Advice for Moms

mommylizTB2809
Toddlers and babies
December 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM

How did you tell your toddlers you were pregnant. I'm asking because me and my husband and are ttc #2 but are toddler is 15 months old now. ( I hoping to get prego in jan or feb ). When we get pregnant how should we tell her. I know she will not understand but I want her to know anyway

Replies

• frndlyfn
    December 8, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Hmm I do not know since i only have one dd.  When it happens explain that there is a baby growing in mommy's tummy and cant wait to meet their big sister.

• SewingMamaLele

We just would say "there's a baby in mommy's tummy!"  or "you're going to get a baby brother or sister!"... they get it eventually, but not fully until baby actually comes.

• sophiesister2
    I dont think she will understand at all..but heres a bump :) goodluck. You're much braver. than i lol
  • mommylizTB2809
    December 8, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I much braver? Why?

Quoting sophiesister2:

I dont think she will understand at all..but heres a bump :) goodluck. You're much braver. than i lol

• meliscool72
    December 8, 2012 at 12:43 AM

my children loved climbing on me and jumping on me (which I allowed as youngsters) and when I got pregnant I told them they cannot do that because their baby brother was in my tummy and we did not want to hurt him

• hollydaze1974
    December 8, 2012 at 12:46 AM
    I'm sure there is a book out there with pictures she can look at until babe is born. It would be a great keepsake for when she understands better as you two can eventually read it together.
  • sophiesister2
    December 8, 2012 at 12:50 AM
    Because I dont think I could handle an infant and a 2yr old 24/7. I nannied for 2 girls a 3month old and 2year old and it was exhausting! I was also pregnant at the time so maybe that added to my exhaustion

Quoting mommylizTB2809:

I much braver? Why?

Quoting sophiesister2:

• SewingMamaLele
    December 8, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Totally!  I thought 2 years would be a good age gap... but thankfully my body had different ideas and my kids all ended up being 3 years apart.   Now I think I was probably nuts thinking 2 years was a good gap!   haha. 

Quoting sophiesister2:

Because I dont think I could handle an infant and a 2yr old 24/7. I nannied for 2 girls a 3month old and 2year old and it was exhausting! I was also pregnant at the time so maybe that added to my exhaustion

Quoting mommylizTB2809:

I much braver? Why?

Quoting sophiesister2:

• rayroe2
    by rayroe2
    December 8, 2012 at 4:10 AM

my dd was 6months when I got preggo she is a year now, and i would just talk to her everyday still do and show her my belly and tell her baby sister is in there and she going to be a big sister. LOL she then started doing this thing where she pokes her belly out and rubs it. She knows I have something in my belly she just doesnt understand that something in gonna come out of it.

• GodsAmiga
    December 8, 2012 at 5:28 AM

My kids are 21 months apart and my first understood just fine. :-) We became pregnant right before she turned a year and by the time she was 15 months old she was telling everyone all about how a baby was growing inside mommy's tummy and that when she was big enough the baby was going to come out and she's have a brother or sister. She would talk about the baby being too little to play with her at first but that the baby would grow bigger and she (my oldest) would teach the baby how to do things. When she saw a pregnant woman she would always tell me there was a baby in her tummy and then if she saw a baby she would tell me that the baby used to be in its mommy's tummy but got bigger and bigger and came out and now you can see the baby! :-) Anyways, all I did was talk about the baby a lot. I would talk about what was going on and how the baby was growing and stuff in toddler terms and talked to the baby and invited her to talk to the baby (she loved talking to the baby and kissing the baby-aka my stomach-and singing to the baby). When I was first talking about it I would point out pregnant women as an extra opportunity to talk about it. If someone we met or knew had a baby I would tell her about how the baby had been in the mommy's tummy. When she was around 20 months old my midwives gave me a book called, "I'm A Big Sister Now" that just talked about a new baby being in the house. When I got to be about 8.5 months we started talking about what to expect: how pretty soon the baby was going to want out and how Grammy was going to come and babysit her while Mommy and Daddy went to the hospital and that after the baby was born Grammy and Papa would take her to the hospital to come see her little sister and that when the doctors said it was okay we'd be coming home and we'd pick her up on the way. Well, my labor was SUPER fast and after my mom came to our house and we dashed out to the car I realized we hadn't told her at all what was going on. Plus she'd been woken up by the commotion (it was the middle of the night) so I was really afraid she was going to be super confused. My mom told me when they came to see us in the hospital that after we dashed out she turned to Rachel prepared to tell her what was going on and soothe her and stuff and instead Rachel proceeded to tell HER! She told her how we were going to the hospital and that the baby was coming out and how she'd get to visit us in the hospital. :-) I truly believe that many kids understand way more than we give them credit for. My daughter was VERY vocal though so she talked about it a lot more than other kids may have. :-)

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts