Advice for Moms

ManthaCole9406
Remedies to reduce a childs fever other than with meds??? Fever of 102° now
December 9, 2012 at 3:31 AM
Does any1 know any home remedies to reduce fevers? My child is allergic yo Ibuprofen/Advil &I I've been giving Tylenol but its not helping... & it wont drop below 101-100°.

Replies

• heartslove09
    December 11, 2012 at 2:23 AM
    I agree a nice room temp bath, it usually does the trick and also no layers
  • mrskathleen
    December 11, 2012 at 8:08 AM

sure a warm bath or cloths to wet and use on head

• ManthaCole9406
    December 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    Thanks for all the advice!!
  • kelliewhitney
    December 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM

My pediatrician reccomends room-temp baths. Cool or cold baths will cause them to shiver, which increases body temp. Also avoid dangerous home remedies like rubbing alcohol on the body (it can cause alcohol poisoning).

I would not worry about a low grade fever, but you know your child best.

I have one who will carry a 101 - 102 degree fever for days (she has one now), and I let her ride it out unless she is miserable. I have another who can go from normal to 104 degrees in an hour. He gets meds the second I think he may be getting sick. We alternate between Advil and Tylenol (on the reccomendation of his pediatrician, following his strict guidelines).

For every one else's information, Advil does tend to work better on fevers, but if your kids is allergic, what can you do? Tylenol and warm baths.

Again, a low-grade fever can make a kid uncomfortable, but it is nothing to worry about unless there are other symptoms, or if it has been there with medication for more than a few days.

Of couse, I am NOT a doctor. Best course of action is to give a call to the pediatrician and ask what you need to look for.

• Momforhealth
    December 17, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Fever over 102 means infection.  He may need anti-biotic or something like it.  I would call his pediatrician.  (why don't you have insurance?) He probably wont drink because a fever that high can make his tummy upset.  Usually if I could get my kids fever down, when it was down, I gave them clear fluids.   But only little sips at a time because too much to fast will also cause upset tummy.  So use cold compresses or cool bath and keep him in bed..that is all you can do. Fever is good because it is fighting whatever it is..just feels terrible.  My kids love Minute Maid fruit punch.  I know there is lots of sugar but it tastes good and they drink it.  I used to drink it when B.F. if I got clogged boy it works to hydrate you and cool down the body when you need to drink lots fast.  There are also those Capri Sun pouches that say something like electrolytes on them.  I would try popsicles too.  Anything to get fluids in him.  although they say to much sugar wont help...  Dehydration is pretty scary if you have ever had it happen.  If his tummy is upset, call the Dr. and ask if they can call something in or ask a pharmacist how much dramaline (motion sickness nausea medicine) you can give him. I think I saw a children's package of it at the store the other day. But please ask a Dr. or pharmacist before you give him anything and to double check.  I am just a Mom with 4 kids.

Another thing you can try is peppermint tea.  Or mint tea. good for nausea but also folklore good for reducing fever.  I think it works. :/  I hope he feels better.  P.S.  I do not see how onions in their socks would work??

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    December 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM

This post is over a week old now. 

Quoting Momforhealth:

Fever over 102 means infection.  He may need anti-biotic or something like it.  I would call his pediatrician.  (why don't you have insurance?) He probably wont drink because a fever that high can make his tummy upset.  Usually if I could get my kids fever down, when it was down, I gave them clear fluids.   But only little sips at a time because too much to fast will also cause upset tummy.  So use cold compresses or cool bath and keep him in bed..that is all you can do. Fever is good because it is fighting whatever it is..just feels terrible.  My kids love Minute Maid fruit punch.  I know there is lots of sugar but it tastes good and they drink it.  I used to drink it when B.F. if I got clogged boy it works to hydrate you and cool down the body when you need to drink lots fast.  There are also those Capri Sun pouches that say something like electrolytes on them.  I would try popsicles too.  Anything to get fluids in him.  although they say to much sugar wont help...  Dehydration is pretty scary if you have ever had it happen.  If his tummy is upset, call the Dr. and ask if they can call something in or ask a pharmacist how much dramaline (motion sickness nausea medicine) you can give him. I think I saw a children's package of it at the store the other day. But please ask a Dr. or pharmacist before you give him anything and to double check.  I am just a Mom with 4 kids.

Another thing you can try is peppermint tea.  Or mint tea. good for nausea but also folklore good for reducing fever.  I think it works. :/  I hope he feels better.  P.S.  I do not see how onions in their socks would work??

• PinkParadox
    December 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM
    Vinegar bath. Make sure to use it on back of neck & armpits. Rub his feet, to bring fever out of head...and Popsicles
  • Momforhealth
    December 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM

oh haha..I'm a dork.

Quoting atlmom2:

This post is over a week old now. 

Quoting Momforhealth:

Advice for Moms