Advice for Moms

kuntz21
frustrated Momma, please help
by kuntz21
November 13, 2012 at 4:14 AM

Prego and 22month who will not sleep at night Any thoughts on how to help a sleep deprived stubborn little boy to sleep at night. he wakes up any where from 2:30-4 am and will not go back to sleep.. I have eliminated other problems such as room problems, darkness,hungery pains. I refuse to co-sleep because I still not get good night sleep. my husband works and i do not want to wake my other 3 year old son. So it just feels like i have give into my youngest son to keep him from screaming so everyone can get some sleep.. I've tried the crying out method which did and does not work for him. the going in every little while and that didn't work.. He is getting up because he needs more sleep but he won't get more sleep.. Please Help 

Replies

• frndlyfn
    November 13, 2012 at 4:42 AM

Have you tried white noise or playing soothing music?  We have a fan constantly going so i can sleep through the night. My dd did not sleep through the night until after age 3 but at least when she woke up she would fall back to sleep fairly fast.   Has he always had a hard time sleeping?

• gacgbaker
    November 13, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Playing music does sometimes help to soothe them to sleep.  Having a regular routine (bath, read a story, cuddle, then sleep time or something like that) can help a lot too.

• funhappymom
    November 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Quoting gacgbaker:

Playing music does sometimes help to soothe them to sleep.  Having a regular routine (bath, read a story, cuddle, then sleep time or something like that) can help a lot too.

I agree with this. Is he napping during the day? If so how long, if not maybe try laying him down for an hour even if he doesn't nap, but just lays there it could help.

• NeverABreak
    November 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Would you consider letting your 22 month old camp out in your 3 year old's room? It can be scary being alone at night at that age.

• kuntz21
    by kuntz21
    November 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM

my  22 month old has always slept with someone he was our room than him and his brother shared a room and now he is in a room by himself which i do believe that was the problem at first but I have taken steps to help with that issue.. He only naps once a day and that is not the problem because he has no problem falling asleep or going to bed. just not waking at night and soothing himself back to sleep. I've tired the crying out method but i do not want my 3 year old to lose sleep and my husband works.. We are gonn try him in a daybed.. what can i lose other than sleep which i'm not getting any way..lol thanks everyone!!!

• Lindalou907
    November 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM

How about one of those toys that lights up when you hug it? Tell him when you put him to bed that tonight Mommy is going to need lots of sleep so when he wakes up he needs to hug the toy instead,and then let him cry it out. Girl, you HAVE to get your sleep! It will only take a couple of nights,he'll learn.

• firespurity
    November 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM

is there an option to put them back in the same room for a few more months?

Quoting kuntz21:

my  22 month old has always slept with someone he was our room than him and his brother shared a room and now he is in a room by himself which i do believe that was the problem at first but I have taken steps to help with that issue.. He only naps once a day and that is not the problem because he has no problem falling asleep or going to bed. just not waking at night and soothing himself back to sleep. I've tired the crying out method but i do not want my 3 year old to lose sleep and my husband works.. We are gonn try him in a daybed.. what can i lose other than sleep which i'm not getting any way..lol thanks everyone!!!

• CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    November 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM

PUt the three year old and the almost two year old in the same room.  

• bamamom474
    November 13, 2012 at 11:43 PM

If he is taking a nap dont let him sleep as long or make his nap alittle early. Even sleeping with a toy can help my son has done that since he was two and he is three now. The music dd not work for my kids but you can try. but dont give up a day or two if it does not work give him sometime

• mamalusbear
    November 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I'd put them in the same room...although there were other bedrooms in our house while I was growing up my sister and I shared a room until I was 8 or 9 years old.  My parents gave us our own bedrooms when I was three, but at that age we were too petrified to sleep alone.  It's comforting to have someone else in the room when you're little...plus we became good friends and were always buddies.

Advice for Moms