Advice for Moms

Cafe Amanda
Need Help Getting Your Kids to Sleep in Their Own Beds?
November 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Tired of your kids crawling into bed with you and keeping you from getting enough sleep? Daphne's got the solution to end those co-sleeping blues and get your whole family though the night!

rolling on floordo not disturb

Do your kids still share a bed with you for all or some of the night?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

Replies

• reizenskitty
    November 20, 2012 at 2:32 PM

my son used to climb in bed with me in the middle of the night before we moved and after when he got a twin bed and his own room he doesnt climb into bed he stands in our doorway and crys and plays with the light switch until i get up and bring him back to bed.

• iamcafemom83
    November 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    We are doin the midnight crawl. This was funny though!
  • JP-StrongForTwo
    November 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Well, whatever works for you is great for you I guess. My daughter slept with us until she was 7, and she chose to go to her own bed on her own time. it was an easy transition and we had no stress or troubles with it. 

• Courtnut
    November 20, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    I love how people give me crap for not wanting to cosleep yet they're the ones bitching about their 3 and 5 year olds sleeping in their bed with dad on the couch and no sex life. I don't care if others cosleep, I just figure its the one time of day away from kids to be a couple and I think its good for kids to have some independence in their own space.
  • kajira
    by kajira
    November 20, 2012 at 7:10 PM

We co sleep, but once they are mostly potty trained, i'm ready for them to go to their own bed, but I make the transition fun, and special... and I don't push it too fast.

The bathroom counter is a great place for a few minutes of alone time with my hubby... same with the shower.... or the garage. :P

• snuggiewoogie
    November 20, 2012 at 7:34 PM

My child is 9 and still wants to sleep in the bed with me! I think she will be in my bed till she 18.....lol....

• diaperstodating
    November 20, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    I can't fit in my 4 year olds toddler bed, your son must have a twin size bed, lol.

Quoting Bitterroot:

I actually prefer to sleep in my 4yod's bedroom (in her bed) rather than my own.  My husband tosses and turns, snores really loudly, doesn't sleep well himself so he will wake up and get on his iPhone, he gets up to pee, gets up to get a drink, gets up to check out the front window...I don't get ANY sleep in bed with my husband.

With my 4yod?  We curl up and we're snug as a bug in a rug...door shut, fan on...zzzzzzzzzzz

EDIT:  How do we find "alone" time?  We schedule it into our weekends when the kids are napping, or early mornings while all the house is still quiet.  I tip-toe back into bed with him during those times.

• PeaceLoveM
    November 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM

No! :) My kiddo loves sleeping in her own bed.

• ballerossandra
    November 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

not sure why you are lucky though

I don't think moms that cosleep are unlucky

Quoting BaBeezandMe:

What a riot!!!

What I did was put the boys on a sleep schedule IN THEIR OWN CRIB from the moment they came home from the hospital!!  They gave me some trouble when they transitioned from crib to big boy beds but I stuck to "you have to stay in your bed AND sleep in your bed!" and within a few weeks, they were doing great!!

Their bedtime routine NEVER changes.  They take baths, put their jammies on, have a little down time then it's off to bed.  Prayers, kisses and hugs, good nights and they stay there!  I am very lucky

• Gilesmt
    by Gilesmt
    November 21, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I had one of each. My first born slept with me/us because it was the only way to get 20 minutes of sleep, she cried and cried all day and night for 18 months. I don't think she ever slept more than 20 minutes at any time during this and that was a long nap. So for me to get just a minute of sleep she slept in our bed. My second slept in her own bed from day one. 

So from experience there are way more pros than cons to teaching your child to sleep on their own for both you and your child. Both my husband and I slept better the second time around. Our second daughter showed much more independence with everything from potty training, to reading and joining sports. Our first was a cry baby as a baby, she never would go with anyone not even grandparents or sitters so we never had one for her until she was 5, she was shy and bullied as a child by other children, she struggled with school and reading, she potty trained a lot later than our second, more like 3 1/2 compared to 18 months. She had lots of accidents, and wet the bed till 7, our second potty trained at 16 months was totally even night trained by 18 months and never had accidents. 

So for us learning independence and the ability to self sooth has lots of early years pros and does carry on with the child into school years.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts