Featured Posts
mmccrea
5 1/2 Hour Car Ride, Just My 17mo and I...
by mmccrea
November 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Any advice?  We are going to my parent's house for Thanksgiving.  My dh has to work, so it is just me and my 17 month old.  I have no idea how this is going to work.  He has only been sleeping for an hour or 2 max in the car lately...I am pretty worried this is not going to be a quiet drive.

Replies

• mamalusbear
    November 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Music, I'd stop every couple of hours and walk around, let him stretch his legs.

• IcU2
    by IcU2
    November 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM
    Leave either really early in the morning at a time he would normally be asleep or after dinner close to his bedtime.
  • LucyHarper
    November 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Just keep it fun, tell stories, tell him to look out the window and talk about what you see, play guessing games, and bring small quiet toys. Bring along some snacks and plan a few stops so he can stretch his legs.

• blondie.mom
    November 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM
    Stop every couple hours or so, play music he likes (maybe from a favorite show?). We make a 4 hour trip to our relatives every few months, and we bring our laptop which has shows/movies on it for our 6 year old and our now 2 year old.
  • blondie.mom
    November 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM
    Great idea. When we make our trips we try to leave right before naptime.

Quoting IcU2:

Leave either really early in the morning at a time he would normally be asleep or after dinner close to his bedtime.
  • AnAngelsKiss
    November 15, 2012 at 1:04 AM
    Eewwweee Mama gl to you. I agree with stopping every couple hrs to let his legs strech. Keep him awake as much as possible before the trip to ensure he sleeps as much as possible in the car. Give him travel toys to keep him ocupied. May you take as much patience with you as you can gather up. GL
  • mmccrea
    by mmccrea
    November 15, 2012 at 2:17 PM

BUMP!

• CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    November 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Put the radio on, but not loud, sing along and get him to sing along.  Make a couple stops along the way to let him get out and "stretch his legs" That is what roadside rest stops are for.  Don't forget to take along a couple of toys he can play with out there, a ball would be good.  Or just walk around for a bit before you get back in and have to strap him back into his car seat.  

• heidi749
    November 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Ever year my SO & I have to do a long ride with our DS, we always leave at about 5am or 6am, we stop to eat around 8am or 9am, so about 3 hrs of driving before we stop. When DS was under 2, I used a portable DVD and would put a Baby Einstein video on for him, and other baby type dvds he liked, and brought other little things he liked to play with, to keep him from going crazy, or driving us crazy lol. Snacks and water are always a great thing to have to.

• mmccrea
    by mmccrea
    November 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM

That is a great idea.  I wish my mom wouldn't have given mine away when I left it at her house!!!  

Quoting heidi749:

Ever year my SO & I have to do a long ride with our DS, we always leave at about 5am or 6am, we stop to eat around 8am or 9am, so about 3 hrs of driving before we stop. When DS was under 2, I used a portable DVD and would put a Baby Einstein video on for him, and other baby type dvds he liked, and brought other little things he liked to play with, to keep him from going crazy, or driving us crazy lol. Snacks and water are always a great thing to have to.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN