Advice for Moms

gummibr
Anyone have a child that is color blind?
by gummibr
December 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM

My son is four and is color blind.  My brother is color blind so it does run in the family.  He mixes up blue and purple, although he can see some shades of purple.  He also confuses green and brown, yellow and orange, and sometimes red with random colors.  Anyone else have a child who is color blind and what colors do they confuse?  My eye doctor told me it wasn't possible for him to confuse blue and purple so some validation would be nice!  My son has trouble with the exact some colors as my brother.

Replies

• frndlyfn
    December 3, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Hmm My guy is color blind but not dd.  He confuses almost every color imaginable except black and white.

• Mommy2justone
    December 3, 2012 at 11:56 AM

My daughter has some, but only the weird ones, Orange and yellow are her big ones. We don't know if it is actual color blindness or part of her CMS.

• SouthTxPrincess
    December 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    My dad is color blind like pp said except for black and white he can't really tell the difference though he has trained himself I guess you could say to tell the difference in some colors. But blue and purple are very similar so I could understand your son not being able to tell them apart.
  • mom2ljh
    by mom2ljh
    December 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    I have a husband who's colorblind. He's red/green colorblind. He sees some purples as gray or brown.
  • erinsmom1964
    December 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    He isnt confusing blue and purple he cant see red. Red and blue make purple so if you cant see red what color would purple look like to you? My eldest is color blind he is 27. Most common form is lack of red and green. For example my son sees pink as white because of the red issue. Also you gotta understand they dont know what they are missing as they age they learn what color we see with certain colors although they see it differently so that comes with age and maturity and
  • erinsmom1964
    December 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    Color blindness is rare in girls

Quoting Mommy2justone:

My daughter has some, but only the weird ones, Orange and yellow are her big ones. We don't know if it is actual color blindness or part of her CMS.

• gummibr
    by gummibr
    December 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I forgot the pink and white one.  He does see pink as white.  I understand the whole red pigment, but he still can't see purple.

• Mommy2justone
    December 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    So is cms.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Color blindness is rare in girls

Quoting Mommy2justone:

• Refurbished
    December 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM

My ex is color blind.  He can't tell the difference between pink and red or the difference between blue and purple. 

This is a hereditary thing.  Your father was color blind and all of your sons will be.  If you have a daughter and she marries someone who is color blind, her daughters have a chance of being color blind. 

• erinsmom1964
    December 3, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    Because purple us blue and red mixed so if he cant see red then if course he cant see purple

Quoting gummibr:

I forgot the pink and white one.  He does see pink as white.  I understand the whole red pigment, but he still can't see purple.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts