Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
sterilizing bottles
December 27, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I found a bottle under my baby's bed, i'm not sure if there was fomula left in it to dry. It has a little bit of an odor to it so i'm washing it. Is it safe to use bleach water? I want to be sure there is no bacteria left on it. What's the safest way to do this?


  • frndlyfn
    December 27, 2012 at 12:50 AM

    Put in dishwasher for a cycle or use a vinegar wash for it.  I would avoid bleach when it comes to things we eat/drink out of.

  • ilostmy_keys
    December 27, 2012 at 12:51 AM
    Idk.. i just throw them away when I find then like that.
  • alexis_06
    December 27, 2012 at 2:23 AM
    I wash by hand..then dishwasher..then boil it for 10 min.
  • stargaze281
    December 27, 2012 at 2:33 AM

    No, cleaning a baby bottle with bleach is not safe and is ridiculous, to say! Just soak the bottle under hot water for 5 min. and then wash it with a mild dish detergent, and rinse under hot water. Or then just place in dishwasher. Thats it.

  • CorpCityGrl
    December 27, 2012 at 8:47 AM

    Never use bleach for things like that.  Personally, I would just throw it away since you aren't sure if there was even any formula in it.  Otherwise, I would wash in soapy water and then put in the dishwasher.

  • suetoo
    by suetoo
    December 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM

    I like diluted bleach as a disinfectant. 1 part bleach to 10 parts water is fine for kitchen things. It needs to be rinsed after about 5 or 10 minutes. I was a nursing instructor, and our hospital and nursing homes recommended it as a standard infection control measure. I sanitize my bathroom and kitchen with bleach regularly. It is chemically caustic tho, so not full strength. 

  • Matriarch87
    December 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM

    anti bacterial soap...

  • caro100
    by caro100
    December 27, 2012 at 1:27 PM

    I would wash it in regular dish soap then put it in a dishwasher to finish sterilizing

  • lilmama8408
    December 27, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    Id toss it personally. But I would and will never use bleech on things like that. Soak it in hot soapy water, hand wash, dishwasher, boil.
  • kirbymom
    December 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM

    That is one product you should not use if you do not know where it originally came form or what was in it to begin with.  One thing about absorbs everythig it comes into contact with. Dish soap, bleach, milks, juices. Whatever you put in it, it will absorb some of it. So, if you don't know fom whom this container came from, you should not trust this container to be safe enough for your child to drink from. 

    ~ imho

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts