Advice for Moms

momofsunshine77
martial arts
November 14, 2012 at 4:46 PM

What are thoughts about starting my 3 1/2 year old dd in martial arts?  I am indecisive about it, dont know if she is too young, should wait, or see if she can become something great at it. 

Thoughts? 

Replies

• marchantmom06
    November 14, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Here they don't even start until 4 and then it's just little things. I personally wouldn't I think it's a waste of time.
  • momofsunshine77
    November 14, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Thank you  for the input.  I think I may wait until she is older.  DH wants her to learn to protect herself and I just think she needs to be older to understand more. 

Quoting marchantmom06:

Here they don't even start until 4 and then it's just little things. I personally wouldn't I think it's a waste of time.

• marchantmom06
    November 14, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    What does she need to protect herself from at 3? I think that's absurd. Don't let him borrow trouble.

Quoting momofsunshine77:

Thank you  for the input.  I think I may wait until she is older.  DH wants her to learn to protect herself and I just think she needs to be older to understand more. 

Quoting marchantmom06:

• meghansmommy987
    November 14, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    The girl I nanny is 4 and is in ta kwon doe, she's with a wide age range of kids, but she enjoys it. They do lots of fun activites & the Sensi is very laid back. Her dad is a brown belt and also believes anyone (no matter their age) should know how to protect themselves. I would put my dd in the class, but I want her to learn how to swim first.
    Oh just ask the teacher first to see if se can join one class to decide if she/you like it.
  • momofsunshine77
    November 14, 2012 at 5:09 PM

DH is thinking of being able to protect herself as she gets older.  He thinks that if she starts young she will remember and it will be second nature so to speak.  Becoming good at it takes time.  I kinda agree because I had a few self defense classes when I was in my 20s but I dont remember what to do or how. 

Quoting marchantmom06:

What does she need to protect herself from at 3? I think that's absurd. Don't let him borrow trouble.

Quoting momofsunshine77:

Quoting marchantmom06:

• marchantmom06
    November 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    I would start in 4th or 5th grade. Maybe do it for a few years and see if she likes it. Most places don't do it for self defense anymore but to build the child up.

Quoting momofsunshine77:

DH is thinking of being able to protect herself as she gets older.  He thinks that if she starts young she will remember and it will be second nature so to speak.  Becoming good at it takes time.  I kinda agree because I had a few self defense classes when I was in my 20s but I dont remember what to do or how. 

Quoting marchantmom06:

Quoting momofsunshine77:

Quoting marchantmom06:

• boys2men2soon
    November 14, 2012 at 5:50 PM

She is awfully young.   I would wait at least a year, maybe two.     Unless she sticks with it for a few years, she won't really be taught self defense.    In my experience, the little kids learn basic moves.   The children have to be able to listen and follow instructions well, and most importantly, must be old enough to understand that it is never okay to use martial arts except in self defense.  It is not playground games.

My son started Kenpo Karate at age 5.   He placed 1st or 2nd in every tournament he participated in...he caught on fast and enjoyed it.    It was very time consuming (and expensive) and he chose to quit to have time to try other sports.   He remembers very little.

• momofsunshine77
    November 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM

thanks everyone!!!

• CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    November 14, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Too young.  Martial arts takes a lot of focus and attention chid is far too young.  Wat at least two more years.  

• mhaney03
    November 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Our class don't take them until they are 5.  I have a friend that runs a BJJ studio and takes little ones under 5 in a separate class.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts