Featured Posts
Whitmcg91
1 year old tantrums... what to do?
December 4, 2012 at 1:58 AM

My 13 month old daughter has just started biting, hitting, punching, screaming and testing me! What are some techniques you have used to help stop this behavior? She tends to do this more after i have said no and will run away and once i have picked her up she will put her arms up and grunt yell lol. She doesn't want help with feeding, she doesn't want to be held or even comforted long, must be terrible twos already?

Replies

• la_bella_vita
    December 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I've noticed my kid's only do tantrums when tired or hungry. I have scheduled snacks and meals to help with hunger part and I do everything in my power to not take them places when they need a nap, lol. Be consistent. I kiss their hands when they hit and say not nice, good touch only.

• Whitmcg91
    December 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Thank you everyone! She does have a entire safe place she runs around in all day and lots of room, She Is very independant and loves praise and she loves to show off and show me all she can do! I have alot of people telling me to spank or stop being so nice to her and i can't be mean to my baby... i think i will do the time outs when she can't calm down and see if it works, i do want to start sign language too!

• LindaClement
    December 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM

He's not 'testing' you. 'Testing' requires a number of brain components your baby is not going to have available until he's nearly a teenager.

The best way to guide a toddler's behaviour is to set up the environment so everything she can reach she can safely play with. Distraction works better than taking things away, and telling her what she is allowed to do is more effective than saying 'no' 7 million times a week.

It's not 'terrible twos' is unrealistic expectations.

• emmy526
    by emmy526
    December 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM

what are some of the things/changes that set her off?  Change of routine? Change of pace with activities?  Distraction is the best technique for a child that age, as they cannot comprehend 'time out' just yet, nor taking toys away.  If it's transition times she has trouble with, give her a heads up when things/activities are going to change. 

• Whitmcg91
    December 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Linda I am very kind and fair with my child, i have never been mean to her, yelled at her and i show her alot of love. I am just afraid she will begin to hurt me by biting and becoming physical to show how she feels, she has been lately and i wanted help to figure out what i can do without being mean. I hope my post wasnt offensive to you i didn't mean to make myself out to be a bad parent that expects too much from my baby.

• sreichelt26
    December 6, 2012 at 1:42 AM
    This. Check out ahaparenting.com. lots of great info on there

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Let her feed herself and let her run. She wants to use all of those new skills to the fullest!

As for the tantrums put her in a safe place and walk away until she calms down. Make sure you are giving her words to use as she grows "I understand you are feeling _______ right now..."
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts