Featured Posts
SexyTeacher
Teacher gifts-PIOG
December 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM

In another group there was a post about giving gifts to teachers. Every year I get gifts from my students. Some personal drawings or letters or parents buy something for their kids to give me. I appreciate and love each and every gift. Many give me gift cards or a actual money. Most of what I get it is put back into the classroom! $200 a year is not enough! I had to fight tooth and nail to get new books for the reading program we use-SRA. I nearly had to go to the school board to get a printer for the classroom computer! Fortunately we do have a small supply room where we get copy paper, pens, pencils, notebooks, notebook paper, markers etc.  That supply is usually depleted by mid-year or before. That is why we put out supply lists at  the beginning of the year. If each kids brings in Kleenex or baby wipes we can usually make it though 3/4 of the year(unless I have a student that needs to be changed)but then I or my assistant have to buy it. But I do not EXPECT a gift from any student. Last year the whole class got together and gave me and my assistant a $100 Visa gift card. A nice smile and hug before Christmas break is enough for me.

BTW, for the post that said, "keep that money for your household, that teacher gets paid" you obviously don't know how little teachers make. Most teachers don't do it solely for a paycheck. On our taxes we can claim the $250 teacher deduction but my recepts often total $500 or more!

Replies

• Jers.
    by Jers.
    December 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Thank you for posting this - It amazes me how clueless some people are ( and how rude).

• JasonsMom2007
    December 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I saw that.  My son's mentor teacher (charter homeschool) doesn't provide anything for his education out of her pocket but we are still getting her a gift.  She is still an important person in my son's life and I want to teach him to be giving!  Do you think some homemade plum jelly would be appreciated?  I have a ton of it and we have so many people who have really been there for us between school and church I was thinking about giving them all jelly.

• SexyTeacher
    December 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Yes, the jelly would be a great gift. I still most if not all of the "homemade" cards, pictures and Christmas ornaments. I still hang the ornaments on my tree every year. But it is not a requirement to get a teacher a gift. I don't treat anyone any differently if they get me a gift or not.

• Peechi81
    December 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    It's truly amazing to me the way moms act about buying school supplies. As if the teacher doesn't do enough by molding the adults of the future. There are a lot of parents who should be happy to contribute to the person who spends most of their time with our children. I appreciate my sons' teachers. And I try to do whatever I can to help.
  • frndlyfn
    December 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM

We bought ours 2 hand creams and a keepsake stuffed sheep ornament.   Throughout the year we send in supplies and gave her a one gallon container of hand sanitizer for the room back in october.  I know our teacher this year does not make alot but last year dd's teacher was a 30 year veteran so she made a heck of alot more.  We still helped out as needed so that the students could have the best year possible.

• alexis_06
    December 6, 2012 at 3:56 AM

i always get my daughters teacher some sort of candle set, and then a gift card to a local donut/coffee shop

• deadlights86
    December 6, 2012 at 4:14 AM
    My kids teacher is getting coal. She's worthless. Stupid school put him on half days cause they don't want to help him and I asked if they could send work home for him not only did the not do that they stopped sending home his homework I had to complain to his counselor and the school psyc.
  • BaBa1123
    December 6, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Thank you.   I did not realize how much teachers use their own pocket money to pay for supplies.  I will pass the word around to my circle of friends and let them know.   I do not understand the budget that this country has made up by letting the teachers use their own money for supplies this is awful.   Why do the big CEOs of this country get away with so much.  You are doing the best you can and I know you should be paid so much more and the buget for supplies she included EVERYTHING not just pens, pencils, notebooks etc.   Thank you again for caring for your students.   

• Mommy2justone
    December 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM

We plan on making my daughters 3 teachers a craft, not sure what yet though. Maybe a picture frame, we shall see .

• victoriahearts
    December 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM

My son loves baking so we usually will send cake in a jar to our teachers there usually a hit but I also pitch in with the PTA that puts together money for gift cards for the teachers.  Most people tell  me I shouldn't buy the teachers anything because my ex an I pay tuition but the things is my son's teacher is with him all day, 5 days a week, teaching and guiding him, I think the least I can do to thank her is give her a little token of our appericiation, tuition or not. I think people often forget how much teachers give of themselves to our children, so Thank you for being a teacher and being such a great one for what I can tell. 

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts