Advice for Moms

jvalenze
Left my job
December 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Hi, I quit my job yesterday,I should explain what happened I had a job 12pm-8pm,my girls are in school so I tell the school if my kids need to go home being sick call by 10:00am so I can take care of things and be able to go to work,Well last week the school called when I was at work that my kid needed to go to hospital (she had sparined her back aweek before this is ny 16 with AD/HD) that she couls hardly walk well my job was upset so was i my daughter had been in the nurse's office at 8:00 am and it was 12 when they called me.I took my 16 year old anyways.

Then this week my 18 yr with learning diabilities the school called right before i was leaving to go to work I needed to bring her to the hospital she could hardly walk her knee and foot had gone numb she had twisted the legiments a couple weeks before so I called work and I understand it is not far to a job to call in but they are my kids,When I called my job they had told me to drop my daughter off at the hospital and come to work ya she maybe 18 but she doesn't understand things with her disabilities so yes I did quit ,I could not believe I was working for someone that was that cold about children especially when they have disabilies and I am their ownly parent around.

Maybe I was wrong,I dont believe so but I am a mom first,what do you all think?

Replies

• GOBryan
    by GOBryan
    December 5, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I have 2 special needs kids but the questions also is.. Do you have a way to support yourself and your kids now that you quit that job and yes, I understand why you quit but although the economy is improving, in some areas, jobs aren't so easy to obtain. 

• Mommy2justone
    December 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I hope you have a option B.

• marchantmom06
    December 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    So you have no family or friends and enough saved to support you and these children that seem to easily injure without a job?
  • jvalenze
    December 5, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I do have some money to take care of my children,and I am already looking for a job I have never been out of having a job ,the school and I have talked and they will not call everyday to tell me my kids dont feel good and will try and comply with letting me know as soon as possible if my children need help and I will try for a day job so I can be there for my kids at night to take them to the hospital when they come home from school.

I also did try and explain things to my job about changing my hours a few weeks ago but they said they would see but they never answered me.I know I have to have a job and I know I have to take care of my children too.

Thank you for your advice 

• Teacher101
    December 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I am assuming you don't have medical insurance now to pay the kids mounting medical bills?

• jvalenze
    December 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM

They have their own insurance because of their disabilities

• sabrtooth1
    December 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Quoting jvalenze:

my kid needed to go to hospital (she had sparined her back aweek before ...) that she couls hardly walk 

Then this week my 18 yr I needed to bring her to the hospital she could hardly walk her knee and foot had gone numb she had twisted the legiments a couple weeks before ...

Besides the obvious question of  "How are you going to support yourself and your children?", and the statement "You DO know that you will NOT get unemployment because you QUIT, don't you?"  I would like to know why you let you children's injuries go UNtreated for weeks, till they got to this condition?  And surely the mornings in question, you noticed they "couls hardly walk", so why did you take them to school in the first place?   

• robyann
    by robyann
    December 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I hope you have some other source of income, someway to support your kids and yourself. But I totally understand why you'd quit, I'd quit too. Your kids come first always.

• AubreeGrace17
    December 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    What a mess...
  • Derari
    by Derari
    December 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM

That's a tough situation, your kids need you for these medical issues...your job isn't being understanding or flexible...and the school delays on telling ou what is going on. I do see why you quit. I think too many ppl in here feel like you being out of a job means somehow they are supporting you...it's dumb. Beyond the money, those kids need you. I pray you find a job quickly.

Advice for Moms