Featured Posts
saysmom
Babies/toddlers with constipation , hard stools??????
by saysmom
November 15, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I was gone from my 14 month old over the weekend. She had a big bowel movement and not another until yesturday. And it was hard and wouldnt come out. I had to give her a suppository and then it happened again today and I had to dig it out with a spoon. She is still breastfed and eats most table foods. The only think that was changed while I was away was she may have had more cows milk than normal. She gets some here and there at home. But my MIL gave her more than what she is use to. Called the Dr and they said increase fluids (pear juice) for a couple days and see if she gets better. Anybody else deal with this?

Replies

• LoveMommyhood12
    November 15, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Apple juice works really well.  I've found it seems to work better than pear juice for my 13 month old.  I usually just give him one sippy cup full after I notice issues.  I don't let him sip on it all day but will give it to him with meals until his bms are more normal.  I haven't found a pattern to what can make him have hard stools.

• CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    November 15, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Stop giving her dairy products.  Give her water, apple, pear, even prune juice.  Stop digging out her anus, you could hurt something.  If she continues to be constipated take her to the doctor

• Angel_Red7
    November 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM

This is something I have struggled with, with my toddler for some time now. She is now 23 months. No matter what I did, she still ended up constipated. First thing I'd tell you, cut down on the milk. My daughter only gets milk 2-3 times a week. What else worked for my daughter is a fruit laxative and double fiber bread. I give her one so these a day http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiber-Advance-Gummies-for-Kids-60-count/21000229 and a slice of toast of double fiber  bread. With the fruit laxative from the link above I give her a few fruit snacks with it so she will just think its a fruit snack. I have noticed that I sometimes have to remind her to drink her water. I even sometimes will bribe her such as "drink some of your water first and then you can have a snack". 

Also, I would dig her poop out. It really hurts to be constipated and poop hard stools. You can make it a lot worse. The more my daughter hurts the more she will try to hold in her poop which can cause constipation or make it worse. 

Thats the only advice I have. What worked for my toddler: limited amount of milk, warm baths (just let her play in the tub for awhile like 20 to 30 min), a fruit laxative, and double fiber bread for toast or sandwiches. Once you figure out what works, keep it up or she will more than likely just get constipated again. 

• saysmom
    by saysmom
    November 15, 2012 at 4:04 PM

CoeyG- Im not going to let my baby lay there screaming and hurting because she cant get the poop out. She lays there with her anus wide open (size of a .50 piece) with poop hanging out. I put aquafor on it and I am not putting a spoon in her bottom. I just take the spoon and help it come out! I talked to the Dr. today and he said sometimes that is the only think I can do!

• CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    November 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Quoting saysmom:

CoeyG- Im not going to let my baby lay there screaming and hurting because she cant get the poop out. She lays there with her anus wide open (size of a .50 piece) with poop hanging out. I put aquafor on it and I am not putting a spoon in her bottom. I just take the spoon and help it come out! I talked to the Dr. today and he said sometimes that is the only think I can do!

And when you purforate her intestine what is the doctor going to say?  Oh by the way when that happens she will really be screaming because I've had a perforated intestine and that sort of pain anyone will scream about, I know I did

• The_Doodle
    November 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I've had problems with constipation with DD since she was born (she's 2.5 now). I've found a few things that has helped with DD. Limit cows milk (a cup for breakfast and a cup for dinner). If there was a time when I knew she was very constipated, I would giver her a big sippy every day of 1/2 water, 1/4 apple juice and 1/4 prune juice and I'd make sure she drank the whole thing. If she is pushing and actually getting it out but in pain, I will hold her to where she is lying with her head over my shoulder and my boob in front of her stomach. I would gently squeeze her close to me to have pressure on her stomach to help. I put one hand on the small of her back and kind of massage and the other hand supporting her feet (I heard that them pushing with their feet helps them poo). I also gave her one of the puree fruit pouches every day (Gerber and Beechnut has them). If she ever was pushing a lot and couldn't get any out or there was just smears in her diaper, I would give her a glycerin suppository.

• mommaFruFru
    November 15, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    You could try probiotics to get her system back on track
  • haute_couture
    November 15, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Baby probiotics work wonders. Butternut squash, parsnip, pears and prunes are laxative foods as well.

• CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    November 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Quoting The_Doodle:

I've had problems with constipation with DD since she was born (she's 2.5 now). I've found a few things that has helped with DD. Limit cows milk (a cup for breakfast and a cup for dinner). If there was a time when I knew she was very constipated, I would giver her a big sippy every day of 1/2 water, 1/4 apple juice and 1/4 prune juice and I'd make sure she drank the whole thing. If she is pushing and actually getting it out but in pain, I will hold her to where she is lying with her head over my shoulder and my boob in front of her stomach. I would gently squeeze her close to me to have pressure on her stomach to help. I put one hand on the small of her back and kind of massage and the other hand supporting her feet (I heard that them pushing with their feet helps them poo). I also gave her one of the puree fruit pouches every day (Gerber and Beechnut has them). If she ever was pushing a lot and couldn't get any out or there was just smears in her diaper, I would give her a glycerin suppository.

This is what the doctor to me to do when my daughter was constipated, also using a rectal thermometer because they are flexible, spoons are not.  Suppositories are good as well. 

• saysmom
    by saysmom
    November 15, 2012 at 9:40 PM

CoeyG- I used one of those rubber flexible baby spoons. I would never use a stell spoom on her. And I never touched her bottom with i, just the poop!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN