Featured Posts
brownfamilie
Think I have postpartum depression! Help!
November 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I think I might be suffering from postpartum depression! I just feel down. I had been feeling fine for the first couple weeks, but now I just feel not good enough. I feel like I'm letting everyone down. I'm having finacial problems due to my maternity leave, and I feel like it's all my fault. Keep thinking if I would've done this or that things wouldn't be so bad now. I'm hurting so bad money wise that I'm returning to work tomorrow. Tuesday will be 4 weeks since giving birth to my daughter. I wish I could spend more time at home with her, but I just can't finacially. I feel so useless.. but I don't feel any sadness towards my kids. They are the only thing that keeps me smiling nowadays. When I look at either one of them a smile comes on my face, and I feel so blessed to have them in my life. Anything else makes me sad though. I normally don't get this upset over money. I've made it through tough times many times before, but it just seems to hit harder now. Makes things worse when my husband makes the comment that I should've listen to him months ago, and did something different so we'd be more prepared. It makes me feel like it's more my fault. Could this be postpartum depression? Any advice would be helpful.

Replies

• mamalusbear
    November 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM

My OB said the first six weeks are rough, all the hormones leaving your body, coupled with the sleep deprivation, and caring for a new baby.  Maybe give it a week or two more and definitely discuss things with your OB; you could just give him/her a call and discuss how you're feeling, see if there are any reccomendations.  Best of luck, fortunately it's very treatable.  Hope you feel better soon.

• brownfamilie
    November 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Thank you. I go see my OB on the 5th of Dec. for my checkup after delivery. It really hit me hard last night, and today just feel sad. I didn't feel like this after having my son, and things were a lot tougher than. Will definately give OB a call today, and see what he says.

• Firstbabyboy912
    November 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I think it might just be a bad case of the baby blues which is very common. It also seems that just you have other stress adding ontop of that. I had the baby blues for the first couple of weeks, I felt horrible and just like you I didn't feel any sadness nor resentment towards my son, it just felt like everything else would make me feel sad and I would cry almost everyday. Just remember it will get better, that's what got me through it. Having friends and family there for support will make things a little easier. I know it's not easy at all but you will get through this trust me, if you need someone to talk to even though you don't know me lol I'm here, trusting me venting helps a lottttttt. I wish you the best of luck Hun. Stay positive!

• Emilytrademark
    November 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Your hormones are whack, you aren't getting much sleep, you have a brand new baby to care for, your world is completely changing, you have to go back to work too soon, you have no time for yourself and you have financial stresses. No wonder you feel down! Talk to your doctor about it but realize that it's normal and this too shall pass!

• AllieRambles
    November 16, 2012 at 4:37 PM

You sound like you are very overwhelmed.  You're not alone, many of us have, I do and my kids are 14 and 12. 

I did have postpartum depression for 8 months so I feel for you.  But I got out of it by getting out with other moms to the park with the kids or just coffee one morning or evening.  Simple things like talking to other moms can make a huge difference.

Get to that doctor as soon as you can, make sure you are not depressed.  He or she can surely help you.  Insist they do.

If you are overwhelmed, it will pass.  Life will make a turn upwards for you soon.  You already know to talk to moms and your doctor.  You're a smart woman and smart woman never go down without a fight. :-)

I wish you the best.  Do you have friends you can talk to?  A mommy group to go to?  I know when I had my second child my friends brought dinner to my house for a few weeks.  It really relieved the stress of making dinner and the financial worry of buying food.  See if you can get a few meals brought to you?

I hope I helped.  I've been there.  Not easy but you'll get out and your baby will bring you so much joy forever.

• motherlove220
    November 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    Sounds like you are feeling a little down. It will get better. Talk to your dr. And see what he has to say. It will get better. Remember this too shall pass. I truly ho truly hope that you feel better soon.
  • brownfamilie
    November 16, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Thank you! I will remember to stay positive! And will def hit you up if I need to vent :)

Quoting Firstbabyboy912:

I think it might just be a bad case of the baby blues which is very common. It also seems that just you have other stress adding ontop of that. I had the baby blues for the first couple of weeks, I felt horrible and just like you I didn't feel any sadness nor resentment towards my son, it just felt like everything else would make me feel sad and I would cry almost everyday. Just remember it will get better, that's what got me through it. Having friends and family there for support will make things a little easier. I know it's not easy at all but you will get through this trust me, if you need someone to talk to even though you don't know me lol I'm here, trusting me venting helps a lottttttt. I wish you the best of luck Hun. Stay positive!

• brownfamilie
    November 16, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Quoting AllieRambles:

You sound like you are very overwhelmed.  You're not alone, many of us have, I do and my kids are 14 and 12. 

I did have postpartum depression for 8 months so I feel for you.  But I got out of it by getting out with other moms to the park with the kids or just coffee one morning or evening.  Simple things like talking to other moms can make a huge difference.

Get to that doctor as soon as you can, make sure you are not depressed.  He or she can surely help you.  Insist they do.

If you are overwhelmed, it will pass.  Life will make a turn upwards for you soon.  You already know to talk to moms and your doctor.  You're a smart woman and smart woman never go down without a fight. :-)

I wish you the best.  Do you have friends you can talk to?  A mommy group to go to?  I know when I had my second child my friends brought dinner to my house for a few weeks.  It really relieved the stress of making dinner and the financial worry of buying food.  See if you can get a few meals brought to you?

I hope I helped.  I've been there.  Not easy but you'll get out and your baby will bring you so much joy forever.

I think being stuck in the house doesn't help any. I haven't been out except to pay bills and grocery shop in almost 4 weeks. I think being at work around people I can talk to will help a lot. I have a few close friends to talk to. I lost a couple friends after I got married and found out I was pregnant back in March cause they were jealous of the good things that were happening for me. No lose if you ask me. If they were true friends they would've been happy for me. As far as I know there isn't any mom groups in our small town, but will definately look into it. That might be fun! My husband normally cook, cause I'm a terrible cook. A couple friends have brought me food, but their idea of food is a fast food restuarant. I truly appreciate it and I eat it cause they bought it for me.. but honestly I'm trying to lose this baby fat and all these burgers aren't helping :) You have put a smile on my face from your kind words, and I thank you!

• littlepinkrose
    November 17, 2012 at 1:30 AM

It sounds like you are going to make it.  Your feelings although no fun are common.  Just remember to try and not take things personal and keep your head up.  Sounds like you have a good support system from some close friends which is nice.  Maybe ask them to stop bringing you food and go on a walk with you instead (bring the kids to if you can handle it.)  And do talk to your doctor they really do care how you are doing mentally as well as physically.  Good luck!!

• deviljrswifey
    November 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    I had postpartum depression for 8 month after pregnancy. I was put on meds right away for it. I cried over every little thing. I cried over her crying. I felt just down 24/7. I had to seriously drag myself out of bed.., I couldn't even really sleep. The anti depressants helped. Im a lot better now. I actually smile and laugh.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts