Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
summer62011
kindergarten bedtime and toddler tantrums
November 15, 2012 at 3:21 AM

i dont have an actual bed time. im a night owl and stay up until 4 or 5 am and i put my son to bed at 10 or 10:30. but idk if thats too late for a kindergardener or not...? i really want to get my sleep pattern back but my 17 month old daughter refuses to sleep earlier than 3:30 am. and im really bad at trying to juggle everything :( so i could use some advice on that.

also my daughter throws these fits where she throws herself back or is dead weight or hits her head on things. ive talked to her doctor about it and she says its normal because she is just expressing herself and is in the "terrible 2s" but even if its normal i want them to stop. she throws things and pushes them away if she doesnt want them and i didnt have this problem with my son. any advise?

thirdly i really want to lose weight but i feel like i never have time so i dont bother getting memberships. i have a tredmill at home but never have time to use it. i need to figure out how to make time and lose weight and eat healthy...just kinda get my life together and i could really use some advise. also does anyone know of a good diet pill or supplement. i tried lipozene and it sucked i also tried hcg drops and they made me so sick...

Replies

• frndlyfn
    November 15, 2012 at 3:28 AM

You will not be able to lose weight since you are currently sleep deprived.   What time does the kindergartener have to be up for school?  This age they recommend 10-12 hours of sleep a day.  There will be no quick fixes for any of these things.   For the tantrums if she becomes dead weight in your arms, simply put her on the floor and walk away.  Tell her "mommy does not like when you hurt my arms by flailing backwards""  She may not know what flailing means but will recognize if she does a certain action, she gets put down.   Is she speaking at all so that when she is done with something she can say "done"and put it away nicely?

• emmy526
    by emmy526
    November 15, 2012 at 6:34 AM

how about going to your dr to deal with your insomnia and then ask him about a diet plan...a kindergatner staying up til that late??? Try putting your foot down, and start setting an example for your kids, because what youre' doing isn't settting a good one, and no wonder they act like that, not getting enough sleep.  Take some parenting classes too, to learn effective parenting skills.  if you stay up til 4 or 5 am, who watches your toddler during the day?  or do you stay up again all day til 4 or 5am again?  With the schedule you have yourself on, no wonder your'e having problems.. do you work?  How does a parent allow a 17mos old to 'stay up' til 330am??  She has YOU trained, that's for sure.  And that's a really negative way of looking at your daughter who is nowhere near, the 'terrible two's' at 17mos.  She probably needs more sleep. 

• lorelei27
    November 15, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    My daughter did the same thing and regardless of what I did, what schedule I tried to implement I could not get her down at a reasonable hour. She would also be up within 5 hours even when the house was completely silent and still. She is 5 and sleeping better now but is adhd and still runs off much less sleep than recommended. Its not that she had me trained or that I allowed it, I broke down pretty much nightly but no matter what we tried our the doctor recommended I could not change it. Even getting her up on a few hours sleep did nothing, she was a ball of energy all day and night.

Quoting emmy526:

how about going to your dr to deal with your insomnia and then ask him about a diet plan...a kindergatner staying up til that late??? Try putting your foot down, and start setting an example for your kids, because what youre' doing isn't settting a good one, and no wonder they act like that, not getting enough sleep.  Take some parenting classes too, to learn effective parenting skills.  if you stay up til 4 or 5 am, who watches your toddler during the day?  or do you stay up again all day til 4 or 5am again?  With the schedule you have yourself on, no wonder your'e having problems.. do you work?  How does a parent allow a 17mos old to 'stay up' til 330am??  She has YOU trained, that's for sure.  And that's a really negative way of looking at your daughter who is nowhere near, the 'terrible two's' at 17mos.  She probably needs more sleep. 

• barrelracer1699
    November 15, 2012 at 6:48 AM

I think 10 is way to late for a kindergartner to go to bed. My son is in 1st grade and has an 8-8:30 bedtime. My daughter is the same. She has problems going to sleep sometimes and I do the super nanny way for bed. When she has her spells it takes a couple nites and she is back to going to bed easy!

Tantrums just put them down and walk away.

• emmy526
    by emmy526
    November 15, 2012 at 6:49 AM

that's different if you know your child has a problem, but the OP didn't say anything like that about her kids.  

Quoting lorelei27:

My daughter did the same thing and regardless of what I did, what schedule I tried to implement I could not get her down at a reasonable hour. She would also be up within 5 hours even when the house was completely silent and still. She is 5 and sleeping better now but is adhd and still runs off much less sleep than recommended. Its not that she had me trained or that I allowed it, I broke down pretty much nightly but no matter what we tried our the doctor recommended I could not change it. Even getting her up on a few hours sleep did nothing, she was a ball of energy all day and night.

Quoting emmy526:

• lorelei27
    November 15, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    But at that time we did not know that. I'm just chiming in with my experience but I know from an outside point of view it seems absolutely insane. My family gave me grief about it as well and I offered for them to have her overnight and see if they could do something I couldn't. They refuse to take her to this day lol.

Quoting emmy526:

that's different if you know your child has a problem, but the OP didn't say anything like that about her kids.  

Quoting lorelei27:

Quoting emmy526:

• AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    November 15, 2012 at 6:58 AM
    My kindergartener is in bed by 8-8:30
    10 does seem late.

Your gonna have issues losing weight till you get in a more normal sleep pattern.

Our 2 yr old is in bed by 7:30
    No fight. We got lucky.
  • emmy526
    by emmy526
    November 15, 2012 at 7:01 AM

at any rate, with the schedule mom is on hersself, it is not going to do her kids any good, regardless of any issues the kids have...i seriously wonder how she can function during the day with a 17mo old....unless they both sleep all day long...

Quoting lorelei27:

But at that time we did not know that. I'm just chiming in with my experience but I know from an outside point of view it seems absolutely insane. My family gave me grief about it as well and I offered for them to have her overnight and see if they could do something I couldn't. They refuse to take her to this day lol.

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting lorelei27:

Quoting emmy526:

• sabrtooth1
    November 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Your children need their sleep.  YOU have trained them to stay up late.  Create a bedtime routine--dinner, bath, book, LIGHTS OUT, and put them to bed at a decent hour.  Even if they don't go to sleep, they must stay in their beds.  Let them scream, it will tire them out.

You need to go to bed at a decent hour.  Turn off the TV.  GET OFF THE PUTER.  GO TO BED.

Take the kids and go outside.  Go to the park.  Walk around the block.  It will give all of you exercise and tire you all out. 

Buy a football helmet for your toddler, and let her have her tantrum.  She has TRAINED YOU to run and pick her up every time she screams.  She wants the attention.  BTW, if your toddler has a temper tantrum on the GRASS she won't hurt herself.

Buy less food.   Do NOT buy any junk.  Do not buy any prepared foods.  Cook from scratch--you will use less salt and sugar, and you will stand on your feet more.  Do not buy any soda, Gatorade, SunnyD, or anything except unsweetened apple juice & skim milk.  Drink WATER.  This is better for ALL of you.

• CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    November 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM

In my opinon a 5 year old should be in bed by 9:00, and a two year old should be in bed by 8:00.  your daughter is having tantrums, and when she throws those fits the best bet is to put her in her room until it's over.  I would venture to say that p.  art of her problem is that she isn't getting enough sleep at night.  You need to adopt a bedtime routine for your kids that incluces turning off all the stimulus (television, loud noises, rough play) even turning down the lights.  Give them their baths, brush teeth, get the pjs on, then to bed where they get a story and are tucked in.  

There are no good diet pills. the only good way to lose and maintain weight is to eat proper healthy foods and exercise regularly.  

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts