Featured Posts
Cafe Amanda
Working From Home Is Easy...
November 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM

If you don't have kids!

This one will make any mom who's ever had to work from home with kids underfoot really LOL - or heck, any mom who's had to try and make a phone call, read an important piece of mail, or deal with basically anything as long as kids are around!

Do you - or did you - ever work from home while your kids were home, too?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

Replies

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    November 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I knew I wanted to work from home, but I was the primary breadwinner (teacher) and I carried the benefits, so I never thought it would happen.  But, I kept at it and did a zillion smaller PT WAH jobs to 'earn my dues' over 2 - 2/12 years and eventually made that dream come true.

I started working from home part time (while working outside of the home full time) when my kids were 6, 2 and in my belly.  :)

I would work full time teaching all day, spend the evening with the kids, go to bed, then get up at 3:00am and work until 6:30am when I had to get everyone up and head off to work again.  It was exhausting.

Then I finally found an AMAZING full time work from home job - salary + benefits that paid more than I was earning at my outside teaching job so I was able to finally QUIT teaching.  I was sooo happy.  Pulled my kids right out of daycare.  That was almost 5 years ago now and I couldn't be happier.

When the kids were little, I would work while holding the baby, and the other two would have tons of things to do/play with around my desk.  I taught them that mommy had "big work" and "little work". 

Big work meant I was on a call with colleagues or customers and they had to be VERY quiet.  Little work meant I was working on emails, presentations, etc. and they could interrupt and make noise.

I also invested in a top quality noise cancelling microphone so when I was on a web conference if they happened to make noise - no one in the conference would hear it.

Between meetings and presentations I would play with the kids, go for a walk outside, etc.

Now - nearly 5 years later - they are all growing up and in school and I'm home all alone.  It's amazing how much more work I get done!  When they're home on break the same rules apply as they always have, only now my oldest (who is now 13) also babysits for me - and I pay him for that.  :)

I hope I NEVER have to go back to working outside of the home.  This lifestyle suits me perfectly - and I admit there are more days I work in my jammies than in 'clothes'.   LOL

• happygirls
    November 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Lmao. Yeah, my youngest ended up in preschool a little earlier than planned because my idea on how working at home with kids would be, was a little too optimistic.

• Ecobabyz
    November 16, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I work from home with 2 small children. For me it's a lot harder than working outside the home IMO! I try to work when they nap. :)

• Jackiehawk
    November 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM

So true, thats why my two go to daycare!

• needadvice1983
    November 16, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    I work from home for an Internet marketing company. I can set my own hours so I just work either after the kids are in bed or when my DH is off. No big deal for me.
  • alysson99
    November 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I have been working at home since before my son was born, he's now 4. This video is true in many ways, although I will say that most of the time, it really isn't that bad. When my son was a baby, it was easy, when he was 1 to about 3, it was more difficult, and then since then it has been easier since he plays by himself more now. I do resort to the tv for conference calls, it is the only sure way to keep them away!

• fred5582
    November 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM

That video was right on! I have a friend who operates 2 at home businesses and has 2 little girls. I believe one is in first grade and the other is in preschool. I have no idea how she does it. Hats off to work at home moms. ~ Linda

• amsp259
    by amsp259
    November 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    Lol so true!!
  • woolftwo
    November 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Yes I did from the time my son was born until he was almost 4 yrs old. I had my own bookkeeping business. And it was absolutely great, I was able to work and I breastfed my son until he weaned himself at 2½. There were also occasions when I would go to a clients to do their payroll or something and he always went with me. It was absolutely heaven, loved every minute of it. Even when I went back to work full-time for someone else he sometimes went to the office with me. And I did still do some bookkeeping work at home.

• Lovingmomfarm
    November 16, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I work from home.  It is no easy task, but I find ways to make it work.  I have a box of toys, a fake computer (an old computer that no longer works), and her own desk. I try to limit phone calls until my daughter is sleeping at nap time though.  

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN