Advice for Moms

Nicsone
My daughter is going bald!
by Nicsone
November 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Ok not totally but my 3 year old has a bald spot on the top of her head and a slightly smaller one over more toward her temple. Her pediatrician is leaning toward alopecia areata (sp?) but referred us to a dermatologist for further testing, diagnosis and treatment. My question is, has anyone her dealt with this before? And if so can you giver me any advice? My biggest fear is she will either lose more hair or never grow this hair back and will get made fun of as she grows older.

Replies

• balagan_imma
    November 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM

There was a girl in my DD's class who had alopecia. The first day of class the mom came in and read the kids a story about it with her DD sitting on her lap.The class was very encouraging and loved to see what the little girl would wear on her head each day - funky hat, color wig or regular wig. It was her glowing spirit that inspired everyone.

I also know a woman who got it as an adult. She decicded to shave her head when it got really bad. Again, her amazing spirit is an inspiration. She also radically changed her diet - went vegan, then raw vegan and swears it has helped more than any of the doctor's treatments.

• LittleBirdFly
    November 15, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I am sorry to hear that. But I would say go to the doctor and see what going on. My daughter was born without hair and never grew any. I know the feeling when other kids make fun of her, its heartbreaking.

• LittleBirdFly
    November 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM

that sounds like a big outch! What type of shots were thoese?

Quoting hkcason:

My sister had a form of it. She had to have shots in her head, not as bad as it sounds. Today she has a full head of hair.

• Nicsone
    by Nicsone
    November 15, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    We went to the Dr on Tuesday. She was diagnosed with alopecia areata. Now wee just play everything by ear.

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

I am sorry to hear that. But I would say go to the doctor and see what going on. My daughter was born without hair and never grew any. I know the feeling when other kids make fun of her, its heartbreaking.

• Nicsone
    by Nicsone
    November 15, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    Probably steroid. Since it is auto immune it helps with swelling and can help with hair regrowth. They are trying an ointment on my DD first.

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

that sounds like a big outch! What type of shots were thoese?

Quoting hkcason:

My sister had a form of it. She had to have shots in her head, not as bad as it sounds. Today she has a full head of hair.

• C.S.K.L
    by C.S.K.L
    November 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    She is adorable, and I absolutely love her hat!

Quoting Sheilamommyof3:

Thank u :-)

Quoting alexis_06:

that is such a cute picture! she has such beautiful eyes!!

Quoting Sheilamommyof3:

This is my daughter rashel..she is 4 and has alopecia and lost her hair when she was 18mnths. If u have questions or just wna talk feel free to email me :-)

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    November 15, 2012 at 4:25 PM

A friend's daughter had several brain surgeries. They bought her a cute "Annie" wig to wear during times of baldness.

• Sheilamommyof3
    November 15, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    Thnk u :-) its her newest one..they had a black on to that I wna get.

Quoting C.S.K.L:

She is adorable, and I absolutely love her hat!

Quoting Sheilamommyof3:

Thank u :-)

Quoting alexis_06:

that is such a cute picture! she has such beautiful eyes!!

Quoting Sheilamommyof3:

This is my daughter rashel..she is 4 and has alopecia and lost her hair when she was 18mnths. If u have questions or just wna talk feel free to email me :-)

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts