Advice for Moms

Proudmama2912
Is it safe?
December 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Is it ok that I put a scoop of rice cereal in every bottle that my child drinks?

Replies

• StacyO722
    December 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM

What has your Dr said? How old is your child? Why are you wanting to do this?

• Proudmama2912
    December 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM
    10 months. Yes my doctor told me to do it a while ago when he would spit up all the time. Now he doesn't but I still put it in there.

Quoting StacyO722:

What has your Dr said? How old is your child? Why are you wanting to do this?

• MagicTemptation
    December 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM

At 10 months? We did it earlier than that with no issues.

• CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    December 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM

No, If you are going to feed your child rice cereal do so from a bowl and spoon.

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    December 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    Spoon feed. A child 10 months should ready for normal table food soon.
  • jenniferlee_12
    December 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Spoon feed. Don't put it in the bottle.

• purpleorchid92
    December 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Agreed. At 10 mos definitely spoon feed it to your baby, when they are little, most drs advise not putting it into the bottle because it takes the place of needed nutrition from the formula/breastmilk.Rice cereal is lower in calories and fat. If the baby is drinking 4 oz for example  1 of which is rice cereal, the baby is getting cheated on calorie count. Enfamil formula has 100 calories per serving. Rice cereal has about 50-60 calories per serving depending on the brand. So you see, it is not beneficial to put it in the bottle for nutrition reasons.

On the other hand, my baby did have problems with spitting up too, It was really bad. I was also told I could try to use the rice cereal, or there is also formula on the market with it added for this reason.. I didn't find it particurlarly helpful. He still spit up alot. I elevated his matress so he was not lying flat. That definity helped.

• frndlyfn
    December 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I agree with the others.  Give him a few spoonfuls mixed with formula if you prefer from a bowl and spoon, not in his bottle.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts