Featured Posts
sdbrowneyez
Would you say something?
December 9, 2012 at 8:20 AM
A little background without making it too long... We live overseas DH is from South America. His mom lives near us but tomorrow is leaving to go back to her country. Last month she came over for DS' bday and brought him a gift but also brought an early Christmas gift for DD which she gave to her in front of DS and their cousin. Well she never gave DS a Christmas gift and today was the last time they'll see her for a long time. It bothers me that she not only gave only one child a present but that she also did it in front of everyone at DS birthday party. I want DH to say something. Would you or just let it go?

Replies

• Mesh2
    by Mesh2
    December 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I might have him say something, your child probably feels left out. 

She probably feels that she bought each one gift, so they are even, but calling one a Christmas present means that someone did not get a Christmas present. 

Does she get both birthday gifts each year? Do you think that a Christmas gift is on the way for the other child? 

• aimesnyc
    December 9, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I don't know if I would make a big deal out of.  It probably cost a lot of money for her to come and visit.  What I would do is buy a gift for your son, write her name on it, and put it under the tree.  Tell him that she couldn't find the gift originally or something in her suitcases, and then she found it before she left. 

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    December 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    They both got gifts. Leave it alone.
  • Bmat
    by Bmat
    December 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I agree with Mesh, she probably feels that they are even, and that your daughter would be feeling left out so this would give her something to open, too. Was the Birthday present to your son something that would be two presents- worth, maybe she meant it to be Christmas also. She didn't forget that it was his birthday did she?

Don't say anything to the children or to her, just let it go.

• garrettleesmom
    December 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I would let it go, she probably thought she was being even with the kids.

• hopealways4019
    December 9, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    I guess she figured son got a birthday gift, they each got one. Didn't want to give him too and daughter one.
  • nuts4scouts
    December 9, 2012 at 10:36 AM

If you were going to say anything it should have been said a month ago when it happened.

At this point it is a long ago done deal, and the only one it is bothering is you.

Let it go.

• -PB
    by -PB
    December 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Meh....I'd just let it go.  They both got gifts.

• DaniandTom
    December 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

It depends. Is this a one time incident or is she constantly doing things that put you on the spot with your kids? If it's ongoing, yes, have your DH say something. If it's a one time thing, just let it go. ♥Hugs♥

• robyann
    by robyann
    December 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

If you don't say anything, then it probably will happen again. I'd have dh say something. I hate when people do that! Poor kids they don't know why they aren't getting a present and the other one is....that's terrible!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN