Advice for Moms

rockabillybetty
Thanksgiving Sides!!!!!
November 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM
What are your favorite sides to make?? Any non traditional ones out there?? Im tired of the same ol..
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Mixed veggies
cranberry sauce
Corn on cob
Pumpkin pie
Biscuits

Stuffing
I wana make and just flat out do something different this year and say BE THANKFUL MOMMA IS CREATIVE DARING AND CAN COOK lol we have a Turkey and a Ham from the tribe because bf is a tribal employee thank goodness they give these out to us every year!! SHOOT away ladies ideas ideas please thank you !

Replies

• frndlyfn
    November 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM

STUFFING  , How about a mashed potato with spinach or mashed cauliflower blended in?   Broccoli/cauliflower blend.   Glazed carrots.    Peas and pearl onions in a butter sauce.   Are there any tradtional tribal foods you have not tried to cook yet?

• rockabillybetty
    November 15, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    Nah we eat those during Easter because of the ceremonies i participate in so we can find them all over the place for lent lol..peas and pearl onions sounds gooood! I love them teeny onions!

Quoting frndlyfn:

STUFFING  , How about a mashed potato with spinach or mashed cauliflower blended in?   Broccoli/cauliflower blend.   Glazed carrots.    Peas and pearl onions in a butter sauce.   Are there any tradtional tribal foods you have not tried to cook yet?

• frndlyfn
    November 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM

For some reason i associate them with holiday food LOL  I love pearl onions for a side.

Quoting rockabillybetty:

Nah we eat those during Easter because of the ceremonies i participate in so we can find them all over the place for lent lol..peas and pearl onions sounds gooood! I love them teeny onions!

Quoting frndlyfn:

• rockabillybetty
    November 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    Yr before last i made a sweet potato pie. Bf ate the whole thing by himself!! Lol it was awsum im making him another this yr sweet potatoes are on sale atm here ! Hee yaay! Im gona add the peas and onions :))

Quoting frndlyfn:

For some reason i associate them with holiday food LOL  I love pearl onions for a side.

Quoting rockabillybetty:

Quoting frndlyfn:

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    November 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    I make a green bean casserole, not the traditional one.
  • KYblondegirl
    November 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM

You could always make casseroles.  I cook for a crowd and you can usually makee the casseroles ahead of time.  My favorite is Paula Deen's squash casserole--it's terrific!  or you can do Broccolli cheese casserole--it's easy and yummy too!

• rockabillybetty
    November 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    Omg i LITERALLY drooled at the broccoli and cheese casserole lol do you have a recipe or do i gotta google it?? Lol

Quoting KYblondegirl:

You could always make casseroles.  I cook for a crowd and you can usually makee the casseroles ahead of time.  My favorite is Paula Deen's squash casserole--it's terrific!  or you can do Broccolli cheese casserole--it's easy and yummy too!

• rockabillybetty
    November 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    My son loves greener beans! He calls them that lol what do you do thats different? :)

Quoting atlmom2:

I make a green bean casserole, not the traditional one.

• frndlyfn
    November 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM

mmmmmmmmmm broccoli cheese casserole.   I have to google for the recipe.

Broccoli and Cheese Casserole

Recipe courtesy Cathy Lowe

Total Time:
    50 min
    Prep
    20 min
    Cook
    30 min
    Yield:
    4 to 6 servings
    Level:
    Easy
    • Thanksgiving

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons butter, plus 2 tablespoons butter
    • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    • 3 tablespoons flour
    • 1 1/2 cup hot milk
    • 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar
    • 2 heads broccoli, cut into 2-inch pieces, quickly steamed
    • 1 1/2 cups crushed butter crackers

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add in onions and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in flour and stir to coat onions. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in hot milk. Return to heat and bring to asimmer. Stir in cheese by the handful. Add broccoli to the cheesesauce and pour into buttered casserole dish.

Melt remaining butter in a small skillet and stir in cracker crumbs. Cover the broccoli casserole with the buttered cracker crumbs. Bake until bubbly and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.

• rockabillybetty
    November 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    Yaaay!! Yummy Thank You!!! Still drooling lol

Quoting frndlyfn:

mmmmmmmmmm broccoli cheese casserole.   I have to google for the recipe.

Broccoli and Cheese Casserole

Recipe courtesy Cathy Lowe

Total Time:
    50 min
    Prep
    20 min
    Cook
    30 min
    Yield:
    4 to 6 servings
    Level:
    Easy
    • Thanksgiving

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons butter, plus 2 tablespoons butter
    • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    • 3 tablespoons flour
    • 1 1/2 cup hot milk
    • 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar
    • 2 heads broccoli, cut into 2-inch pieces, quickly steamed
    • 1 1/2 cups crushed butter crackers

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add in onions and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in flour and stir to coat onions. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in hot milk. Return to heat and bring to asimmer. Stir in cheese by the handful. Add broccoli to the cheesesauce and pour into buttered casserole dish.

Melt remaining butter in a small skillet and stir in cracker crumbs. Cover the broccoli casserole with the buttered cracker crumbs. Bake until bubbly and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.

Advice for Moms