Featured Posts
H.Perales
Taking Metformin, pregnant! Advice.
December 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Not sure if I posted in the right place, but hey. I tried.

A little over a year my husband and I have been trying to conceive. Turns out I had PCOS. I was sent to a fertility clinic and he prescribed me Metformin. I've been taking it a little over a month now, and I'm officially pregnant!

My concern: To those who've taken Metformin we're you taken off right away or were you told to keeping taking it till first trimester. I'm very scared of losing this child. I have yet to talk to my doctor about it, I have an appointment later this month. Also. Were you considered a high risk, due to PCOS?

I just found out Monday that I was pregnant, but have yet to enjoy it, due to constant worry. And I know I shouldn't stress, that's why I'm asking others who've had this problem to help me.

Thanks for your time,

Hope

Replies

• rayroe2
    by rayroe2
    December 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM

BUMP!

• -PB
    by -PB
    December 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I'm not familiar but here's a bump.

• VintageWife
    December 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Ask your OB. They'll probably start to wean you off of it from what they've told me.

• mmccrea
    by mmccrea
    December 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Congrats!  Metformin is considered: "FDA pregnancy category B. Metformin is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby."  I was on several 'category B' drugs throughout my pregnancy, with no side effects.  Don't worry about it!  Your baby should be fine!  I don't know about PCOS being considered high-risk though.  My aunt has PCOS and had 3 healthy children, no complications.  Other factors could come into play, like your age, your weight, things like that.  

• buttersworth
    December 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I was on Metformin but it was prescribed to me after a miscarriage. The miscarriage was supposedly due to havng PCOS which I was told stood for polycystic ovarian syndrome. So I asked my doc, do I have cysts on my ovaries then? And he said he couldn't tell, they could be too small to see. He said I couldn't get pregnant again and if I somehow manage to, I wouldn't carry to term.

Psshaw! Five years later, while off the Metformin, I started going to a chiropractor and after significant adjustments to my back - BAM! - I got pregnant. Then pregnant again 3 months after delivering the last one. I already had a 10 yr old at the time, prior to the PCOS diagnosis.

Doctors are full of it. Two of my children were not only to term, but either as late as could be or had to be induced. Only my last pregnancy was premature because I'd had the pregnancies so close together I had placenta previa. But all kids normal.

I would be concerned about being on any medication while pregnant. Not to cause undue concern, but honestly, I do not trust the FDA that one person here mentioned. I believe their interests are compromised. They can be bought off. Even if it's "okay" don't you want to give your baby the best potential rather than take a risk? Medications don't belong in your body, I view anything including acetametophin to be at least somewhat a risk.

I wouldn't wait to find out. Why don't you call the docs office and ask? There are usually nurses that are there to answer your questions. If they won't answer over the phone, use this problem to convince them to give you an appointment sooner.

Good luck, God Bless.

• Mrsfarr
    by Mrsfarr
    December 6, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    Metformin is considered a "safe" drug during pregnancy so don't worry about harming the baby.

I took metformin for my pcos in the beginning of my pregnancy (I can't remember when I stopped taking it) but it was prescribed simply to lessen the symptoms of pcos and help me get pregnant, so I was told I could stop taking it after my pregnancy was established because I no longer needed it.
    Call your prescribing physician and ask their opinion of what's best for you.
  • H.Perales
    December 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Thanks ladies. A lot of stress has been lifted. My first appointment will be on the 18th,so hopefully they'll tell me whats going on.

• xoxRachelxox
    December 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

You can always call the OBGYN's office and let them know you're worried about it and ask if you should keep taking it.

You can do that any time you have any questions, even if they haven't seen you yet.

I have to take anti depressents while pregnant and I've had to ask questions before even getting an appointment with them.

• AnitaA
    by AnitaA
    January 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Hi! Just wondering what your doc said, cos I'm on the same boat! Just got a BFP and can't call doc until Monday!  Can you please update? Did you have to stop the metformin? Thanks,

• RutterMama
    January 12, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Bump for ya

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN