Featured Posts
sasfk00
To work or not to work?
by sasfk00
December 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Hi there! I am currently a full time working mother of two young boys. I often struggle with the guilt of leaving them and not spending enough time with them as I know most working mothers do. but lately ive been thinking thats its not worth it and im missing them grow up im considering trying to work from home, maybe a in home childcare or something else? Has anyone made the decision to quit their job and stay at home? how did it work out or was it better for your family?

Replies

• elzmnsf
    by elzmnsf
    December 13, 2012 at 3:48 AM
    I've been a sahm for 11 years. It is a decision dh and I made and still make. We sacrifice for it. We have financial hardship from time to time for it, but it is what we want. I just got a "job" dog sitting 3 days a week and it works great for my schedule. And I put job in quotes because I know fully that sitting at this lady's house, watching her two dogs, doing my laundry not hers and having access freely to her kitchen (with my pans and ingredients) and getting paid for it isn't a real job. I got my first job at 14, so I know I fell into a kushy place!! But this is what makes me happy and my family. My mom would have been a horrid sahm, it would never have satisfied her. So you have to do what is best for you and your fam. If not working outside the home will make you uneasy and depressed then don't do it. What the kids need is a good, happy, loving mom regardless of her employment status. If being at home makes you into a retched mess then it isn't worth it!
  • IansMommy2012
    December 13, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Im currently a SAHM . :/ I worked while I was prego in the beginning and then i was laid off .. and my dh just went back to work and i know he hates to leave ds and I hate to leave him just for the afternoon for an appointment or to fun errands let alone to work ;( but with our bill situation I think I might have to find something .. but I guess it would just depend on your financial situation .. could you afford not to work or to work less? 

• aarensmommy
    December 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

i was at home with ds1 till he was two then i went back to school n work part 3 days a week during that time i had ds2 and i missed so much that he did in just the 2yrs i worked even part time cuz i worked 9hr days so when we had dd we decided i should stay home DH income covers our bills and i babysit to make so extra.. it works for us, some days though i wish i could leave the house to go to work lol

• savingtheworld
    December 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    I quit my job of 5 yrs, 6mths ago..I forgot what it was like to b home..I have enjoyed it! An I think my kids appreciated it as well, an I really thought my kids, would have a hard time adjusting to our new budget, but no one complained..but I'm gonna start working on the weekends, for extra money
  • Mommy2justone
    December 13, 2012 at 7:46 PM

If you can financially I would do it. 

I stopped working when I was 8 months pregnant with my daughter. I haven't worked since (except for nannying and part time office work for my step dad, which I brought my daughter to).

• LUCKYTRISH
    December 13, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    I work at our local elementary school, it gives me a little extra money for the groceries and I am on the same shedule as my kids. I am off all summer and home with the kids and when the school is closed for snow days or Christmas and Easter break I am home with the kids!
  • Mindy0531
    December 13, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I quit my job to stay home with my kids! It was just getting hard, by the time you got home from work, it was dinner baths, homework if any, then bed. No time with the family what so ever! So I quit, and beleive me it's been a struggle. I recently started working online, and earning extra money! So that definatly helps this time of the year! Anyway.. good luck! 

• kaitybird
    December 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Every situation is different.  I worked on and off with our dd.  I stayed home with her until she was 4 and then I went to work and we put her in pre-school.  This gave her time to get out learn and mingle with other kids since we did not live around a lot of little kids at this time.  I was fortunate enough that when she started KG, her father and I both got hired on with the school district and was able to work at her school until she was in the 5th grade.  Then I came back home because the school she was going to closed its doors after 108 years.  I have now been home since then and our dd is now in the 10th grade.  Once she graduates I may go back to work and I may not.  Haven't really decided yet.  If I can get a job that works around DH's schedule then I will.  Currently he works 4 days and is off for 4 days and we love the time together.  

You should sit down and write a list of wants, needs, pro's con's and so on and then look around for things.  There is so many things that you can do from home, just remember to treat it like a job as if you don't it won't work!

Sit down with your family and have a discussion on everything!  Good luck to you and whatever you choose to do, but make sure it is right for you and your family!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN