Advice for Moms

mmccrea
Colds and Wive's Tales
by mmccrea
November 14, 2012 at 12:11 PM

My 17 month old has a cold.  Is it true that he shouldn't go out in the cold?  It is about 35 degrees here today.  Also, should we just lounge around rather than play all day?  Should I let him watch Sesame Street since it makes him happy?  What do you guys do?

Replies

• AdoptingMommy
    November 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    I would take him out and let him breath for a moment, Dont have it stuffy in the house. And just let him do what he loves. He doesnt feel good.
  • atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    November 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    Cold weather does not cause colds. Colds are viruses.
  • sweetieiv
    November 14, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    My sons pedi said it was actually good to let a child get some fresh air when he has a cold. It opens up his nostrils. That doesn't mean go to the park and let him jump around either. Just let him watch his seasame street and make him some chicken soup.
  • wulfeyes05
    November 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Cold air can unstuff his nose, just make sure to bundle him up or you could steam up the bathroom and set in there with him for a few minutes. Oh and let him watch what makes him happy.

• alexis_06
    November 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM

a lil bit of fresh air is always a good thing.  just take it easy, let him hang around and watch sesame street.  lazy days are nice once in a while  :)  especially when not feeling good

• sreichelt26
    November 14, 2012 at 2:50 PM

This. The cold air can actually help with congestion and is a recommended treatment for croup.

You can take him out to play, just make sure he's dressed warm. Otherwise lots of rest and fluids and snuggles.

TV is up to you. Our TV is on all the time.

Quoting atlmom2:

Cold weather does not cause colds. Colds are viruses.

• KalenaRose11
    November 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    i saw on Dr. Oz that having chicken noodle soup can actually help. by breathing in some of the broth it helps with the stuff/runny nose.
  • CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    November 14, 2012 at 6:14 PM

The cold is not going to hurt the child at all.  The fresh air and sunlight can actually help.  He doesn't have to stay in bed, he can play if he feels like playing.  It's a cold, not near death.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts