Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
boat4fun
sleeping problems.....HELP!
December 28, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I  have twin girls Ellyn and Gwyn.  They are fantastic babies and have been sleeping through the night since about 3 months. YEAH!

They are now 10 months old.  About early october- Ellyn started getting ear infections and of course her sleeping patterns changed dramatically. We did everything to help her get through the night - but have often times just brought her to bed with us - for comfort (for her) and sleep for us.

Well - we realize that we have created a monster. However, we are still struggling with ear infections and we are just whooped.

So now - we HOPE that we have things figured out with her ears and are trying to get her through the night again.

We have elevated her bed on one side for an inclined sleep - we have tried to sleep train - by soothing her than leaving the room.  BUT - she cires and screams and then wakes up her sister - and we are in a world of a horrible night for all.  We have put up a pack in play in the spare bedroom - and have tried letting her cry it out there - to avoid waking up her sister - but it is so hard to hear your baby scream. I realize that she probably has me buffaloed and I need to regain control........but how?

Any suggestions on what we can try? We will try anything!

Thanks!

Replies

• funhappymom
    December 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I think she needs you for comfort and support right now and its comforting to be with you during the night.

Have you thought about putting up the pack and play in your room for now and trying that?

• jesuschild06
    December 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM

if you think she should be fine sleeping on her own now again, you may just need to walk outside or something when the crying becomes to much. but like funhappymom said, you could try placing the packnplay in your room, right next to the bed for a few days so that she can still see you, and you can tlak softly to her. and then after a few days, move her to the other side of the room, and then again to her own room, if you want to take the slow approach.

• LuLuRex
    by LuLuRex
    December 28, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I think you are going to just have to transition her back and be prepare to have a lot of patience with it!

Enjoy a Coffee Break Every Tuesday with Us!

• Ama2Gunner
    December 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM

CIO is dangerous. It teaches babies to not trust the adults around them to take care of their needs.

Co-sleeping doesn't create monsters. It creates bonded parents and children. She's 10mo. She's still a baby. She's not manipulating you, nor does she have you "buffaloed". She needs you. Things were traumatic for her, and she needs time to feel like she's in control or that things are normal again. 

You could put a bed next to yours - the pack and play, or a twin bed - and have her sleep on that. She's close, but not "in" your bed. And you could start there, then transition her back to her own room as time goes on.

Are the ear infections done? Does she need tubes in her ears? Is it a drainage problem? Do you vaccinate? Is she allergic to the meds, so they aren't working?

• christineT79
    December 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I agree that co-sleeping isnt as bad as some people say it is. It's not always safe for tiny infants but when they are older it's ok that they sleep with you. You can always take one of the sides off her crib and put it right up against the side of the bed that you sleep on (kind of like a big co-sleeper). It sounds like she needs you right now since her ears hurt & that's ok.

• Lindalou907
    December 29, 2012 at 12:13 AM

She can sleep in her own room, have a routine, and stick to it,if she cries awhile that's okay. You can go in every 10 minutes and reassure her but don't give in if you want her to sleep on her own. Parents need their sleep and alone time.

• boat4fun
    December 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Ear infections - have come and gone. However - they keep appearing. Tubes are our next step if she has another infection.

Last night - was another hard night.  She went down to sleep and i put her in in her bed.  (around 9:30ish) She woke up about 1 am. I soothed her - rubbed her back and she fell back to sleep.  Then in about 20 min. the same thing happened.  Agian I repeated.

Finally - gave in and around 3 am put her in the pack n play in our room. She did do so well. She cried - and I let her have it out. She had bouts where she criedn - and then was quiet. Finally after going on like this for awhile - I just picked her up and cuddled.

She thinks in some way when I bring her to bed - that it's play time. She wants to stand up - tap our faces- giggle. SO I snuggle wrap her - let me know it's bed time. 

I'm a first time mom --- and am stuggling with this. Her twin is sleeping through the night very soundly - and then she is a night time terror.  Oh - I am frustrated and tired.  

Thanks for all your advice. Will Ellyn ever be able to sleep on her own? Frustration has set in. UGH.

• boat4fun
    December 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Ear infections have come and gone.  In early October - we fought one ear infection for about a month. The problem was the meds they gave us - never truly got rid of the infection.  After that - we have gotten about 2 more since Thanksgiving. 

Our next ear infection - Tubes will be considered.  I feel that she really needs tubes. Everyone tells me that when tubes are put in - the sleeping becomes completely different.  

I am just hoping that she can get through the night again. Frustration has set in!

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts