Featured Posts
Cafe Amanda
Working From Home Is Easy...
November 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM

If you don't have kids!

This one will make any mom who's ever had to work from home with kids underfoot really LOL - or heck, any mom who's had to try and make a phone call, read an important piece of mail, or deal with basically anything as long as kids are around!

Do you - or did you - ever work from home while your kids were home, too?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

Replies

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    November 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I knew I wanted to work from home, but I was the primary breadwinner (teacher) and I carried the benefits, so I never thought it would happen.  But, I kept at it and did a zillion smaller PT WAH jobs to 'earn my dues' over 2 - 2/12 years and eventually made that dream come true.

I started working from home part time (while working outside of the home full time) when my kids were 6, 2 and in my belly.  :)

I would work full time teaching all day, spend the evening with the kids, go to bed, then get up at 3:00am and work until 6:30am when I had to get everyone up and head off to work again.  It was exhausting.

Then I finally found an AMAZING full time work from home job - salary + benefits that paid more than I was earning at my outside teaching job so I was able to finally QUIT teaching.  I was sooo happy.  Pulled my kids right out of daycare.  That was almost 5 years ago now and I couldn't be happier.

When the kids were little, I would work while holding the baby, and the other two would have tons of things to do/play with around my desk.  I taught them that mommy had "big work" and "little work". 

Big work meant I was on a call with colleagues or customers and they had to be VERY quiet.  Little work meant I was working on emails, presentations, etc. and they could interrupt and make noise.

I also invested in a top quality noise cancelling microphone so when I was on a web conference if they happened to make noise - no one in the conference would hear it.

Between meetings and presentations I would play with the kids, go for a walk outside, etc.

Now - nearly 5 years later - they are all growing up and in school and I'm home all alone.  It's amazing how much more work I get done!  When they're home on break the same rules apply as they always have, only now my oldest (who is now 13) also babysits for me - and I pay him for that.  :)

I hope I NEVER have to go back to working outside of the home.  This lifestyle suits me perfectly - and I admit there are more days I work in my jammies than in 'clothes'.   LOL

• happygirls
    November 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Lmao. Yeah, my youngest ended up in preschool a little earlier than planned because my idea on how working at home with kids would be, was a little too optimistic.

• Ecobabyz
    November 16, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I work from home with 2 small children. For me it's a lot harder than working outside the home IMO! I try to work when they nap. :)

• Jackiehawk
    November 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM

So true, thats why my two go to daycare!

• needadvice1983
    November 16, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    I work from home for an Internet marketing company. I can set my own hours so I just work either after the kids are in bed or when my DH is off. No big deal for me.
  • alysson99
    November 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I have been working at home since before my son was born, he's now 4. This video is true in many ways, although I will say that most of the time, it really isn't that bad. When my son was a baby, it was easy, when he was 1 to about 3, it was more difficult, and then since then it has been easier since he plays by himself more now. I do resort to the tv for conference calls, it is the only sure way to keep them away!

• fred5582
    November 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM

That video was right on! I have a friend who operates 2 at home businesses and has 2 little girls. I believe one is in first grade and the other is in preschool. I have no idea how she does it. Hats off to work at home moms. ~ Linda

• amsp259
    by amsp259
    November 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    Lol so true!!
  • woolftwo
    November 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Yes I did from the time my son was born until he was almost 4 yrs old. I had my own bookkeeping business. And it was absolutely great, I was able to work and I breastfed my son until he weaned himself at 2½. There were also occasions when I would go to a clients to do their payroll or something and he always went with me. It was absolutely heaven, loved every minute of it. Even when I went back to work full-time for someone else he sometimes went to the office with me. And I did still do some bookkeeping work at home.

• Lovingmomfarm
    November 16, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I work from home.  It is no easy task, but I find ways to make it work.  I have a box of toys, a fake computer (an old computer that no longer works), and her own desk. I try to limit phone calls until my daughter is sleeping at nap time though.  

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts