do it gradually! 

Oh!  In that case, I would just continue breastfeeding and just offer milk from a cup occasionally.  My last two kids breastfed exclusively and never ever took a bottle.

One of them loves to drink milk now and one doesn't it at all.  I don't think cow's milk is really necessary, actually.

• NearSeattleMom
    January 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

An effective way to get them to not bite is immediately remove them from the breast and firmly say "no biting". Don't offer the breast again for a few moments. They quickly learn biting means no milk.

Definitely watch for when he is not property latched. When actively latched, they can nothers bite, so when he is biting, he is not actively nursing.

That's what I did and it worked for me.  I nursed my youngest kids for about two years.  (My oldest two are adopted and had to be on formula.)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts